Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crate training problems.

Options
  • 17-03-2009 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm getting a Labrador pup soon and have opted for crate training. I know the steps of introduction and housebreaking but I'm wondering how to I set up the crate so that in the time were the dog sleeps in the crate but isn't house broke, it won't make a huge mess and soak its bed. ?

All help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

You have to start slowly, the dog wont dirty it's bed if you approach it correctly. Never leave it alone in the crate for too long. You will have to get up once maybe twice a night for the first while to allow the pup go out and clean itself. They can't hold it very long as pups.

Crate training your dog is great, I found it a godsend.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055463377&highlight=crateneed

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sean.carolan100

Well yes I can let it out at night but it's going to be one its own for 4 hours a day and there is guaranteed to 1 or 2 accidents so I'm wondering is there 'waterproof' beds you can get or what? I've also heard there is some kind mesh base you can get. What is that called?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I dont know about mesh base, never heard of it tbh, i know there is a vet bed thing you can get with a rubber back, washable, and any liquid is pulled down under the rubber and can't get back through, but doesn;t it defeat the purpose of crate training? I would say you shouldn't put a pup in a crate if you can guarantee an accident. It will onviously happen occasionally but if you know that it will happen, leave the pup out of the crate while you are out for those 4 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cesarbart

if you do run into any probs usually that come from unclean breeders, like they are willign to soil the crate, refer online to "Misty method", it works a treat for starting the dogs off, then follow the advice above. Misty method is usually for very young pups. Naturally dogs will keep their crate clean but humans always have a way of upsetting these things. GoodLuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

We crate trained all ours very easily

1- They had a set feeding times & all water was lifted & hour or so before they're bedtime, bedtime was a set time too

2- The crate was places in the bedroom for the first couple of weeks, alarm was set for every few hours & they were let out to the back garden & then put back into the crate or you can wait until the yelp to get out, but in some cases the pup will learn that yelping gets him out even if he just wants attention.. therefore the alarm one is better!

3- If the crate is too big the pup will more than likely soil one end & sleep in the other end, so therefore split the cage & allow the pup enough place to comfortably sleep in & stretch out in. I found that loosely hanging an old sheet over the crate made them sleep better it acted as a lights out, sleeptime thing.

4- After a couple of weeks the crate was moved to the kithcen & they were given full use of all the cage & no accidents, but the sheet over it still remains till this day hung over them at night, as they know when the sheet goes down that's it until it's lifted in the morning & there is never a peep put of them when it's down

• Advertisement
Advertisement