Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal V Hull - FA Cup March 17th 2009

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

'Spitting at his feet' basically means that he spat at the ground near him - and I wouldn't be very surprised if he did - but in fariness, big deal!!

Ref should have booked Hull for time wasting in the first half. Player comes to take throw, spends about 20 seconds deciding not to take it. Player 2 comes to take it, spends about 20 seconds deciding not to take it so a third player comes up to take it.

That happens after about 30 minutes so either you figure Hull are time wasting or they actually haven't worked out in training who takes the throws yet.

To be honest this is all being blown out of proportion by Setanta whose coverage tops even Sky's in looking for pointless scandal. Wenger called it right when he said afterwards 'I thought we were here to talk about football'.

Basically, Hull went ahead through a lucky goal, pi*sed off Arsenal by time wasting who then pi*sed off Hull by winning the game. Additionally Brown was pi*sed off by the winning goal being offside. At the end you've a load of pi*sed off people. Big deal - move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Frisbee wrote: »
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/comment-from-club-captain-cesc-fabregas
    Fabregas wrote:
    I categorically deny that I spat at anybody after the match. I have never done this in my whole career on the pitch

What's he at here then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ah yes but one suspects if aforementioned youtube link was indeed true, the colour of card would have been a different shade than yellow reckless ;)

cson wrote: »
    Ah yes but one suspects if aforementioned youtube link was indeed true, the colour of card would have been a different shade than yellow reckless ;)

I believe the yellow is for the foul, not the altercation. As he lowers his head the ref is running towards the action, with an Arsenal player crossing his line of sight.

Not entirely unreasonable to suggest the ref may not have seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

gosplan wrote: »
    Basically, Hull went ahead through a lucky goal, pi*sed off Arsenal by time wasting who then pi*sed off Hull by winning the game. Additionally Brown was pi*sed off by the winning goal being offside. At the end you've a load of pi*sed off people. Big deal - move on.

lol... well said

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

There is obviously some bad feeling between Brown and Wenger that goes back further than last nights game.
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/comment-from-club-captain-cesc-fabregas
    As for Fabregas, He's just a classless little s***! He spat at Ballack in the CL,
    he is the Arsenal player that threw Pizza at Alex Ferguson in the "Pizzagate"
    incident. He had an altercation with Mark Hughes and his favourite trick, which beats all of the above imo, is to shake the hands of beaten opposition players and while smiling for the cameras, calls the players "losers" to wind them up. Classy player Arsenal have there.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

grahamo wrote: »
    There is obviously some bad feeling between Brown and Wenger that goes back further than last nights game.
    As for Fabregas, He's just a classless little s***! He spat at Ballack in the CL,
    incident. He had an altercation with Mark Hughes and his favourite trick, which beats all of the above imo, is to shake the hands of beaten opposition players and while smiling for the cameras, calls the players "losers" to wind them up. Classy player Arsenal have there.:(

Can't say that I have noticed his 'favourite trick' to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

He probably did just spit at the ground near the lads feet, so yeah, its been blown out of proportion. But why the need to spit to the first place? Must have been tough 90 minute game he playe...oh, sorry, just saw the teamsheet.

Doing anything like that is bound to cause trouble, so quite stupid by both parties(moreso by Fabregas if it turns out to be true).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

"Quote, we beat them here allready and rightly so", we beat them today, but were cheated out of a goal..." we were hockeyed by them in Hull 3-1 ...oh left that out sorry..

This guy should have being sacked the day he gave his team talk out int he field and the way the performed since then. ARsenal were poor enough last night. Djourou must have being on the beer. I have never seen such an attention seeker in my life. There are CCTV cameras in the tunnels at the emirates, it will come out one way or the other.

"He never shook my hand, when we beat them here at home" --- >>>

http://images.rivals.net/08/09/460x238/Arsene-Wenger-and-Phil-Brown_1237515.jpg

lies lies and more lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

As long as he has the class on the pitch I could care less what type of person he is off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol, this is an awesome sentence. :rolleyes:

+1

I was actually going to bring this up today, thought of it in work. It certainly looks bad for him but there wasnt anything done about it.
    Surely if he did spit Ballack would have been much more vocal?

