Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest place in South Dublin to live??

Options
  • 17-03-2009 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi all,
    I'm moving to South Dublin late summer/early autumn. Not too familiar with the place and was wondering where the nicest place to live is? I'm 22, and will be moving on my lonesome so would like to somewhere where its easy to meet people. My budget is 500euro per month for a room.

Thanks,
    Rachel :)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

where are you working/studying? it's a big place, prob want to narrow it down to where you need to get to and from most often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 rache12

I'll be working a few days a week in Dun Laoghaire, not sure about where else as yet! I'm a locum so will be travelling around to where ever i can get work basically. I have a car but don't want to be doing more than 30 mins of a commute.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Well then personally I'd go for somewhere along the dart line, if you think you will be visiting the city centre a fair bit for nights out then go closer to town somewhere like monkstown, blackrock or seapoint maybe. Nice areas, loads of nice places to eat etc and on the dart line which might save you car trips.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Hey rache12

I'm from The Area Myself.

if your working in D L, You really have loads of options, Monkstown, blackrock,sallynoggin,glenagery. Most of South dublin is accessable to/from Dun Laoighaire.

if you have any questions about the area, please feel free to pm me, or post up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 rache12

Brilliant, thanks for all the info

Agent Smith...I may PM you nearer my moving time for some advice. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

rache12 wrote: »
    Brilliant, thanks for all the info

Agent Smith...I may PM you nearer my moving time for some advice. Thanks!

If you are looking at Dun Laoghaire then you need to pick your spot, but generally speaking it is a safe area.

I live in Sandycove, out towrds Dalkey and it is a really nice place to live. You should be able to pick up something quite easily for that money within a five to ten minute walk of the Dart stations at Glenageary, Sandycove or Dalkey.

Feel free to PM me as well if you want any local info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

If you are looking at Dun Laoghaire then you need to pick your spot, but generally speaking it is a safe area.

I live in Sandycove, out towrds Dalkey and it is a really nice place to live. You should be able to pick up something quite easily for that money within a five to ten minute walk of the Dart stations at Glenageary, Sandycove or Dalkey.

Feel free to PM me as well if you want any local info.

Second what Fred said - I live in Sandycove too and it's lovely, you can walk to Dalkey village in less than ten mins, walk to dun laoghaire in twenty mins and the dart takes just over 20 mins to get into town.

Edit: Plus it's on the 46a nitelink route for fridays and saturday nights. Can be handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lloyderz

Dalkey and Killiney are very nice places to live. Dalkey village in particluar. It has some great pubs and is right along the dart line too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Searlait

Personally, I love living in Dun Laoghaire!! Lived here with family, and also moved out with my boyfriend to a lovely apartment in Dun Laoghaire. Love the place!!! My favourite thing was waking up on the weekend and taking a stroll down the seafront for a bagel in Itsabagel!! Lots to keep you happy within walking distance, great transport, lovely sea front, cinema, two tescos, little cafes and then the Pavillion on the Seafront is great, lots of restaurants, Crunch Fitness gym... Rent isn't too much higher here, lots of accomodation to choose from too!!

Searlait wrote: »
    Personally, I love living in Dun Laoghaire!! Lived here with family, and also moved out with my boyfriend to a lovely apartment in Dun Laoghaire. Love the place!!! My favourite thing was waking up on the weekend and taking a stroll down the seafront for a bagel in Itsabagel!! Lots to keep you happy within walking distance, great transport, lovely sea front, cinema, two tescos, little cafes and then the Pavillion on the Seafront is great, lots of restaurants, Crunch Fitness gym... Rent isn't too much higher here, lots of accomodation to choose from too!!

You forgot to mention the best icecream in Ireland as well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

stillorgan is a lovely area to live in i think, i've lived between there and sandyford most of my life, and its got everything u need, swimming pool, cinema, bowling alley, shopping centre, pubs, few localish nightclubs, Deer Park which is a stones throw away is great for walks and has beautiful view of the city too. Great bus route very accessible to city centre & M50 if you need it and to Blackrock, Dún Laoghaire, Bray and all the other lovely places on the SS. I know i sound biasist but i wouldn't live anywhere else in the world ;)

happy house hunting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Oriental Doll

I'm looking for a apartment around DL area and am very interested in Pavillion development. Has anyone lived there or is currently living here? Any opinion of living in that development. It seems that there are a few apartments on the ground floor level are available at the moment. Any issues with ground floor apartment over there?

Any opinions, suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

last I looked they were all hugely overpriced for what you get.
    Aside from that I know nothing

I'm looking for a apartment around DL area and am very interested in Pavillion development. Has anyone lived there or is currently living here? Any opinion of living in that development. It seems that there are a few apartments on the ground floor level are available at the moment. Any issues with ground floor apartment over there?

Any opinions, suggestions would be much appreciated.

There is a new development going up at the bottom of Castlepark Road, although it will probably cost a fortune.

I think that would be a nicer place to live, but not as handy for the Dart though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I would say Stillorgan, Blackrock and along the sea front in Dun Laoighaire. Nice areas with very easy access into the city.

Advertisement