Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old do you have to be to get a laser card?

Options
  • 17-03-2009 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Because I'm a teacher and the other day one of my second year students - who is 14 - showed me the Laser card he had just received. He said his mum took him to AIB to open an account and this was the card he received - it had his name on it and everything. I asked him if he had used it in a shop and he said he had and it worked.

I would have thought you'd have to be 18 to get a laser card?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 coffee_chucker

AIB Banklink Card option
    With an AIB Banklink Card you can withdraw money at up to 300,000 ATMs worldwide displaying the LINK and Visa PLUS symbols. Parental/ Guardian consent is required to order an AIB Banklink Card if the you are under 16 years of age.
    AIB Debit Card option
    The AIB Debit Card is a combined payment card, which operates with Chip & PIN technology. You can access your bank account to make purchases at Point of Sale and cash withdrawals at ATMs and Internet transactions.
    All Student Account holders over the age of 16 years can apply for an AIB Debit Card without Parental consent. However, Parental/ Guardian consent is required for an AIB Debit Card if you are under 16 years of age.

http://www.aib.ie/personal/current-accounts/Student-Account-2nd-Level

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Nope just have to be 18 to get credit card but can get one on the parents account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

sitstill wrote: »
    Because I'm a teacher and the other day one of my second year students - who is 14 - showed me the Laser card he had just received. He said his mum took him to AIB to open an account and this was the card he received - it had his name on it and everything. I asked him if he had used it in a shop and he said he had and it worked.

I would have thought you'd have to be 18 to get a laser card?

I don't see why they would have to be 18.

It's just a payment tool. The kid, obviously, won't have an overdraft associated with it and will only be able to spend money he/she already has in their account. There's very little difference between a Debit Card and an ATM card (except a debit card is a lot handier!)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

dotsman wrote: »
    I don't see why they would have to be 18.

It's just a payment tool. The kid, obviously, won't have an overdraft associated with it and will only be able to spend money he/she already has in their account. There's very little difference between a Debit Card and an ATM card (except a debit card is a lot handier!)

Exactly! I work in finance and the amount of people who were complaining when AIB issued laser cards to replace the old ATM cards was amazing!! They think of them as credit cards and if they just took a minute to think about it they'd see theres really no difference!! Saves you withdrawing cash!! You don't have overdraft facility unless you request it and are granted it (just as one did with ATM cards)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Scribble1

Bank of Ireland and AIB appear to have recently issued pre-manufactured Laser cards to respective customers who have the standard ATM card. They didn't do it out of WOVE!

WATCH OUT - THE Laser/ATM card incurrs:

1. Additional bank fees for using the Laser facility,
    2. Bank fees every time you use the Cash-back facility and the garage,
    shop etc gets a commission too if you take cash back from them -
    hence the happy "Would you like CASH-BACK SIR/MADAM?" and that
    commission is comin' out of YER POCKET!
    3. DOUBLE Government Stamp Duty -cos you're payin' for two services on
    yer card - ATM AND LASER - Betcha yer weren't aware of THAT! (Got
    this from the Financial Regulator!).
    4. A manufacturing fee (eg bank card issuance fee).

ALWAYS READ YOUR MONTHLY BANK STATEMENT. AND CHECK THOSE FEES WHEN CHARGED QUARTERLY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Scribble1 wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland and AIB appear to have recently issued pre-manufactured Laser cards to respective customers who have the standard ATM card. They didn't do it out of WOVE!

WATCH OUT - THE Laser/ATM card incurrs:

1. Additional bank fees for using the Laser facility,
    2. Bank fees every time you use the Cash-back facility and the garage,
    shop etc gets a commission too if you take cash back from them -
    hence the happy "Would you like CASH-BACK SIR/MADAM?" and that
    commission is comin' out of YER POCKET!
    3. DOUBLE Government Stamp Duty -cos you're payin' for two services on
    yer card - ATM AND LASER - Betcha yer weren't aware of THAT! (Got
    this from the Financial Regulator!).
    4. A manufacturing fee (eg bank card issuance fee).

