Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal V Hull - FA Cup March 17th 2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

My god, I agree the last goal was offside for us and that's football no matter how sick it feels; but the accusation about Fabregas is completely uncalled for. Funny how they're only filing the complaint now even though it happened ages ago, I'm sure if they won the game it would have never been like this.

Also I'm very sure Fabregas didn't spit at the assistant manager; he probably accidently spat at him while talking or clearing his mouth after the game and now Hull are making a thing of it.

As for Wengers interview after the game, all I can say as a fan is what a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Beau x1 wrote: »
    . Funny how they're only filing the complaint now even though it happened ages ago, I'm sure if they won the game it would have never been like this.

? It only happened about 45 minutes ago. Thats a bit short for the statute of limitations to kick in.

Also I'm very sure Fabregas didn't spit at the assistant manager; he probably accidently spat at him while talking or clearing his mouth after the game and now Hull are making a thing of it..

Sitting down for 90 minutes got him all bunged up did it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Was in work so didn't see the game.
    Can't wait to see the headlines tomorrow as the rags try and make as many headlines using the word 'spit' as they can.

I for one can't see Fabregas spitting at the Hull assistant manager (or anyone) but I'm sure we'll have the truth in the next few days when the FA look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Also I'm very sure Fabregas didn't spit at the assistant manager; he probably accidently spat at him while talking or clearing his mouth after the game and now Hull are making a thing of it.

oh dear lord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Frisbee wrote: »
    I for one can't see Fabregas spitting at the Hull assistant manager (or anyone) but I'm sure we'll have the truth in the next few days when the FA look at it.

It'll be dried up and cruddy by then.

Tomorrows Sun headline suggestion:

"Horton hears a flob"

My apologies, I thought they were talking about a previous game when Fabregas was playing.

Still though, I stand by my opinion that it's very out of his character to do something like that.

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/Football/2009/03/17/Prem-Phil-Brown-reaction/gnid-44803/
    Phil Brown wrote:
    “The game was turned on its head when the referee succumbed to local pressure, shall we call it. Arsene Wenger got my goalkeeper booked for time wasting. It’s an absolute disgrace to tell you the truth."

(I haven't seen the game so I didn't see the booking, but I can only assume Myhill was taking his time over a lot of his goal kicks to try and wind the clock down?)

Arsene Wenger got your goalie a yellow card for doing something that deserves a yellow card?
    The referee succumbed to local pressure by following the rules?
    Van der Sar was booked on Saturday for wasting time before the peno and we don't hear Fergie moaning about it.

It's funny how we've only started hearing whinging out of Brown when Hull started slipping down the league...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's funny how we've only started hearing whinging out of Brown when Hull started slipping down the league...

QFT.

...and when Arsenal players started spitting (allegedly) at his staff.

Arsenal have been consistently in the top 4 for the last decade. Whats Wengers excuse for being stroppy and rude?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

You a Spud fan?

Do I like potatoes you ask? They are quite tasty yes :rolleyes:

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/Football/2009/03/17/Prem-Phil-Brown-reaction/gnid-44803/

(I haven't seen the game so I didn't see the booking, but I can only assume Myhill was taking his time over a lot of his goal kicks to try and wind the clock down?)

Arsene Wenger got your goalie a yellow card for doing something that deserves a yellow card?
    The referee succumbed to local pressure by following the rules?
    Van der Sar was booked on Saturday for wasting time before the peno and we don't hear Fergie moaning about it.

To be fair the ref was useless.....really really useless......and I didn't notice any over the top time wasting by Hull......but for Brown to complain about the fans reaction influencing the game is just sh1te.....the fans can do as they please (except Spurs fans in games involving Sol Campbell).....and it is not something Phil Brown should hold up as an excuse for his teams loss......how would they get on at Galatasary if that is his feeling on the subject?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I reckon Gallas's goal wasn't offside because the ball came off Myhill last. I don't think hull were robbed either. The one just after where Arshavin was called offside wasn't as it was a huge deflection off the Hull defender and Bendtner had an open goal to tap in to (i'm presuming he can do that much).

