Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lee Child - Jack Reacher Novels

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

It's a joke really.

Jack Reacher:
    • 6'5"
    • 220-250 lbs
    • 50" chest
    • Dirty-blond Hair
    Tom Cruise's puny ass:
    • 5"0'
    • Lightweight
    • Pidgeon Chest
    • Dark Hair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Even more amusing when you know the origin of the name "Reacher".
    I heard the following in a R4 interview with the author some time ago.

"He has said that he chose the name Reacher for the central character in his novels because he is himself tall and, in a supermarket [...] his wife Jane told him: "Hey, if this writing thing doesn't pan out, you could always be a reacher in a supermarket."... "I thought, Reacher — good name."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Child

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Trailer is laughable. One scene is where Reacher/Cruise gets out of a car and walks into a crowd and gets a cap off a passerby. Then he blends in perfectly. The book version Reacher would not have been able to blend, he's 6"5 for Jesus' sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Trailer is laughable. One scene is where Reacher/Cruise gets out of a car and walks into a crowd and gets a cap off a passerby. Then he blends in perfectly. The book version Reacher would not have been able to blend, he's 6"5 for Jesus' sake.

Indeed, in fact most of the books feature at least one point where Reacher's sheer size and physical presence make it very difficult for him to either blend in or to hide/crawl into a space. In one of the books he has to fight in a tight space and Child makes much of the fact that this is a hindrance for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Just back from this in the cinema and it was not as bad as I thought it would be ,They got a lot of the tone from the books spot on

• Advertisement

Well at least that's something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I know its a slightly older thread but I just finished Killing Floor.

Its not going to win the Man Booker prize anytime soon but its a but of popcorn...

He IS an amazing fighter, lover, genuis etc etc.

giftgrub wrote: »
    Its not going to win the Man Booker prize anytime soon but its a but of popcorn...

It actually won the Anthony Award and the Barry Award, the former of which is quite prestigious in the mystery/thriller literary world. Not Man Booker but it's received a lot of critical praise over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I just bought my first Reacher book, A Wanted Man.

I'm only starting chapter two but I'm struggling to read on. From what I've read so far, Child seems like a terrible writer! I'm finding it hard to understand why he's so popular. The writing is just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Not his best book. The last few Reacher novels have been disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

This is a literature site.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I just bought my first Reacher book, A Wanted Man.

I'm only starting chapter two but I'm struggling to read on. From what I've read so far, Child seems like a terrible writer! I'm finding it hard to understand why he's so popular. The writing is just awful.

Same, used to love him, but then came to realise the writing really isn't anything to write home about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

buck65 wrote: »
    This is a literature site.

And?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Chikablam wrote: »
    Same, used to love him, but then came to realise the writing really isn't anything to write home about.

It really depends on what you are looking for from a book. When I want an enjoyable 'switch the brain off' book I'll read one of Lee Child's because they are action packed and fast paced. If I want something contemplative, thought-provoking and engaging then I'll read something else.

Advertisement