Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

growing herbs for the first time

Options
  • 17-03-2009 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I've picked up a few packets of herb seeds from the local hardware store and wanted to ask a few questions

Can I use ordinary compost to sow these in - I have heard of seed compost, however I have a bag of 'ordinary' (I want to say multi bionta!) compost out the back and wondering if that will do?

I also have several plastic plant pots and tupperware that I was planning on using initially to sow the seeds into. Some of the packets talk about a propogator - is this essentially a mini greenhouse and would clingfilm stretched over the top of the pot do initially?

They pots/tubs will all be in our sunroom initally

any advice gratefully received thanks!

Jim

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

sunrooms can get cold at night, so maybe bring them in somewhere else after dark.I wouldn't bother with the clingfilm .What do you hope to plant?Basil is easy peasy. parsley is best sowed where you want it to grow, historically used to be set on good Friday

Advertisement