ALWAYS READ YOUR MONTHLY BANK STATEMENT. AND CHECK THOSE FEES WHEN CHARGED QUARTERLY.

Complete and utter Bull$hit.
    1. Both banks offer free banking (I'll give you a hint - you use the maestro/laser card to avail of it - that's right! the customer benefits financially from it!)
    2. No bank charges you fees for using cashback. No retailer gets a commission for offering you cashback
    3. You only pay stamp duty on the debit card aspect if you use it. If you continue to just use it solely as an ATM card, then there is no difference to the Stamp Duty (P.S. the stamp duty on the Debit card is just €2.50 per annum - payable in April).
    4. Customers are not charged a cent for the issuance of these cards.

Every single thing you said was a total lie. Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Bank of Ireland and AIB appear to have recently issued pre-manufactured Laser cards ...

...ALWAYS READ YOUR MONTHLY BANK STATEMENT. AND CHECK THOSE FEES WHEN CHARGED QUARTERLY.

Scribble1: If you're going to keep posting here, please make sure you only post factual information in future.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

dotsman wrote: »
    Complete and utter Bull$hit.
    1. Both banks offer free banking (I'll give you a hint - you use the maestro/laser card to avail of it - that's right! the customer benefits financially from it!)
    2. No bank charges you fees for using cashback. No retailer gets a commission for offering you cashback
    3. You only pay stamp duty on the debit card aspect if you use it. If you continue to just use it solely as an ATM card, then there is no difference to the Stamp Duty (P.S. the stamp duty on the Debit card is just €2.50 per annum - payable in April).
    4. Customers are not charged a cent for the issuance of these cards.
    Every single thing you said was a total lie. Congratulations.

Only fee I would ever have to pay is if I have an overdraft (an unauthorised one that is. I have an AIB account and theres no difference since I received laser card about 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

AIB seems to be giving laser cards to everyone, indeed I think you can't even get a non-laser "banklink" card from them anymore

however across the street, so to speak, BOI are still treating laser like a privilege

Please don't be so quick to pass judgement - not everyone has access to the same banking arrangements (and advantages) that you may have.

Just to recap.

1. I made a statement about Bank of Ireland and AIB having recently
    issued pre-manufactured Laser/ATM cards to standard ATM card
    users. I mentioned this because for a financial institution to issue a customer a ready-to-use product one does not request is of some concern.

2. I then made a GENERAL statement for readers to watch out regarding
    potential Laser/ATM fees:
    a) Additional bank fees for using the Laser facility: they exist for many customers WHO DO NOT AVAIL OF THE CRITERIA REQUIRED BY CERTAIN BANKS TO ACCESS FREE CURRENT ACCOUNTS AND THEIR SERVICES. If an AIB customer does not carry out debit purchases via phone lines et al (see their website for further details)) they don't get a free account or Bank of Ireland -which requires specific criteria for debit transactions by phone or the customer to keep a balance of €500 in their current account at all times in a quarterly period. Many customers don't operate a debit service by phone etc and many don't have €500 to leave lying around all the time in their bank.

b) bank fees everytime you use the Cash-back facility. Well, in order to get cash-back, one has to first use their Laser card to buy something right? and if the Laser is not available as a free service on your particular account - you are charged for this transaction.

In addition, some vendors enforce a minimum purchase amount (eg €10.00 +) or add a fixed fee when providing cash-back amounts to a customer eg "Commission". On several occasions I have witnessed a customer being told "I can only give you a minimum of €50.00 cashback" by a retailer.

By off-loading the cash on the customer, the retailer also avoids having to pay a commercial lodgement fee to deposit the cash into their financial institution.

c) Double the Government Stamp Duty. Both Bank of Ireland and the Financial Regulator state that there is a €5.00 stamp duty for a Laser/ATM card. A standard ATM card attracts a fee of €2.50. If you are receiving a Laser/ATM card with the annual fee of €2.50 - great and tell us...but Banks cannot afford to be watching each transaction and wait to see when you activate the Laser part of this card...when the card is issued - the stamp duty applies to both services being available on the card, whether one is used or not.

