Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband 7mb bundle - line is 4mb

Options
  • 17-03-2009 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Have a 7 mb eircom bundle since november 08. speed is always about 1888 to 1993 download and 320 upload.

I rang eircom today , they ran the usual tests eg resetting router etc BUT in conversation the support guy says the line is only 4 mb at the exchange anyway. I live 2 KM from exchange.

I assume this means I can never have reached 7 mb. therefore should eircom refund my fees for the extra speed i paid for as they know that the line is only 4mb.

any help please

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

unless Eircom have a upto 3MB or upto 4MB product which you can switch down to then if you want 4MB you'll have to stay on the upto 7MB product, you have to remember its "UPTO", the vast majority of people don't get 7MB

If its the case that to give you 4MB you have to stay on 7MB then eircom don't owe you a penny back

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

my max download speed though is only 2mb ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Whats the max with everything disconnected from the line save the modem

I mean everything , even the filters

Can you give us your line stats too , thanks

If the line is genuinely incapable of going over 3mbits then a mis selling is possible, if over 3mbits it may or may not be a mis selling .

at 2km line length from an exchange a proper line should make 7mbits with ADSL1 technology and more with ASDSL2+

Speed 2336/384 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation 39/20 dB
    Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2336 384
    SN Margin (dB) 17.50 16.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 39.50 20.50
    CRC Errors 0 0

All tests are with router plugged directly into eircom box , no filters , telephones etc

That line looks like it is good enough for more than 2.3mbits .

http://www.farina1.com/adsl/

says 4.9mbits .

Once you plug everything back in how are those stats ??

Noise Margin is Good @17db , it only becomes a worry under 10 and a problem under 8 .

Attenuation 39db is OK , not fab but OK .

• Advertisement

No major change in Stats. Does this mean that Eircom are really only providing a 2mb speed not 7mb as per bundle.

well hang on a sec.

were you on a 3mbit line until you were upgraded 'for free' to 7mbits last summer or is this a post august 2008 new DSL connection ?

the stats tell us that no device interferes with the modem but not that your internal wiring is perfect .

This is a new Eircom DSL connection in November. Bundle is 7 mb. prior to that I had eircom high speed isdn and also a wireless broadband from different provider.
    My exchange was dsl enabled in November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Well then You gotta kickup a stink, Your line isn't syncing at even 3mbit and is certainly capable of alot more. What have they been billing You for?

It looks like you were sold a bit of a pup mate :(

It is possible , in fairness to eircom, that a lot of your neighbours took up DSL in recent times and increased cross talk in your area but I believe you should have been sold a 3mbit with an 'amber' 7mbits . In other words they can guarantee 3mbits but not 7mbits or near 7mbits .

Finally , if they upgraded that exchange to ADSL2 as they are doing in some cases, and put you on an ADSL2 card , you could get 10mbits or so with that line . If a Dublin or large town exchange it likely has ADSL2 capability and they could transfer you onto an ADSL2 profile ....thereby fixing everything rather sweetly .

Most exchanges upgraded since last August have ADSL2 capability you will be glad to hear and you have a contract for 7mbits there

contacting the nca.ie at this time on mis selling of adsl is likely to help

• Advertisement

being billed for a 7 mb bundle since instal in november. am going to check with five or six of my neighbours about their speeds

being billed for a 7 mb bundle since instal in november. am going to check with five or six of my neighbours about their speeds

If it is crosstalk you may see a pattern when you check with them .

You may also see different line stats if you can do synchronised switch offs or during the day when some people are not at home .....not different speeds .....different stats mind!!

ok thanks for help. will post an update in about a week.

Advertisement