Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one thing I hate about Paddy's day!

Options
  • 17-03-2009 7:05pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Every year, the Tolka is re-stocked, and the fisherman gather in droves along the tolka to fish. There are always plenty along the rivver Road stretch of the Tolka, and every year they feel the need to start fires along the river bank, and generally leave the place in a mess after them.

Same this year, smoke everywhere this afternoon.

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

One thing I hated about Paddy's Day, the Ceili in town was cancelled :( something about it being bad lastyear with fights and stuff..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

In my youth I remember people saying that Paddy's day used to be a black day, ie. the pubs were closed by law because of all the public order issues making it hard for the guards to cope with.
    One of the reasons given was that Paddy's day was customarily taken as a day to "vent your spleen", ie. if you had a grudge or complaint against someone you were suppose to confront them about it and "have it out" in public.
    If you didn't do it by paddy's day it was considered forgotten and couldn't be brouight up afterwards.
    I suppose this stuff happened when Ireland was poor, under British rule and most people didn't have access to the law as we do now.
    It would be a great pity if Paddy's day reverted to being a non-drinking day because of the actions of a few louts on the rest of the Irish population.
    As a man who is fond of a pint it would be a pity but if the behaviour continues the powers-that-be might have no other choice.
    Spare a thought for A and E staff, guards, barmen and other people who have to work on this day so the rest of us can enjoy it.

Advertisement