A classless little s*** because he was accused of two incidents that were never proven and had an altercation with Mark Hughes? Who hasnt had an altercation with Mark Hughes?:)
    to be honest that thing with Hughes was blown massively out of proportion. Parking the bus is not Barcelona football, Fabregas was right in what he said, but wrong to say it.
    Can't say that I have noticed his 'favourite trick' to be honest.

+1, where did you hear about this trick?

Brown is dong himself and his club no favours tbh, that interview on the Beeb is embarrassing. Ranting about what Fabregas was wearing? :rolleyes:

Brown is dong himself and his club no favours tbh, that interview on the Beeb is embarrassing. Ranting about what Fabregas was wearing? :rolleyes:

Aye, it's cringeworthy.

Brown: "I didn't say that. Did I?"
    Interviewer:"Eh, yes Phil, I think you did."

:rolleyes:

For those of you who don't venture into the Arsenal superthread:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7950507.stm

He's caught out a couple of times there, and I think both presenters gave him an easy time TBH. Regardless of what happened last night, Brown comes out of it looking far worse, and I have a lot of time for the man (and could hardly be described as a Goon cheerleader...;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Wow, that interview was pathetic.

Ranting about what Fabregas was wearing (did Brown not see his own jacket last Saturday?)

Getting all defensive and going down the 'are you questioning my integrity?' route when the interviewers asked him did anybody else see the alleged incident.

He won't make an official complaint because he doesn't want to be a tell tale, but is fine with going on national tv and radio and making all the accusations he wants.

His denial of his comments attacking Arsenal in general.

The complete silence after a few of the questions he was asked and had no answer to.

The are you questioning me integrity bit probably made me laugh the most. People who do that are generally quite stupid or are lying and that's the best defense they can come up with. It's your word against his dumbass, of course they're going to ask if anybody else saw what you say happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Wow, that interview was pathetic.

Ranting about what Fabregas was wearing (did Brown not see his own jacket last Saturday?)

Getting all defensive and going down the 'are you questioning my integrity?' route when the interviewers asked him did anybody else see the alleged incident.

He won't make an official complaint because he doesn't want to be a tell tale, but is fine with going on national tv and radio and making all the accusations he wants.

His denial of his comments attacking Arsenal in general.

The complete silence after a few of the questions he was asked and had no answer to.

The are you questioning me integrity bit probably made me laugh the most. People who do that are generally quite stupid or are lying and that's the best defense they can come up with. It's your word against his dumbass, of course they're going to ask if anybody else saw what you say happened.

arsene was pretty quiet when he was shown the offside goal that stood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

ntlbell wrote: »
    arsene was pretty quiet when he was shown the offside goal that stood.

No he wasn't actually, he made up some bullshit.

And what has that got to do with Brown's interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Sounds so blown of out proportion to me, probably spat on the ground as any other player would do after a match:

Again, very tired from sittign in the stand was he?

Stekelly wrote: »
    Again, very tired from sittign in the stand was he?

Who spits because they're tired?

• Advertisement

Who spits because they're tired?

Who spits (I assuem this happened somewhere inside the stadium?, not pitchside) because they've been sitting on their arse watchign a match?

Players spit when they've been running around and get a build up of saliva.

He didnt really have a reason to be spitting, less so near people and why indoors?

At the end of the day if I walked up to you and spat at your feet you'd take it as me spitting at you. Why would I spit close enough to you to make you think I was spitting at you if I wasnt?

I think the "Fabregas is a saint and would never do such a thing" arguement has been well put to bed with the video above anyway. So I think anyone using his supposed good nature to defend him blindly should think again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anytime I ever felt the need to spit I turned away from people to do it, its called respect for others. If somebody spat at me like that I would certainly take issue with it. I remember being at a game years ago when sombody spat at somebody else, the receiver of the saliva upended the guy. The ref seen everything and sent off the player who spat and yellow carded the guy who floored him. Nobody complained as we all felt that there was no defense for spitting at somebody, unfortunately the guy who spat was on the team I was shouting for.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

jeez I don't really care but Brown has shown him self up in that interview - ****in wow. and also lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

If I'm being honest, I definitely agree that Fabregas is no saint and might well have done it. But the lack of evidence and Brown's crazy ranting hasn't done him any favours at all. That interview with the BBC shows him up completely, including how it initially went from insinuating that Fabregas spat at Horton in the face out on the pitch, to spitting on the ground beside him in the tunnel.