Morf wrote: »
    I reckon Gallas's goal wasn't offside because the ball came off Myhill last.

I was just about to say this.
    Just watched the goals and if you look at the last replay on this video the ball clearly comes off Myhill's fist.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2230012/

Just watched the goals and if you look at the last replay on this video the ball clearly comes off Myhill's fist.

Offside is so complicated these days that i'm not even certain that negates Gallas being offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well if Fabregas did do that he should be banned for the rest of the season at the very least.

• Advertisement

That's completley irrelevent. The ball was flicked onto his fist by the defender, that's just a deflection. How is that any different to a shot being parried by he keeper out to a striker in an offside position?

Offside is so complicated these days that i'm not even certain that negates Gallas being offside.
    Gallas was offside, the ball was hit by an Arsenal player and Gallas was offside at that point, the fact that it hit the keeper is irrelevant as Gallas was offside the moment his own player touched it.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well if Fabregas did do that he should be banned for the rest of the season at the very least.

Diouf was only banned for two games.
    Why should Fabregas get banned for the rest of the season?

EDIT: However if it comes to light the Fab did spit at him he deserves to miss the rest of the season imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Bendtner had an open goal to tap in to (i'm presuming he can do that much).

I wouldn't put money on it. The bloke's a donkey

And stuck in jail to rot. Damn kids! No respect!

• Advertisement

There we go. Go back to bed, Phil.

The ball is headed by Arsenal no. 26, at this point Gallas is offside so the fact that it hit the goalkeepers fist is irrelevant as he is already offside.

Don't talk sh1te.

Just heard Phil Brown on SSN and he doesn't seem so certain....."spat at his feet".....nothing to make it any clearer......

....sour grapes is all this is.

....sour grapes is all this is.

+1, really can't see it being true

There we go. Go back to bed, Phil.

LOL :rolleyes:

I believe we are past that.

We're not discussing which form of capital punishment is suitable for Cesc if he did indeed spit on Hull's assistant manager.

There is nothing to this Fabregas spitting story. It's just Brown being bitter.

Have to say I loved Billy G's Henry-esque celebration. Reminded me of this....

henryspurs.JPG

The ball is headed by Arsenal no. 20, at this point Gallas is offside so the fact that it hit the goalkeepers fist is irrelevant as he is already offside.

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hull were taking the piss with the timewasting from the moment they scored. Myhill's card was probably for persistant time-wasting.

Arshavin was looking pretty good. And he probably could have done a lot more with the ball had Song / Diaby stopped hoofing up to poo ickle Vela the whole time.

Can't wait to see Arshavin and Fabregas on the same wavelength

Walcott really needs to get a move-on with developing his final-ball. Don't think he's gonna make it into a top-class player otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

In all fairness, it's not totally out of character for Fabregas. He's been fairly desrespectful to people in the past.

Phil Brown was bang on the money, shocking reffing for that decision. Hull can justifably feel hard done by by that result.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    In all fairness, it's not totally out of character for Fabregas. He's been fairly desrespectful to people in the past.

There's a difference between having a dig at the boring football Blackburn play and spitting on someone.

Vokes wrote: »
    Hull were taking the piss with the timewasting from the moment they scored. Myhill's card was probably for persistant time-wasting.

Arshavin was looking pretty good. And he probably could have done a lot more with the ball had Song / Diaby stopped hoofing up to poo ickle Vela the whole time.

Can't wait to see Arshavin and Fabregas on the same wavelength

Walcott really needs to get a move-on with developing his final-ball. Don't think he's gonna make it into a top-class player otherwise.
    They cerainly were timewasting, have to agree with that. Also agree on Walcott.
    Arshavin looks like a steal at the price going by his last two games. He really looks like a difference maker, a guy who can change a game at any time. Really classy player.

I'm putting €50 on us winning the FA CUP. Arshavin, along with Fab back, I think we have pretty good chances.

Fab issued a statement competetly denying the allegation.

Not surprised

Phil Brown has let himself and his team down.

Fab issued a statement competetly denying the allegation.

Not surprised

Phil Brown has let himself and his team down.
    I'm not surprised, that's so low to make up or even exaggerrate something of that nature. At last this can be put to bed now and you haters can go find something else wrong with the team.

