Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jap Rock adventure

• 17-03-2009 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Hi All, I am going on a jap rock sonic adventure, I hope to dig into sounds such as Acid Mothers Temple etc and I have some pointers as to where I should start. However I would be very pleased to get any advice, especially on where to purchase this material (e.g. any english language friendly Japanese MP3 sites), what i should/should not check out etc.

Cheers

D amon Jewel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, there's www.cdjapan.co.jp but it can be a little on the expensive side. I've ordered a few things over Ebay, and through Amazon.co.uk though.

As for some bands to check out, not really sure if this is what you're looking for, but have you heard Boris?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Thanks Karl, thought you might have some ideas.

here are some of the bands I am checking out

People

Blues Creation

Flower travellin' band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

donk know much about J-rock but this is one band i really enjoy
    theres a best of thats easy enough to come by here

Tidied that up for you Calex71

damonjewel wrote: »
    Thanks Karl, thought you might have some ideas.

here are some of the bands I am checking out

Some class stuff right there. A few things that might tickle your fancy, are Ashada:

Shingetsu:

Sigh, might be too metal for your tastes, but some of their stuff is very prog/psychedelic leaning, not your typical metal at all:

Not sure if you're into much Jazz Fusion, but I can't help mentioning Hiromi Uehara, because she's just astonishing:

Shiina Ringo is one fantastic artist, she's really hard to pin down, genre-hopping like the best of 'em and creating some really fantastic and varied music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

damonjewel wrote: »

Tidied that up for you Calex71

Amazing band,too bad they're split up :(

If you want more though,here are the side projects:

The singers band,"WagDug" have one album out so far called "Hakai"

The touring guitarist "TORUxxx" is in the band "Undown"

The Bassist,Takeshi is in the band AA= (absolute amazing,check out their album #1)

I'd like to throw in "Maximum The Hormone" who I discovered recently but are already one of my favourite bands.
    Think Mad Capsule Markets + System Of A Down + Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

hmmmmmmmmmmmm ill deffo have to check out Maximum The Hormone , cheers for that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I highly suggest reading Julian Cope's Japrocksampler as an introduction to 70s Japanese rock. Of this era, Flower Travellin' Band's Satori is absolutely essential (I know someone linked the video above but the album is something you really have to experience as a whole). Their other albums pale in comparison (despite Julian Cope's love of them).

Far East Family Band's Nipponjin and The Cave Down to the Earth are also well worth investigating, especially if you're into krautrock (Klaus Schulze produced some of their work). Very trippy.

Les Rallizes Dénudés are a much darker and heavier band, most of their recordings are fairly poor because 99.9999999999% of what's available is essentially a bootleg. Some are better than others. Heavier Than a Death in the Family, Blind Baby Has Its Mother's Eyes and Flightless Bird are great introductions but these are an expensive band to like.

More modern bands worth investigating are Boris (as KH mentioned). However, steer clear of anything released after Pink as it will be rubbish. Pink, Flood, Amplifier Worship, Absolutego and Akuma no Uta are all essential (and completely different to each other, if you don't like one that doesn't necessarily mean you won't like the others).

Acid Mothers Temple are probably best seen live. They've some great CDs but they also have hundreds of mediocre ones. Anthem of the Space, Do Cosmic Shephards Dream of Electric Tapirs, In C and Absolute Freak Out (Zap Your Mind!!) are all worth getting but just beware that some of the other many, many releases are duds! It may also be worth checking out AMT's mainman Kawabata Makoto as his solo stuff tends to be more hit than miss.

Ghost are a kind of prog folk band with some seriously rocking interludes. A strong Pink Floyd (the good early PF) influence but far from just a Japanese imitation. They've yet to put out a bad album. Some of the tracks get a bit wild (free improvisation) but even if you're not into that, the actual songs are bloody strong. Hypnotic Underworld and In Stormy Nights are good starting points. Their guitarist, Michio Kurihara, is amazing and is on Boris' album Rainbow which is worth getting (even if I think it breaks my cardinal rule about Boris albums...).

LSD March are another freaky band, hard to describe them as anything other than psychedelica (but not in the sitars and beards sense). Some albums are a bit **** but Empty Rubious Red is phenomenal.

Corrupted are a doom metal band that are quite difficult to find but worth the effort. You can usually pick up the albums online but the singles always go for silly money on ebay, discogs, etc. They're not a straightforward riffs and more riffs doom band, they really play with the style and have things like a 45 minute piano track that is still as crushing as their guitar assault. Paso Inferior and Llenandose De Gusanos are the ones to start with.

If you're feeling really adventurous, try Keiji Haino for some of the most intense and alienating music you've ever heard. His band Fu****susha is more rock orientated and might be a good introduction. His solo stuff can be really out there (think no melodies, no rhythm, no harmonies, no structure and no mercy!).

If you're feeling masochistic, try Merzbow, Masonna, Incapacitants, C.C.C.C. or KK Null for some heavy noise action. Think of the description of Haino above but a billion times louder. First hearing Merzbow was like hearing a megaton bomb go off in my stereo!

Other artists I'm not totally familiar with but might be of interest are The Boredoms, Melt Banana and High Rise (all quite listenable but not bands I've really explored).

John wrote: »
    I highly suggest reading Julian Cope's Japrocksampler as an introduction to 70s Japanese rock..

Hi John

Yes I have been lent that book by a friend, however like Krautrocksampler I think its better to hear some of the music first before delving in. I already had a good prior knowledge before I read Krautrocksampler but apart from Acid Mothers Temple, Japrock is totally new to me.

However thanks for the pointers I will check them out. Certainly that 70's heavy psych sound is what I'm after!

Cheers, D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 tkyn22

I don't know any mp3 site but you might like DMBQ if you like psych.
    Saw them live, mad and weird...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEgjIYsouN0

my favourite band is always Electric Eel Shock :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8mzp9fmub4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Know nothing of Jap Rock beyond a couple of AMT albums/gigs but couldn't help but google "jap prog" after seeing this thread and found this article which led to Bi Kyo Ran (wiki)

Very, very good

Ok some of my purchases are beginning to arrive, it ain't cheap but so far what I have got has been well worth it

First Up Satori by Flower Travellin band
    I highly suggest reading Julian Cope's Japrocksampler as an introduction to 70s Japanese rock. Of this era, Flower Travellin' Band's Satori is absolutely essential (I know someone linked the video above but the album is something you really have to experience as a whole). Their other albums pale in comparison (despite Julian Cope's love of them)

I agree with all of this, brilliant stuff altogether, reminds me of Amon Duul II circa Yeti. A must for Jap Rock enthusiasts. My only regret is that I didn't get it on vinyl, some lovely artwork inside and out that the cd packaging doesn't do any justice

Hears another taste

Les Rallizes Dénudés are a much darker and heavier band, most of their recordings are fairly poor because 99.9999999999% of what's available is essentially a bootleg. Some are better than others. Heavier Than a Death in the Family, Blind Baby Has Its Mother's Eyes and Flightless Bird are great introductions but these are an expensive band to like.

Wow these guys certainly are not for the faint hearted, think Velvet underground using a tin can to record. I bought Yodo go a go go (flightless bird) the title is I think is a reference to a successful hijack of a plane carried out by the band's bassplayer, who was a communist activist and took the plane to North Korea, I'm cereal! When they really get going they are the noisiest band in the world, with eardrum piercing guitar

Found this on youtube which should give you all an idea

Finally People Ceremony

Beautiful album very laid back bass grooves, very accessible, I have linked a track already which is very typical of the album. I totally recommend this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

If you've got an LP player, track down Up-Tight The Beginning of the End. It's their new album and only available on vinyl (and limited to 210 copies!) and it is IMMENSE! They're often compared to Les Rallizes but they're way more listenable, shades of My Bloody Valentine and psychedelica. Their first album (reissued as Early Years on Archive records) is worth checking out too but this new one is definitely their best (and one of the best albums I've heard this year to boot).

Sounds right up my street, I have placed an order with 8mm. Cheers for that.

Meanwhile I have been really getting into the Far East Family Band. Will post some more info when I get some time!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Dir en grey and Sex Machineguns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Hmm, another bump from me today, been browsing around a few different sites looking for some more Japanese Prog today. Found some interesting things...

Other artists I'm not totally familiar with but might be of interest are The Boredoms

I have checked out the Boredoms "vision creation new sun". It is the most breathtaking thing I have ever heard for a good while. Takes a while to get cracking but well worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sPxde77NRE&feature=PlayList&p=1E7E7A1112E53AA7&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=35

Advertisement