Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA confirm bids received for World Cup(s)

• 17-03-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7948229.stm

Nine bids interested in hosting either 2018 or 2022:

England, Russia, Australia, the USA, Japan, Mexico, Indonesia and joint bids from Portugal-Spain and Netherlands-Belgium.

Two bids for 2022 only:

Qatar and South Korea

My money's on Australia and England, probably in that chronological order.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Tis funny reading on other forums about how some English people think they have a god given right to host it this time. I really wouldn't be surprised if Spain/Portugal got ahead of them, with Australia taking the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

England will definitely get one of those two. I'd also guess that the USA will be seriously considered for another tournament. Since the last one over there the MLS took off and has been expanding and the game has huge potential over there as more kids play soccer now than ever before.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

they would hardly bring it back to japan so soon? netherlands beligium would work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Daysha wrote: »
    Tis funny reading on other forums about how some English people think they have a god given right to host it this time.

Yeah, on a lot of forums the debate has moved on to whether JamesPark or StadiumOfLight should be the NorthEast ground, and which of the stadiums other than Wembley should get the 2nd SemiFinal.
    Fks sake lads you haven't even been awarded it yet.

Having said that they probably have as good a bid as any of the other contenders.

It would help their case if they showed a bit of humility in the bidding process rather than considering it their 'right' - they should take note of the Seb Coe led bid for the 2012 Olympics (and also learn from their abject mistakes in the late 90s when they were bidding for 2006).

In fairness there are any amount of good stadiums in the country and you have to think - Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool etc. all have good airports - not they have the right but they have the structure in place for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Hopefully England gets it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I want England to get it for two seasons,

A. They have the biggest stadiums [Old Trafford and Wembely would be great for semis]
    B. It's very close to us, we could get to see an awful awful lot of matches fairly easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

England is long overdue a WC and should be first choice for the next by some stretch.

Why are Spain involving themselves in a joint bid? Sure even Portugal could probably host it on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Because they are trying to compete with the stadiums that England have.

Inside London:
    Wembley - 90k
    Twickenham Stadium - 82k
    Emirates - 60k
    White Heart Lane - 60k

Outside London:
    Old Trafford - 80k
    St James - 52
    Anfield - 45k [probably up to 60 by WC]
    Villa Park - 42k

5 stadiums over 60k, three over 80k.

PHB wrote: »

Inside London:
    Wembley - 90k
    Twickenham Stadium - 82k
    Emirates - 60k
    White Heart Lane - 60k

Outside London:
    Old Trafford - 80k
    St James - 52
    Anfield - 45k [probably up to 60 by WC]
    Villa Park - 42k

5 stadiums over 60k, three over 80k.

They wont use 4 stadiums in london will they?

12 stadiums over 40k are needed though. Has Twickenham been mentioned or did you add that in?

Going by teh first link I found, so might not be accurate, Spain seems to only have 6 or so grounds with over 40k. Some of the teams outside the bigger teams seem to have quite small grounds.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »

Inside London:
    Wembley - 90k
    Twickenham Stadium - 82k
    Emirates - 60k
    White Heart Lane - 60k

I thought it was a maximum of 2 grounds in one city, and I would be very surprised if they involved the RFU anyway. Why share the profits?

I would imagine that the two biggest obsticles to overcome in a joint bid are transport and currency. Spain and Portugal are right beside each other and they both use the same currency as well as both being members of the EU so it doesn't cause as much logistical problems than what Japan and Korea had to deal with.

But the England bid needs to deal with the uneven distribution of WC worthy stadiums around the country to have a serious chance of winning the bid. FIFA won't allow more than 2 stadiums to be used in London, and they won't alllow more than 1 stadium to be used in any other city. Going by that criteria, the 12 stadiums most likely to be used are:

London: Wembley & the Emirates (or maybe Twickenham)
    Manchester: Old Trafford
    Liverpool: Stanley Park
    Newcastle: St. James Park
    Sunderland: Stadium of Light
    Birmingham: Villa Park
    Leeds: Elland Road
    Sheffield: Hillsbrough (improved)
    Nottingham: City Ground (improved)
    Middlesbrough: Riverside (improved)
    Southampton: St.Marys (improved)

That was the best I could come up with, and even then it's not perfect. You've got 3 stadiums within 50kms over each other in the north east and 4 stadiums in the north west while the east around Norwich/Ipswich is completely unrepresentated. I know Southampton is questionable but there really neeeds to be one in the south west, because if not you'll have to add another midlands stadium, probably Leicester.

