Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lee Child - Jack Reacher Novels

Options
  • 17-03-2009 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Well just interested to hear what others think of his novels - i find them enjoyable if a bit off the wall at times at the punishment he can take and still keep going ala Jack Bauer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

M007 wrote: »
    if a bit off the wall at times at the punishment he can take and still keep going ala Jack Bauer!

That's my biggest problem - he is all but invincible, and is an expert at pretty much everything. I read "Bad Luck and Trouble", where he suddenly has mathematical abilities that would put rainman to shame, and was once again everyone's idol. Then there was "one shot" where it turns out that he is one of the best ever marksmen in the US Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I do really like the novels simply because they are simple to read and very entertaining...it's like Die-Hard in a book at times :D

Likewise though, I find it a bit tiresome simply because as has been said, he is the best at everything, 6ft+ 250lb, lean, fit, and apparently all women want to sleep with him, even though he walks around in throwaway clothes and sometimes hasn't cut his hair (or seemingly washed) in months :D

It's great cheesy stuff but I was really put out in one of the books (can't remember which one) where Reacher was able to look at a guys hospital chart, decipher a medical acronym relating to a symptom and make a diagnosis on the 'suspect' based on this symptom. That was stretching his knowledge base a little too far imo. So not only is he an excellent investigator, mechanic, marksman, fighter and lover but he's also a doctor, engineer...the list goes on.

Once again, despite my complaint, these are really great books if you are just looking for a bit of escapism :)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

it is a wonder they haven't started making movies of the novels - then again that markey is saturated!

Yeah i love the "Women can't resist him" tag line:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

it is a wonder they haven't started making movies of the novels - then again that markey is saturated!

Yeah i love the "Women can't resist him" tag line:)

Child gave the movie rights away a couple of times but nothing's ever come of them. Rumour mills on a 'film' are crazy along with who might possibly portray him.

Hate that "Women can't resist him" tagline!
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    It's great cheesy stuff but I was really put out in one of the books (can't remember which one) where Reacher was able to look at a guys hospital chart, decipher a medical acronym relating to a symptom and make a diagnosis on the 'suspect' based on this symptom. That was stretching his knowledge base a little too far imo. So not only is he an excellent investigator, mechanic, marksman, fighter and lover but he's also a doctor, engineer...the list goes on.

Once again, despite my complaint, these are really great books if you are just looking for a bit of escapism :)

I love the books but in your list of occupations/skills don't forget he can tell the time without a watch. ;) He can't do everything, he's not the greatest driver and has no license and he can't run very well, although they sorta pale in comparision with his other skills. :o
    eoin wrote: »
    That's my biggest problem - he is all but invincible, and is an expert at pretty much everything. I read "Bad Luck and Trouble", where he suddenly has mathematical abilities that would put rainman to shame, and was once again everyone's idol. Then there was "one shot" where it turns out that he is one of the best ever marksmen in the US Army.

It might have been mentioned earlier in the books but I read on Wiki that he has a fascination with Maths and used it here.

I love the books and have each one, waiting for 'Gone Tomorrow' now.
    Sure the action may be overblown and Reacher can do a hell of a lot of things but they're great fun and entertaining to read, all from an aouthor who was fired early in his career from TV. Is that what we want from books? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

He uses mathematical skills in many of the books. He solves a code in one of them. Most of the books are the same so I don't remember the names but 'One Shot' wasn't bad at all. Feel good reading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

And Tom Cruise is in talks to play Reacher :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

ifElseThen wrote: »
    And Tom Cruise is in talks to play Reacher :(

Link to that please? :( Sounds implausible. Reacher is 6' 4 " and 250 lb or something, Tom Cruise will need bigger platforms for this role :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Oh that's a bad bad choice. Don't like that at all.

I'm looking forward to the next Reacher book (The Affair) out in September. Looks like it's set 6 months before The Killing Floor and will most likely show how he left the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

I haven't been impressed by the recent books. Hopefully "The Affair" will be a return to the old Reacher. Think I might start the Killing Floor again tonight.