Vector, your point was true. Interestingly, in January, Bank of Ireland posted pre-manufactured Laser/ATM cards to all their existing customers - and they stated in their letter that unless the Laser/ATM card was activated - the customers' old ATM card (even if active) would be cancelled by a certain date - forcing many customers to assume they had to use the Laser/ATM card. Nowhere in the letter did it state that the customer could have the option of keeping their old ATM card. I have checked both financial institutions and the standard ATM card is available and not being phased out...so if a customer wants to pay in cash...they don't have to take the Laser/ATM card.

"Nothing in this world is free"

• Advertisement

Oh and dotsman, I forgot to add, I had to order a new ATM card on my current account last week and the customer service agent advised me in a verly polite manner the charge of same would be just over €5.00 for the new card. Bank of Ireland actually.

Have a nice day.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I mentioned this because for a financial institution to issue a customer a ready-to-use product one does not request is of some concern
    Oh and dotsman, I forgot to add, I had to order a new ATM card on my current account last week and the customer service agent advised me in a verly polite manner the charge of same would be just over €5.00 for the new card. Bank of Ireland actually.
    That charge does not apply on the automatically issued Laser cards. Also, these Laser cards are only being issued in replacement of 'Cirrus' cards. You used to be able to have either an ATM card, Cirrus card, or Laser card (which encompassed all three facilities). BOI are getting rid of the Cirrus card, so you either get ATM or Laser. Anyone who had the Cirrus card was automatically issued a Laser card so that they would still have the facility to withdraw cash abroad. The same goes for when your Laser card expires and you receive a new one in the post, this is free. The €5.90 charge applies if you lose/break/damage your card and need a new one.
    Vector, your point was true. Interestingly, in January, Bank of Ireland posted pre-manufactured Laser/ATM cards to all their existing customers - and they stated in their letter that unless the Laser/ATM card was activated - the customers' old ATM card (even if active) would be cancelled by a certain date - forcing many customers to assume they had to use the Laser/ATM card. Nowhere in the letter did it state that the customer could have the option of keeping their old ATM card. I have checked both financial institutions and the standard ATM card is available and not being phased out...so if a customer wants to pay in cash...they don't have to take the Laser/ATM card.
    I explained this above, it's not plain ATM cards that were being replaced, it was Cirrus cards. Also if you check the reverse of the letter, it details the stamp duty charge and outlines that the card can still be used solely as an ATM card. Another reason why these cards were only to replace the Cirrus cards is because customers can often go into unauthorised overdraft using Laser or Cirrus cards, hence BOI will assess accounts to see if there is a regular turnover before issuing them. This is of benefit to the customer, as going OD without permission can incur charges.
    In addition, some vendors enforce a minimum purchase amount (eg €10.00 +) or add a fixed fee when providing cash-back amounts to a customer eg "Commission". On several occasions I have witnessed a customer being told "I can only give you a minimum of €50.00 cashback" by a retailer.
    Shops don't charge commission on cashback. The reason that shops have a 'minimum spend' before issuing cashback is to stop people taking the piss ie: coming in to buy a pack of chewing gum and getting €50 cashback just because the ATM outside is out of order.
    but Banks cannot afford to be watching each transaction and wait to see when you activate the Laser part of this card...when the card is issued - the stamp duty applies to both services being available on the card, whether one is used or not.
    It's not a case of some poor sod in an office trawling through accounts to see has someone used their card as Laser, there is software that detects when each card is used in a POS (point of sale) transaction, once that happens, the customer is liable for the additional €2.50 stamp duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 coffee_chucker

a) Additional bank fees for using the Laser facility: they exist for many customers WHO DO NOT AVAIL OF THE CRITERIA REQUIRED BY CERTAIN BANKS TO ACCESS FREE CURRENT ACCOUNTS AND THEIR SERVICES. If an AIB customer does not carry out debit purchases via phone lines et al (see their website for further details)) they don't get a free account or Bank of Ireland -which requires specific criteria for debit transactions by phone or the customer to keep a balance of €500 in their current account at all times in a quarterly period. Many customers don't operate a debit service by phone etc and many don't have €500 to leave lying around all the time in their bank.

b) bank fees everytime you use the Cash-back facility. Well, in order to get cash-back, one has to first use their Laser card to buy something right? and if the Laser is not available as a free service on your particular account - you are charged for this transaction.