And of course they'll be forced to omit great stadiums like the COMS, the new Everton stadium and possible new stadiums for West Ham and Spurs.

Spain/Portugal meanwhile, have a great chance:

Barcelona: Camp Nou (98,000)
    Madrid: Santiago Bernabeu (80,000) and Estadio La Peineta (At. Madrid new stadium, 73,000)
    Sevilla: Estadio de la Cartuja (75,000)
    Valencia: Nou Mestalla (Valencia new stadium, 75,000)
    Bilbao: Estadio San Mamés (to be improved to 58,000)

Lisbon: Estádio da Luz (65,000)
    Porto: Estádio do Dragão (50,000)

These are 8 stadiums that are ready at the moment to host WC games. I don't know what could be used after that because I'm not as familiar with the smaller stadiums. The capacity needed for Euro 04 was only 30,000, so a few Portugal stadiums do need upgrading.

5 stadiums over 73,000 though, that's pretty impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Stekelly wrote: »

Not a chance.

Wembley
    The Emirates
    Old Trafford
    New Anfield
    Sid James'
    Villa Park
    Hillsborough
    Elland Road
    Pride Park (plans to expand from 33.5k to 44k)
    New City Ground (plans to redevelop to 50k)

Throw in the City of Manchester and one of Riverside/Madejski (both have planning permission to bring up to around the 40k mark)

Not a lot of work there overall. Biggest problem is access to the majority of those stadiums.

12 stadiums over 40k are needed though. Has Twickenham been mentioned or did you add that in?

City of Manchester Stadium - Capacity 47,726
    Elland Road - Capacity 39,460
    Stadium of Light - Capacity 49,000
    St James' Park - Capacity 52,387
    Anfield - Capacity 45,362
    Goodison Park - Capacity 40,158
    Villa Park - Capacity 42,640
    Old Trafford - Capacity 76,212
    Hillsborough Stadium - Capacity 39,814

I know Elland road and Hillsborough fall a tiny bit short but I imagine with the money that would be pumped in it wouldn't be an issue

Then Obviously Wembley (90,000), The Emirates(60,355) would be the top 2 in london.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

While poor aul Spain are stuck with

Madrid
    Bernabeu 80,354
    Estadio Vicente Calderon 57,500/Estadio La Peineta 73,000

Camp Nou 98,934
    Barca Olympic Stadium 55,000
    Manuel Ruiz de Lopera (Seville) 55,500
    Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán (Seville) 55,000
    Estadio La Cartuja (Seville) 72,000
    Estadio Mestalla (Valencia) 55,000

Guys, remember that only one city can have 2 stadiums. So mayordennis your list wouldn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

USA will get one. You can bank on that. Fifa will continue to try (in vain) to break into the worlds biggest market.

Guys, remember that only one city can have 2 stadiums. So mayordennis your list wouldn't work.

ahh though no city could have more than 2 but assumed it would be fine for manchester to have 2 london to have 2 liverpool to have 2 etc.

London: Wembley & the Emirates (or maybe Twickenham)
    Manchester: Old Trafford
    Liverpool: Stanley Park
    Newcastle: St. James Park
    Sunderland: Stadium of Light
    Birmingham: Villa Park
    Leeds: Elland Road
    Sheffield: Hillsbrough (improved)
    Nottingham: City Ground (improved)
    Middlesbrough: Riverside (improved)
    Southampton: St.Marys (improved)

StJames, The Riverside and The staium of light wont all be used. They are far too close.

Considering the amount of building Sth Africa have been allowed to do in prepartion I think theres plenty of time for England to do a smuch improvement as is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

how exactly do they choose who gets it?

• Advertisement

coin toss

how exactly do they choose who gets it?

Bribes would play a big part Im sure. After that they make reasons like moving to different continents etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

bohsman wrote: »
    Bribes would play a big part Im sure. After that they make reasons like moving to different continents etc.
    Like implementing some of blatters and platini's ideas.

Should be just alternated between England, Germany Spain , Italy and France. **** everyone else. Sure isnt it enough that we let them play. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Not trying to be funny and freely admit no country has a god given right to host to world cup,but surely at this stage England have more of a 'right' to stage the finals than most other nations?

Stadia and infastructure aside(which are both top class anyway),England are one of the leading nations in the game and pretty much always have been,football is the national sport and I think at 50+ years waiting would certainly be due and deserving imo.
    When you allign this with the infastructure and facilities and lets not forget the popularity of the Premier League world wide,this should be an absolute nobrainer.
    Unfortunately I realise it's not as simple as this and we're not/and never will be privvy to what goes on in the sometimes crazy political landscape of FIFA,but my fingers are crossed and I will be stunned if England are not given the go-ahead for the 2018 championships.

Should be just alternated between England, Germany Spain , Italy and France. **** everyone else. Sure isnt it enough that they let us play. :)

fyp

bohsman wrote: »
    fyp

Do you watch the finals at all? They dont let us play most of the time :D Best we can hope for is to be lumped in with everyone else and have the tournaments as close as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I know the OP says 'England', not the UK, but can they use stadiums in Cardiff or Glasgow?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I know the OP says 'England', not the UK, but can they use stadiums in Cardiff or Glasgow?

Not a UK bid,it is an English bid so I would say no.

• Advertisement

Not without Wales or Scotland being in on the bid and getting automatic qualification too.

Wales only have one stadium that would be used so itd just be a charity gift to get them qualified if it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

1. England
    2. USA
    3. Portugal-Spain
    4. Netherlands-Belgium.

Really hope England get 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Australia ftw

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Australia ftw

Aren't most of the Australia stadiums used by other sports?
    How would these other sports react to the FIFA restrictions?
    Stuff like no other events to be played on them for the duration of their use during the competition (and for about 4 weeks beforehand as well I think).
    Definely no tri-nations or Rugby League or Rules etc to be played on these grounds for 6/7 weeks.

I'm guessing that they'd see the 'bigger picture' and go along with it, just wondering how much of a disturbance it would cause to the sporting calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Australia ftw

If Australia get the world cup,i'll either piss my pants laughing or vomit,I suspect the latter,either way my washing machine will be required:pac:

I guess I wouldn't be too surprised though

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

If Australia get the world cup,i'll either piss my pants laughing or vomit,I suspect the latter,either way my washing machine will be required:pac:

I guess I wouldn't be too surprised though
    I'm down in oz at the mo and they are really confident on getting one of the two. Their stadia is excellent as is transport. Back to europe in 18 so england for me imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Aren't most of the Australia stadiums used by other sports?
    How would these other sports react to the FIFA restrictions?
    Stuff like no other events to be played on them for the duration of their use during the competition (and for about 4 weeks beforehand as well I think).
    Definely no tri-nations or Rugby League or Rules etc to be played on these grounds for 6/7 weeks.

I'm guessing that they'd see the 'bigger picture' and go along with it, just wondering how much of a disturbance it would cause to the sporting calendar.

It would probably cause massive problems, particularly as the AFL would be on at the same time and that uses most of the good stadia on a weekly basis.

Super 14 finishes the end of May so no worries with that clashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I read in some paper recently(think it was the Sunday Times) that FIFA are looking for single-country bids, so that would rule out Spain-Portugal, and Holland-Belgium. Think it might have been same article, but Bristol City was mentioned as a potential stadium, assuming that they get permission to build a new ground, and England win the bid.

I do think England will get it, probably for 2018. Stadiums in place, infrastructure in place. And then for bias purposes, it'd ust be very handy. For 2022, it'll be between Australia and USA, as South Korea won't get it again IMO.

I highly doubt Spain/Portugal would've put in a bid if they weren't told by FIFA that they weren't going to given equal billing with the single nation bids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It was a few weeks ago, so could've made up. I don't remember the whole thing. Then again, I'm fairly sure FIFA wouldn't have told them that.
    Bristol among potential hosts for 2018 World Cup

BRISTOL, Sunderland, Hull and Portsmouth are being considered as places that might stage World Cup matches by the team behind England’s bid to host the 2018 tournament, writes Jonathan Northcroft.

Four members of the team will set off tomorrow on a tour of potential venues, with Bristol among the first destinations, reflecting a desire to ‘truly take the tournament around the country’, according to Andy Anson, the bid’s chief executive. The technical paper to be submitted to Fifa by May 2010 must include 12 stadiums with minimum capacities of 40,000. London and Manchester are expected to provide more than one venue but there is felt to be room for less celebrated football cities to be included.

Liverpool, Leeds, Birmingham and Newcastle have also put themselves forward. ‘FIFA want to see a broad range of cities represented,’ Anson said. ‘2018 has to leave a legacy in terms of grass roots participation and facilities which can be used by the community.’ New stadiums would have to be built or existing ones revamped for Bristol, Portsmouth, Nottingham or Hull to host matches but there is expected to be strong local authority support in Bristol, in particular, for such a commitmen

Can't find the article bout the joint bid now though. Will keep looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Tis funny reading on other forums about how some English people think they have a god given right to host it this time. I really wouldn't be surprised if Spain/Portugal got ahead of them, with Australia taking the other one.
    Yeah, on a lot of forums the debate has moved on to whether JamesPark or StadiumOfLight should be the NorthEast ground, and which of the stadiums other than Wembley should get the 2nd SemiFinal.
    Fks sake lads you haven't even been awarded it yet.

Having said that they probably have as good a bid as any of the other contenders.

It would help their case if they showed a bit of humility in the bidding process rather than considering it their 'right' - they should take note of the Seb Coe led bid for the 2012 Olympics (and also learn from their abject mistakes in the late 90s when they were bidding for 2006).

Can you give us a link to any evidence of the English FA considering it their 'right'

You see I don't read or watch the English media so i would not really have seen any English reporting on this story

Not only do some people not like the English football team but now they seem to hate their submitting of a viable bid for a World cup.

Sad and pathetic are the only words I can use to describe it.

An English bid would be great, great opportunity for us here in Ireland to travel to almost any game we want to see.

best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

Do ye think Ireland will ever in our life time hold a World Cup/European International finals match?

The main problem is that we dont have the population to generate the revenue to host the games for this sport alone.

Saying this if the GAA opened their grounds we could easily to it.. how badly do you think they will miss the revenue once Landsdown road opens up again. I think its possible..

Poloman wrote: »
    Do ye think Ireland will ever in our life time hold a World Cup/European International finals match?

The main problem is that we dont have the population to generate the revenue to host the games for this sport alone.

Saying this if the GAA opened their grounds we could easily to it.. how badly do you think they will miss the revenue once Landsdown road opens up again. I think its possible..

It's a non runner, and has been much discussed on this board, the GAA grounds would have to have major development plus the games will clash with the GAA season.

Oh and by the way the GAA will be just fine without the revenue from soccer and Rugby, don't worry.

Can you give us a link to any evidence of the English FA considering it their 'right'

Not only do some people not like the English football team but now they seem to hate their submitting of a viable bid for a World cup.

An English bid would be great, great opportunity for us here in Ireland to travel to almost any game we want to see.

best of luck with it

Not sure if you were implying that I was against an English bid.
    Far from it, my Dad (half English) was at 4 of the Wembley games in 66 and I'd love to see it return to England and perhaps be able follow in his footsteps in that small way.

Re the previous bid for 2006 -
    No I can't give you any specifics links to where the FA say they considered it their right, they are not that blatant about it. Just the whole campaign from start to finish was badly done.
    Bert Millichip had made a verbal agreement with the German FA that the latter would support an England Euro96 bid in return for a clear run at 2006.
    Sadly the new people at the FA post96 backtracked on this, and wheeled out the 1966 players to talk about how 2006 should go to England, they had more rights than germany who'd hosted it more recently in 74, it would be the 40th anniversary etc.
    Then started massive scare stories about the South Africa security/infrastructure situation.
    Turned me right off their bid and was thrilled when they only finished 3rd behind Germany and SouthAfrica.