For another slightly more believable all american hero, the Earl Swagger books by Stephen Hunter are worth checking out. Unfortunately, the latest books are tripe (Elderly ex sniper Swagger re-invents himself as a Sumurai and takes on the locals in Japan :rolleyes:)
    linky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

fiacha wrote: »
    For another slightly more believable all american hero, the Earl Swagger books by Stephen Hunter are worth checking out. Unfortunately, the latest books are tripe (Elderly ex sniper Swagger re-invents himself as a Sumurai and takes on the locals in Japan :rolleyes:)

Night of Thunder (out earlier this year) is a return to form.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Thunder-Stephen-Hunter/dp/1847399126/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308054731&sr=8-3

Edit: Seems its not so new after all, sorry. I bought it last weekend thinking it was a new one.... Hope I didn't read it 3 years ago! :)
    Its next on my list after I finish The Lion (Nelson De Mille)

Cruise, even though I like him, is fundamentally a terrible choice for Reacher.

Am I the only one not looking forward to The Affair? It doesn't appeal to me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I love the books ,they are complete Right Wing throw away escapisim.But they know this and never take themselves too serious.

My Missus told me yesterday they were doing a movie and asked who I would cast as Jack I had a few suggestions but nothing concrete.She reversed it and asked who I would not cast the 2nd name I mentioned was Tom Cruise.

We need an Actor mid to late 30's ,not good looking per say 6-5 Muscular and fairly emotionless.

Who would you cast ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Might not fit the height description but I think Mark Wahlberg would do a good job.

Perhaps Sam Worthington or Michael Fassbender?

I was thinking Worthington but I'm not entirely sold on his acting ability, then again I haven't seen a whole lot with him in it. He was bland in Terminator I found.

Fassbender's intriguing though...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Tom Cruise as Reacher?

Eh...no. Please no!

mars bar wrote: »
    Tom Cruise as Reacher?

Eh...no. Please no!

Amen to that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Worthington, actually thought he was decent in Terminator.
    What about the Rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

Can't imagine anyone playing Reacher at all!

The books are fun... best for me was Echo Burning.. reads just like a cheesy 80s action movie

I guess the settings and Jack himself are too implausible to be taken seriously, but sometimes I read a story just for that, the story. And I've gotten my money's worth each time.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

I love the books ,they are complete Right Wing throw away escapisim.But they know this and never take themselves too serious.

My Missus told me yesterday they were doing a movie and asked who I would cast as Jack I had a few suggestions but nothing concrete.She reversed it and asked who I would not cast the 2nd name I mentioned was Tom Cruise.

We need an Actor mid to late 30's ,not good looking per say 6-5 Muscular and fairly emotionless.

Who would you cast ?

Liam Neeson

• Advertisement

jassha wrote: »
    Liam Neeson

For when Reacher's dad features in a film?

...Tom Cruise...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I genuinely believe Danny De Vito would be a better casting choice than Tom Cruise

I actually like Tom Cruise, but I'm not fond of this choice.

Child is actually getting criticism from folks on his facebook page over the selection. Apparently he had little to do with the choice of Cruise. There's people making recommendations for Reacher and some of them, in physical stature make more sense than Cruise.

But oh well. Nothing we can change now. Positives that may emerge from a successful film will be that people will go about buying the books and the film might make a few movies. There's some good storylines that would work well on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Any Lee Child fans might get a chuckle from this. It appears in the Sept-Oct issue of Private Eye Magazine.

Sorry about the size.

Atrolleytodiefor-1-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Oh, and Vigo Mortensen would make a decent Reacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

hugh jackman maybe? He's a decent enough actor, 6'2", could get to a reasonable weight. Or if it was 'sacrifice quality and just get someone who looks exactly the part' how about ray stevenson? he's huge, and was good in a leave your brain at the door kind of way in punisher war zone.

meh, i'm pretty sure anyone would be better than tom cruise. who is not gay, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Link to that please? :( Sounds implausible. Reacher is 6' 4 " and 250 lb or something, Tom Cruise will need bigger platforms for this role :D

It's in production according to some film show I saw\heard.
    Yes, it's true. Looks like he may even be working on a second film
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000129/

If Hollywood can rewrite WW2, Robin Hood etc.....

I read one J Reacher novel. Parts of the plot were simply ludicrous. For pulp fiction I'd prefer Elmore Leonard - once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

I see that the trailer is out for the movie - can't believe they went with Tom Cruise to play the lead. All about putting bums on seats I guess.

• Advertisement

I see that the trailer is out for the movie - can't believe they went with Tom Cruise to play the lead. All about putting bums on seats I guess.

Thank God Danny DeVito turned it down first.

Advertisement