From the Bank of Ireland website...
    Standard Personal Current Account
    Current Account Transaction Fees
    We offer two fee options on our Personal Current
    Account:
    Option 1 - 28c for each transaction1
    Pay As You Go
    Option 2 - €11.40 per quarter for
    Flat Fee up to 90 transactions.
    Transactions in excess
    of 90 cost 28c each1

If you have more than 40 transactions per quarter, the
    quarterly fee of €11.40 is the better option for you. You
    can, however, switch between the two options at any
    stage by contacting your branch. The change will take
    effect from the beginning of the next fee-charging quarter.
    Services available FREE of charge with the

Standard Current Account
    • Standing Order / Direct Debit set-up
    • Standing Order Amendment / Commission
    • Stop Payment Instruction
    • Replacement of card PIN
    • Account Balance / Interest Certificate
    • Cheque sent for collection
    • Credit transfers outwards
    • Account administration
    • Auditors Queries
    • Cheque clearance of non Bank of Ireland cheque
    • Regular Statements

Free Transactions Offer
    As a Bank of Ireland Personal Current Account
    customer on Option 1 or 2 above, you could
    automatically qualify for free account transactions in a
    fee quarter and get:
    • FREE Withdrawals at ATMs or in branches
    • FREE Laser transactions and cashback
    • FREE Direct Debits / Standing Orders
    • FREE Debit / Credit Transactions on your account
    using 365 Online or Phone
    • FREE Cheques / Lodgements

To automatically qualify for free transactions in a fee
    quarter, you must:
    • Keep a minimum credit balance of €500 in your
    current account for the full fee quarter 3
    OR
    • Make at least 3 debit payments from your current
    account using Bank of Ireland 365 online and / or
    phone in that quarter

Scribble1, in future if you plan on telling everyone about bank charges you could at least back up your argument with facts instead of telling them to check the website.

Information on Bank of Ireland (because I'm a BOI customer) fees can be found at the following links:

http://www.365online.com/about/fees.html

http://www.bankofireland.ie/includes/personal/pdfs/fees_charges.pdf

Also, BOI states laser has some benefits for those who pay transactions fees
    Use your LASER card and take cash back with the
    same transaction, paying for only one transaction
    rather than two.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I switched my accound from BOI to AIB because BOI wouldn't give me a laser card. First of all it was because I was under 18, then it was because I had no regular income, whereas AIB issued one no questions asked. It's a very easy way for BOI to lose teenagers and students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

>It's a very easy way for BOI to lose teenagers and students
    agreed

>Use your LASER card and take cash back with the
    >same transaction, paying for only one transaction
    >rather than two

doamm laser is a win-win card
    the customer loves it beucase it allows him to get CASH without paying an ATM fee

the merchant loves it because it allows him to get rid of cash (and thus not have to lodge it into his commercial bank account and pay a percentage lodgement fee)

however, it seems to me that those two points mean that the bank should hate laser! plus as laser makes it easier to withdraw money, the chances of a person leaving money in their account for long period are reduced, however the bank does enjoy a, say EUR approx 0.25 transaction fee from the merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cdgowran

I am 14 and have an aib student a/c. I was just wonderin if any of ye know if i can get a laser card wit it

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Not as far as I know.
    You need to be oer 18 or have a third level student account.
    I don't really see why a 14 year old would need one though?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Taken from the AIB website:
    All Student Account holders over the age of 16 years can apply for an AIB Debit Card without Parental consent. However, Parental/ Guardian consent is required for an AIB Debit Card if you are under 16 years of age.

It seems that you can certainly apply, provided you have parental consent, but whether or not they'll approve a Laser for a 14 year old I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Threads merged :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement