Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting for all firearms owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

minister said that any pistol licenced after his statment may not be renewed come sep.

Memo said no pistols are to be licenced from ministers statement.

Simple:D;):P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

chem wrote: »
    minister said that any pistol licenced after his statment may not be renewed come sep.
    No he didn't. Read it again.

That's what he said, read it again.

So no difference then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

In fairness chem this is the direct link to his press release and it specifically says

• no new licences will be issued for handguns.

So its not really news to a lot of people.

Vegeta wrote: »
    In fairness chem this is the direct link to his press release and it specifically says

• no new licences will be issued for handguns.

So its not really news to a lot of people.

And this bit means what??

The Bill will provide for the revocation of any handgun licenses which may be issued between now and the enactment of the legislation and it is intended that anyone applying for a handgun license in that period will be informed of that fact.

And this bit means what??

The Bill will provide for the revocation of any handgun licenses which may be issued between now and the enactment of the legislation and it is intended that anyone applying for a handgun license in that period will be informed of that fact.

It means that any licences that slipped through the net after his statement will be dealt with at renewal time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I'm just a normal shooter, I haven't been involved in any politics so far. But I think it would be just peachy if there was an NGB I could join that didn't actively despise me for having a centrefire pistol licence. Who is looking out for my interests at forums such as the FCB? I could be wrong, but from what I've read of late, there doesn't seem to be anyone.

Regardless of comments in this thread referencing splitters/people's front of judea etc, if there isn't an NGB out there for the likes of me then we have one less than we need right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Still waiting on that scan chem.

rrpc wrote: »
    It means that any licences that slipped through the net after his statement will be dealt with at renewal time.

Ah come on rrpc:pac: So everyone is told that the pistol might not be re licenced but they are banned anyway so whats the point in applying.:confused:

So did you ask the minister what he ment by that statment yourself?

Dr_Teeth wrote: »
    I'm just a normal shooter, I haven't been involved in any politics so far. But I think it would be just peachy if there was an NGB I could join that didn't actively despise me for having a centrefire pistol licence. Who is looking out for my interests at forums such as the FCB? I could be wrong, but from what I've read of late, there doesn't seem to be anyone.

Regardless of comments in this thread referencing splitters/people's front of judea etc, if there isn't an NGB out there for the likes of me then we have one less than we need right now.

With all due respect Dr. Teeth, you need to inform yourself better if you intend to remain in the sport. The NASRPC use centre fire pistol in their competitions as do the NTSA in the ISSF mens 25m pistol competition. Lack of suitable ranges has mitigated the amount of competition held by the NTSA, but Midland held one last year. The NASRPC are holding WA1500 matches nearly every month.

It's not the ranges per se, but the type of target and the timing that causes problems.

Sparks wrote: »
    Still waiting on that scan chem.

At work sparks;) I just have the same letter from DoJ saying:

The Bill will provide for the revocation of any handgun licenses which may be issued between now and the enactment of the legislation and it is intended that anyone applying for a handgun license in that period will be informed of that fact

Same thing you picked up on;)

• Advertisement

I'm just a normal shooter, I haven't been involved in any politics so far. But I think it would be just peachy if there was an NGB I could join that didn't actively despise me for having a centrefire pistol licence.
    The NTSA has a few fullbore pistol shooting events in it's remit (though only up to .38 calibre).
    The NASRPC have a fair few more and handle the WA1500 centerfire shooting amongst others.
    And there are quite a few NRAI shooters with fullbore pistols as well.
    Join up and enjoy.
    Who is looking out for my interests at forums such as the FCB? I could be wrong, but from what I've read of late, there doesn't seem to be anyone.
    The NTSA has it's own seat at the FCP, and the NRAI and the NASRPC are represented through the SSAI seat at the FCP.
    There are three, so does that mean we have one more than we need?

Ah come on rrpc:pac: So everyone is told that the pistol might not be re licenced but they are banned anyway so whats the point in applying.:confused:

So did you ask the minister what he ment by that statment yourself?

I'm not sure what you're getting at here Chem. The Minister said that no new licences for handguns were to be issued. Any that are will be dealt with by the forthcoming legislation. What's not to understand?

And yes I would see no point in applying for a licence and spending money on a handgun in light of the above statement. That's been the advice the NTSA have given and other bodies involved in pistol shooting sports.

At least until the legislation is published and we know exactly what the position will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

rrpc wrote: »
    With all due respect Dr. Teeth, you need to inform yourself better if you intend to remain in the sport. The NASRPC use centre fire pistol in their competitions as do the NTSA in the ISSF mens 25m pistol competition. Lack of suitable ranges has mitigated the amount of competition held by the NTSA, but Midland held one last year. The NASRPC are holding WA1500 matches nearly every month.

It's not the ranges per se, but the type of target and the timing that causes problems.

I am aware of the NASRPC, but that is an organisation for clubs, not individuals, and they don't seem to have a say at the level of the FCP.

I wasn't aware that the NTSA supports centerfire pistol owners though, that is news to me! :) You guys really should try and organise more competitions, there are many 25m ranges in the country from Cork to Limerick to Sligo to Kildare to Dublin where they could be held.

Targets and timing shouldn't be a major obstacle, I'm sure people were shooting this discipline long before the electronic systems became popular. I'd certainly like to have a go at this.

No, anyone applying between the Ministers statement in November and the passing of the Misc.Provisions Bill into law (and it's commencement) is told that when that Bill becomes law, their licence may wind up being revoked or denied renewal (which is the more likely way to deal with it operationally). The point is not to let someone go off and spend a few grand on a pistol that two months later they have to give back and can't sell at a break-even price (haven't you noticed that this is already happening in the For Sale/Wanted forum here?)