I'm not surprised, that's so low to make up or even exaggerrate something of that nature. At last this can be put to bed now and you haters can go find something else wrong with the team.

Hang on. How can you tell Brown is automatically lieing but Fabregas is definately telling the truth?

Stekelly wrote: »
    Hang on. How can you tell Brown is automatically lieing but Fabregas is definately telling the truth?

Agreed.
    We'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what the FA say.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/comment-from-club-captain-cesc-fabregas
    Cesc wrote:
    “I categorically deny that I spat at anybody after the match. I have never done this in my whole career on the pitch, so why would I do it when I am not even playing?

“I can understand the frustration of losing a game to a dubious goal, that has happened to me many times in my career as well. But this is not the fault of me or any of the Arsenal players.”

I really don't believe he'd do it. If it was Gallas, Eboue, RVP I'd be worried it might have happened, but don't think Cesc would do it.

Because it was very obvious Brown was nothing short of sour from his post match analysis and also, why would any player who wasn't even in the game do something like that to interfere with their career? You'd be shooting yourself in the foot. It's such a bizarre thing to do with so many minutes left in the game - I'm sorry but even if I wasn't an Arsenal supporter I'd still be siding with Fab here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The look on Wenger's face when they told him they were going to show him a replay of Gallas' goal was priceless.

Between Wenger's non handshake and Brown's obvious bitterness (at Arsenal FC in general and not the linesman), it's obvious something has gone on between Wenger and Brown in the past that we're not aware of.

Because it was very obvious Brown was nothing short of sour from his post match analysis and also, why would any player who wasn't even in the game do something like that to interfere with their career? You'd be shooting yourself in the foot. It's such a bizarre thing to do with so many minutes left in the game - I'm sorry but even if I wasn't an Arsenal supporter I'd still be siding with Fab here.

Using your same logic, why would he make up an accusation this serious about someone who wasnt playing in the game? Would that not be shooting himself in the foot?

It's very easy to twist something that could be suspectable to something that actually happened and mark it off as a misunderstanding - especially when you're in a foul mood. Fabregas has been dieing to get back out there, he's not going to disrupt that with such an action. As for Brown, all he has is to prove a bitter point.

@Royale: Yeah, I agree - his face was hilarious. Looked a bit worried, and then he had to ask what the next question was again because he must have been thinking of what he was going to say in regards to the goal ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

A lot of bad blood there tonight , thought it was childish of wenger not to shake hands , gallas goal was fortunate to be given but these things happen in football. Strong accusations from brown interesting to see fabregas reply probably will be something like I was spitting on the ground and he walked in my path

Because it's Fab....his name is Fab......he is Fab.....

If it was Gerard in a nightclub with a bottle I'd be dubious........but not with Fab.....the man is a gent.

Strong accusations from brown interesting to see fabregas reply probably will be something like I was spitting on the ground and he walked in my path

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/comment-from-club-captain-cesc-fabregas
    Cesc wrote:
    “I categorically deny that I spat at anybody after the match. I have never done this in my whole career on the pitch, so why would I do it when I am not even playing?

“I can understand the frustration of losing a game to a dubious goal, that has happened to me many times in my career as well. But this is not the fault of me or any of the Arsenal players.”

That's what we've got so far but I expect a fuller statement tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Couldn't imagine fabregas doing this and I hope he didn't . Not a lover of phil brown comes across too assured for my liking and that time he kept the players on the pitch at half time was ridiculos attention seeking if ever I saw it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Jesus the big angry head on your man on the bbc sport website
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/fa_cup/7949649.stm

Brown wrote:
    Hopefully he's proud of himself. He spat at his feet.
    Sounds so blown of out proportion to me, probably spat on the ground as any other player would do after a match and now Hull have seen this as an opportunity to cause trouble for us. Brian Horton looks infuriated, but I believe it's for the wrong reasons :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Absolutley disgusting thing to do from Fabergas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm sorry but even if I wasn't an Arsenal supporter I'd still be siding with Fab here.

lol, this is an awesome sentence. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement