Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Music Venue for Cork

Options
  • 17-03-2009 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

Surely its time someone did this. All thats there at present is The Savoy(which is after turning into a DJ gaff at present) and The Opera House(which seem to love only Brenden Grace, Daniel and the like, not that big anyway and not a proper music venue. Cyprus Avenue and The Pavillion are great but can only attract a certain act due to their size. The Marquee in Cork every summer is a huge success and surely its time for a Vicar Street or the like for Cork.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Waxing the Gaza

There's plans for an all purpose venue in the docklands development, whether that goes ahead in the current climate remains to be seen. I remember seeing an article in the examiner about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

There's plans for an all purpose venue in the docklands development, whether that goes ahead in the current climate remains to be seen. I remember seeing an article in the examiner about it.

Hope it does. Think music concerts are pretty much recessionary proof (well so I heard from one expert on the radio, Aikens guy i think). You'd imagine now would be the time to build with low labour costs in the building industry but there's probably planning issues etc. We badly need one in Leeside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bren Jacob

I love The Pavillion.
    I was told the capacity is about 450 so for a town the size of Cork I think its just about perfect.

Bren Jacob wrote: »
    I love The Pavillion.
    I was told the capacity is about 450 so for a town the size of Cork I think its just about perfect.

The Pav is great..good variety of acts and lovely venue(+good sound). But I'm talking about attracting big names, like some that have played in The Marquee - Roger Waters, Neil Young, Massive Attack, Flaming Lips etc.

Cork is crying out for a Vicar Street, IMO.These concerts were a sell out with a 5000 capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bren Jacob

Its a bit of a chicken and ege scenario.
    No one is willing to finance a big venue because not enough big acts put Cork on their tour list and you cant attract enough big acts as theres no suitable venue!
    Personally I dont think Cork is big enough to make it financially viable for a major venue but then again the INEC in Killarney seems to be able to keep its doors open.........

zudo wrote: »
    The Pav is great..good variety of acts and lovely venue(+good sound). But I'm talking about attracting big names, like some that have played in The Marquee - Roger Waters, Neil Young, Massive Attack, Flaming Lips etc.

Cork is crying out for a Vicar Street, IMO.These concerts were a sell out with a 5000 capacity.

• Advertisement

Bren Jacob wrote: »
    Its a bit of a chicken and ege scenario.
    No one is willing to finance a big venue because not enough big acts put Cork on their tour list and you cant attract enough big acts as theres no suitable venue!
    Personally I dont think Cork is big enough to make it financially viable for a major venue but then again the INEC in Killarney seems to be able to keep its doors open.........

Well thats my whole point about a suitable venue. Bob Dylan,Neil Young, Elton John, Rod Stewart, Kanye West, The Who, Pink, Dolly Parton, The Prodigy etc etc, all sold out shows within minutes of the tickets going on sale in Cork for The Marquee.

Surely if there was a permanent venue, it would be even easier for these acts and others to schedule it into their tour list, as the Marquee venue is restricted to around three weeks for the Cork mid summer festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I prefer more intimate gigs anyway. It's better when you get a chance to get near the performer. I particularly enjoyed Brian Wilson in the Marquee because it was only a quarter full and I was able to get with a few metres of him pretty easily anyway.

There's an absolute ton of good music available in the existing venues. Much more than I can find time to attend.

The Rebel Bar Group is gone into liquidation, which owns several pubs/clubs in Cork, including The Savoy.

Real shame, as there was some real great gigs there in the past - Buena Vista Social Club, Ryan Adams, Iron and Wine, Primal Sream, Beth Orton... Hope it's not the end for this venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

The Infirmary is a great spot for little club nights, cram 80+ in regularly. My mates run Moniker (electro & a recent breakcore night), then there's Baztard (sic) and Waatacore (breakcore) some really excellent nights there, intimate too, I think they'd bands there too once upon a time.

IMO the Savoy, not such a huge loss. It was a clinical and uninvolving venue for me, the artists brought there had nothing to do with The Rebel Bar Group in any way shape or form, let me tell you that much ;)

I've yet to be upstairs in the Pav but I hear good things about it.

Also, here's one for you. The license in the Pavillion physically extends into all of HMV. HMV is moving into the new Owen O Callaghan Academy St development. Could we see Cork's first mega venue? Who knows ;)

nah_biy! wrote: »
    The Infirmary is a great spot for little club nights, cram 80+ in regularly. My mates run Moniker (electro & a recent breakcore night), then there's Baztard (sic) and Waatacore (breakcore) some really excellent nights there, intimate too, I think they'd bands there too once upon a time.

IMO the Savoy, not such a huge loss. It was a clinical and uninvolving venue for me, the artists brought there had nothing to do with The Rebel Bar Group in any way shape or form, let me tell you that much ;)

I've yet to be upstairs in the Pav but I hear good things about it.

Also, here's one for you. The license in the Pavillion physically extends into all of HMV. HMV is moving into the new Owen O Callaghan Academy St development. Could we see Cork's first mega venue? Who knows ;)

Must check out 'The Infirmary', heard goods things.

I'd agree with you too about The Savoy, but I'd probably not have seen a few of my favourites only for it and I hope it's not the end.

The HMV thing is very interesting indeed, I'd love to see the Pav guys running an even bigger venue, with more scope of getting even bigger acts to Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

The Infirmary is almost strictly electronic tunes these days, though I'm sure there's an African night run there midweek too.

Advertisement