I am aware of the NASRPC, but that is an organisation for clubs, not individuals, and they don't seem to have a say at the level of the FCP.
    They do, through the SSAI. And if you're shooting pistol you're in a club already, right? And that club's affiliated to the NASRPC, yes?
    I wasn't aware that the NTSA supports centerfire pistol owners though, that is news to me! :)
    I've generally found that it's a piece of information that gets ignored or outright suppressed whenever the shouting starts.
    You guys really should try and organise more competitions, there are many 25m ranges in the country from Cork to Limerick to Sligo to Kildare to Dublin where they could be held.
    The NTSA doesn't have a team of match organisers to send out everywhere. It's the chicken-and-egg problem; need to run matches to find volunteers, need volunteers to run matches. But email pistol@targetshootingireland.org if you'd like to get a match run at your club and something can be organised if you'll help.

Well Sparks put you right on that one :). The NASRPC is a clubs based organisation, but all members of an affiliated club are members of the NASRPC by default and entitled to take part in competitions.
    I wasn't aware that the NTSA supports centerfire pistol owners though, that is news to me! :) You guys really should try and organise more competitions, there are many 25m ranges in the country from Cork to Limerick to Sligo to Kildare to Dublin where they could be held.

Targets and timing shouldn't be a major obstacle, I'm sure people were shooting this discipline long before the electronic systems became popular. I'd certainly like to have a go at this.
    Electronics make it easier, but you need turning targets at a minimum and the timing is absolutely critical. When you've three seconds to raise and fire, a half second is huge.

We've not really started pushing these competitions because of the investment required by clubs (which could be all down the swanee in a matter of months). If things work out OK, then we would be happy to run more of tehm, but you can appreciate that we are all in the same boat with regards to the Minister's statement.

Edit: Just to add that many of our friends in the North also do this discipline and have been pushing for us to run a few competitions as well. We are a thirty-two county organisation and really should be looking after these guys, and we will as soon as (and if) the situation allows.

'Course in the meantime you could 'get your eye in' so to speak by just using an ISSF target at 25m and shooting at it just to get a feel for the sport.
    Edelmann and Kruger make the targets.
    Pretty simple to do then - buy a few targets, stick them up at 25m, then shoot at them one-handed (don't worry about the timing until you can keep all your shots in the black).

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Sparks this may seem a silly question but is there any ISSF 300m three position full bore rifle competition in this country.

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sikamick wrote: »
    Sparks this may seem a silly question but is there any ISSF 300m three position full bore rifle competition in this country.

Sikamick

Not in the immediate future, but give me some time. ;) I'd like to run some 300m events, since our DF represent us in CISM events and take part, and there are some who have the kit to do it, so I'd like to run one here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

Not in the immediate future, but give me some time. ;) I'd like to run some 300m events, since our DF represent us in CISM events and take part, and there are some who have the kit to do it, so I'd like to run one here.

where would you shoot 300m events,hope you succeed when ever you do get started.

• Advertisement

Midlands is where the DF team trains at the moment, I'd guess that'd be the best venue myself.

Do we all remember, we had similar about the .223 and .308, I think it was A Mr. Bobsomebody. Could this be s**t - stirring so people will attend a certain meeting on Saturday.

Chem no disrespect but I think you are been mislead and misinformed.

Sikamick

Do we all remember, we had similar about the .223 and .308, I think it was A Mr. Bobsomebody. Could this be s**t - stirring so people will attend a certain meeting on Saturday.

Sikamick

No offence taken Mick;) Its like this I make up my own mind on things. I dont take someones advise or opinion and just believe it. I will give everyone a chance to speak and then make my own mind up. I dont fall out with folks just because I dont agree with them (it would be a quite life if everyone I know thinks as me).

Listen I dont know nor care (for now) what this whole them and us thing is about. You met me mick and you were a gentleman and soon Id like to join your vintage rifle club. But just because I posted a date for a meeting it seems Im taking sides.

Im a shooter who is not into the politics of shooting. Where is the freedom to have an opinion on boards gone, when there is a difference of opinion and if its not the right opinion you get singled out:confused:

Politics will kill this sport and it will have notting to do with the government;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

Sikamick

From the master of s**t stirring thats rich.

Personally I do not believe anyone is s**t stirring to get people to attend a meeting, just look at the title of the thread:

Irish Times reports that all pistols are to be banned

And from what the minister has said it is a serious issue, it is not getting any further away, the only saving grace that we have is the economic crisis.

A new assocation without any luggage may be what is needed, we will see.

Chem just watch this space, Politics will kill this sport;)[/QUOTE] and you will see where the politics is. Sorry to burst your bubble Bob, but you could give courses on S**t Stirring.

Good Night Bob/Cousin :p

Sikamick

Lads take it easy;) Best thing to do is orginise a comp between the fighting factions. Let the lead do the talking:D

Oh and the targets would be made out of paper not each other!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

Chem just watch this space, Politics will kill this sport;)
    and you will see where the politics is. Sorry to burst your bubble Bob, but you could give courses on S**t Stirring.

Good Night Bob/Cousin :p

Sikamick[/QUOTE]

Like I said the master at s**t stirring. Am still watching the space!

Lads, that thing on saturday has it's own thread and it's own blog. How much more do we have to give it?

In fact sod it, moving the posts to the relevant thread.

• Advertisement

Personally I do not believe anyone is s**t stirring to get people to attend a meeting
    Personally, I strongly disagree with you, the very meeting itself is an example of agitation.
    A new assocation without any luggage may be what is needed, we will see.
    No luggage? Have you seen who's organising the meeting?

Advertisement