Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIFI signal dopouts

Options
  • 17-03-2009 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I have a computer with a belkin 54G usb adapter and a d-link dsl2740B router.

Sometimes the connection between the router and the adapter drops from 54Mbps to 1Mbps, this is not instant it tends to drop in a scale 54-38-18 during this I can still connect to the internet but pages tend to timeout more often, but once it drops to its lowest, I cannot access the internet nor the router page. If I reset the adapter it will jump back up to 54. I have used Netstumbler to check for other signals but there are none within range. What could be causing the signal drop-offs?

Thanks,
    daywalker

P.s. I previously had a netopia 2247 and it did the same with that one as well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I'm assuming your PC is a desktop.

The fact that you've had the same issue with two different routers leads me to think that the problem is with the USB adaptor.

I'd suggest fitting a PCI wireless card to the PC...something you can upgrade the antenna on.

I may be completely wrong, but if the PC is, like myself, getting a bit long in the tooth, then it may be a power supply problem. Have you tried plugging the adaptor in different USB slots?

E

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

move to wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

exaisle wrote: »
    I'm assuming your PC is a desktop.

The fact that you've had the same issue with two different routers leads me to think that the problem is with the USB adaptor.

I'd suggest fitting a PCI wireless card to the PC...something you can upgrade the antenna on.

I may be completely wrong, but if the PC is, like myself, getting a bit long in the tooth, then it may be a power supply problem. Have you tried plugging the adaptor in different USB slots?

E

Yes its a desktop, and no its not getting that long in the tooth, new last summer.

Have tried different ports as well as reinstalling drivers, I also used a usb extension cable and taped the adapter to the wall above the pc to remove it from any interference it may have gotten from the PC itself.

As to the PCI card, any recommendations (Router is N-compatible)? also where would i get different aerials for it, i'm thinking one on a cable so that I can extend it higher to get maximum signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

have a look at this, sounds like a similar issue

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055503768

Advertisement