But yeah, at this moment I hope they get 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Probably different rules, but the RWC 2007 was held in France, but there were games played in Cardiff and Edinburgh.

Probably different rules, but the RWC 2007 was held in France, but there were games played in Cardiff and Edinburgh.

Completely different rules, completely different situation

The RWC is a mickey mouse tournament compared to the FIFA WC.

Bringing in Scotland or Wales into a England bid would guarantee them qualification, when qualification would be a stretch for them, especially Wales for the sake of one stadium.

In RWC the 6 nations are almost guaranteed qualification on merit anyway to offering a few games to a different country is used as a bargaining chip for votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The US will definitely host it again at some stage and they have the added benefit of it not clashing with NFL season and having dozens of viable stadia.

No I can't, because that's not what I said. I said some people on other forums. Since when do regular posters like ourselves = the English FA :confused::confused:
    You see I don't read or watch the English media so i would not really have seen any English reporting on this story

Thats all well and good, thanks for sharing. Pity thats completely irrelevant to what I said.

Agree completely. But you seem to think we share different views.

I have absolutely no problem with the FA hosting it, it'd be great for us. All I've said in this thread is that it's going to be nowhere near as much of a walkover as according to some people I've talked to on other websites. There are lots of difficulties for the bid overcome. But if they win, feckin great.

So next time, try to understand what the person is actually saying before you go and call them sad and pathetic.

English 2018 nominated stadia.

World Cup Bid Stadia

Sunderland - Stadium of Light
    London - Wembley Stadium
    London - Emirates Stadium
    London - new White Hart Lane or Olympic Stadium
    Milton Keynes - Stadium MK
    Birmingham - Villa Park
    Manchester - City of Manchester Stadium
    Manchester - Old Trafford
    Nottingham - new Nottingham Forest stadium
    Leeds - Elland Road
    Sheffield - Hillsborough
    Newcastle/Gateshead - St James' Park
    Bristol - new Ashton Vale stadium
    Plymouth - Home Park
    Liverpool - Anfield or new Anfield

To be honest, it seems a slightly less impressive bid now that the stadium list is official - I'd put them marginally behind the Spain/Portugal bid (for political reasons as much as anything).

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/12/16/manual_151445.html

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

English 2018 nominated stadia.

World Cup Bid Stadia

Sunderland - Stadium of Light
    London - Wembley Stadium
    London - Emirates Stadium
    London - new White Hart Lane or Olympic Stadium
    Milton Keynes - Stadium MK
    Birmingham - Villa Park
    Manchester - City of Manchester Stadium
    Manchester - Old Trafford
    Nottingham - new Nottingham Forest stadium
    Leeds - Elland Road
    Sheffield - Hillsborough
    Newcastle/Gateshead - St James' Park
    Bristol - new Ashton Vale stadium
    Plymouth - Home Park

Liverpool - Anfield or new Anfield

To be honest, it seems a slightly less impressive bid now that the stadium list is official - I'd put them marginally behind the Spain/Portugal bid (for political reasons as much as anything).

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/12/16/manual_151445.html

When I first read your post I dismissed it to be honest. Then I checked a bit on the Iberian bid, and you're spot on, it is a better bid. Whatever about Hillsborough and Forest, what is the basis for stadiums in Bristol, Plymouth and Milton Keynes? They'd lie half empty most of the year.
    Bernabeu, Nou Camp, Vicente Calderon, Anoeta, San mames, Mestalla, Pizjuain, Lopera, da Luz, Jose Arveladze, Dragao wipe the floor with the English bid. I'd have some fun trekking around Spain for a month too.

Anyone feel Australia should be given a shot at 2018 and leave 2022 to the European bids? The Aussies have a great record in sport, and I'm sure they could pull off the World Cup. Ireland would be sure to qualify!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Hurrah Liverpool is getting a new Anfield for 2018. :)

Slightly mockadious. Wonder who's going to pay for it?

Plays right into G&H hands

• Advertisement
Advertisement