Also,
    "He wouldn't shake my hand when we beat them fairly 2-1 at the Emirates,

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/27092008/8/photo/hull-city-s-manager-phil-brown-shakes-hands-arsenal-s.html
    he wouldn't shake my hand when they beat us, fairly, 3-1 at the KC Stadium."

08-09-_Hull_City_1-3_Arsenal-new.gif
    :rolleyes:

Wahey 1000th post!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

eagle eye wrote: »
    Anytime I ever felt the need to spit I turned away from people to do it, its called respect for others. If somebody spat at me like that I would certainly take issue with it. I remember being at a game years ago when sombody spat at somebody else, the receiver of the saliva upended the guy. The ref seen everything and sent off the player who spat and yellow carded the guy who floored him. Nobody complained as we all felt that there was no defense for spitting at somebody, unfortunately the guy who spat was on the team I was shouting for.

A valuable moral lesson here. :rolleyes:

Morf wrote: »
    A valuable moral lesson here. :rolleyes:

A far more valuable one was learned by the utter knacker that spat on the guy.

• Advertisement

A far more valuable one was learned by the utter knacker that spat on the guy.

He allegedly spat on the ground beside the guy. Whilst still disgraceful and very disrespectful, not nearly as bad. Nice to see you haven't been influenced by the media or Brown though.

playa3 wrote: »
    He allegedly spat on the ground beside the guy. Whilst still disgraceful and very disrespectful, not nearly as bad. Nice to see you haven't been influenced by the media or Brown though.

Nice to see you can read.

The discussion was about the two guys in Eagle eyes story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I was actually going to bring this up today, thought of it in work. It certainly looks bad for him but there wasnt anything done about it.
    Surely if he did spit Ballack would have been much more vocal?

I believe their may be an interview somewhere in which Ballack says Cesc did not spit at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

dare I say it... Brown sounds more and more like Warnock every day, blame everyone and everything else that moves without thinking of the consequences. Shame, because he has promise as a manager, but he's clearly got a bit of a daft streak to him. It also became apparent in that interview (desite his protests to the contrary) that he really regretted some of things he said, could be a bad omen for his career methinks.
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    I believe their may be an interview somewhere in which Ballack says Cesc did not spit at him.

yup, it's somewhere but i couldn't find a link. Cesc said something like 'puta' to Ballack after the challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Even if Fab did spit on yer man, he's a tank regardless and if anything I have even more respect for Fab now. He's so unbelieveably good looking and at the end of the day that's what matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Even if Fab did spit on yer man, he's a tank regardless and if anything I have even more respect for Fab now. He's so unbelieveably good looking and at the end of the day that's what matters.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

mayordenis wrote: »
    jeez I don't really care but Brown has shown him self up in that interview - ****in wow. and also lol
    playa3 wrote: »
    Brown's crazy ranting hasn't done him any favours at all. That interview with the BBC shows him up completely, including how it initially went from insinuating that Fabregas spat at Horton in the face out on the pitch, to spitting on the ground beside him in the tunnel.
    I lost time for Brown after those half time antics earlier in the season. This is further proof of his ranting and precious behaviour. The pressure is on now and he's looking for any outlet for his increasingly bitter rants. I hope Hull are relegated and this chancers ego is knocked down a few pegs.

Nice to see you can read.

The discussion was about the two guys in Eagle eyes story.

Woops apologies. I missed his post and didn't know you were referring to that:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

So....................Arsenal beat Hull, hey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Just to be clear I'm not condoning Fabregas if it's indeed proven he spat on the guy. I just have no time for Brown and his petty rants, that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Great article from the times below ref cesc and that twat Brown

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/hull/article5935106.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Ya could see on Setanta that Arsene was looking to see who was around after the match, possibly to shake hands. And he shook hands with Brown after both the other matches this season.
    Brown sounds like he's crying on the BBC interview, it's pretty pathetic really.

Advertisement