Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bucky Plaza Tonight ( Paddys Day)

Options
  • 17-03-2009 10:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Just spoke to a rather rattled mate who drove past Bucky Plaza @ 8pm in his swank 09 wheels .

He said that it is insane down there at the moment with cops everywhere trying to herd drunks off the road .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Well id certainly believe that! The place was manic at 4 pm today! people everywhere! A crowd were applauding a man using a dustbin as some bongo drums! There was also a mexican wave (or ten) being conducted while i was there! The line forming to get into Harvest was a sight aswell!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Hang on, has "Bucky Plaza" actually stuck as a de facto name?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It has , Buckfast Lane is the one that did not stick .

I even know pensioners who call it Bucky Plaza nowadays , they walk their dogs there of a morning .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

It was getting fairly rowdy when I was there at around 5pm. The cops looked pretty unprepared - during race week etc they usually have big bins everywhere and barriers beside the window... gotta say I'm kinda tempted to take a walk or a spin down there now and see what's going on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Yah, I drove by at about 6:30pm and the traffic had to crawl past, it looked very messy to be honest: youngsters locked walking in and out of traffic, scumbags looking very dodgy (I think there was a fight going on behind the museum), and two cops up a Jurys trying not to look worried! The place was packed.

I'd say the cops are in for a busy night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Here's a snap I took at around 4pm:
    bry0axyo2c509w6tv32_thumb.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Oops , the tide is in right now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Well id certainly believe that! The place was manic at 4 pm today! people everywhere! A crowd were applauding a man using a dustbin as some bongo drums!

He was mad, that fella.

I was there around 4pm and the amount of people there was unreal. A few guards trying to maintain a presence and they kept being chatted up by drunken girls.
    Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Was there around 5:30 - it was packed but it didn't seem crazy - just a lot of people, most of them sitting down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Were the gardai emptying alcohol bottles given that it is illegal to drink in public?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

not when I was there

I don't think they would have wanted to start a riot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i was down there all afternoon. it had a great atmosphere, but the amount of litter was disgusting, every bin there was spewing with rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Aye, I was out on the middle pier for a while yesterday afternoon. It was nice to have a few cans in the sunshine, and there was a nice laid-back buzz around. However, I left about half five... I'd say that it wasn't quite so nice a couple of hours after that!

I did see a handful of cops strolling around but to be honest, they'd have needed every paddywagon in Galway to confiscate the drink. I was also wondering why they got rid of the skips that are normally down there. The only explanation myself and the mates could think of was that they were afraid of them being pushed into the river or something; surely they could have chained the bins to the lampposts though?

I was there too. It was by far one of the best Paddy's day I've had in Galway. Were the pubs busy at all? It seemed like everyone was down the Arch drinking away.

So does this mean we're not calling it the Sparch anymore? And Sparchin it up? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

So is Galway County Council going to ban St. Patricks Day now or is that too much of a money spinner for the tourism industry? Hmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I was in town around 10ish last night to get takeaway.It was well on the way to getting very messy then.A lot of smashed glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I was there during the day, left around 4pm

I was expecting to see stuff on the news about number of arrests etc. but there was nothing. Im thinking, apart from the usual rubbish and few arrests, it was a "good" st paddys day. Or are stories being brushed under the carpet?

245598851a10372032642l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

the general public are going to moan and groan about people littering in the next few days because of the state of the place, where the hell are people suppost to put the emptys?? people made an effort to put the rubbish in/around the bin but thats the most you could do.

the atmosphere was great in the arch all day yesterday, i left at about 9pm when it was starting to get messy.

why didnt they have 10 port-a-loo's there, and ten big whelly bins randomly placed around to save more of a mess again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JIZZLORD wrote: »

Probably same person - I saw a guy dressed like this, arse and all, at lunchtime today walking down Shop St. with a can in his hand, looks like he's making a right ol' session of Paddy's Day! :pac:

• Advertisement

JIZZLORD wrote: »

I respect the effort!

What was with the people being lowered down the bamk on the salthill side of the river?It happened a few times and people were cheering.

I agree that there should have been port-a-loos left somewhere. And a lot more bins.

If there's one thing I've noticed about Galway city council it's that they seem to not give a crap about the litter situation. There's many parts of the city that have no bins whatsoever, and the places that need them (ie Eyre Square/Spanish Arch) there's not enough!

And then Jury's stopped allowing people from using their toilets, and so began a hunt for somewhere you can pee!

Agreed,Galway needs more bins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Agreed,Galway needs more bins

For sure. I think they just dont want too many as people are abusing them by stuffing their own refuse in them due to the high rise in refuse costs. Although i do think this may be less possible with the newer design of bins. i.e Smaller openings to fit the rubbish through.

In Toronto they had recycling bins. Gave you an option on the bin, say between, paper plastic and glass or something like that?

However I doubt Galway City Council would be interested in anything like that! :rolleyes:

What was with the people being lowered down the bamk on the salthill side of the river?It happened a few times and people were cheering.

pics?

i missed this as i was chatting to someone and when someone pointed it out the glare from the river made it impossible to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I think Galway has a problem with a lack of bins full stop, I remember it really annoying me that there were no bins from Wards shop by the uni till you reach the town hall...where as I supposed to put my sandwich wrapping?! In the river?!

Seriously tho, that pic indicates that people generally don't want to make a mess, and you will see similar images from an average sunny weekend, why not either have bigger bins with small openings so no household rubbish, or else have someone change the bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

I think Galway has a problem with a lack of bins full stop, I remember it really annoying me that there were no bins from Wards shop by the uni till you reach the town hall...where as I supposed to put my sandwich wrapping?! In the river?!

Seriously tho, that pic indicates that people generally don't want to make a mess, and you will see similar images from an average sunny weekend, why not either have bigger bins with small openings so no household rubbish, or else have someone change the bags?

+1 on days like yesterday and today there is nothing that can be done except get bins and port aloos, alothogh if you do get portaloos it might look like an encouragement to drink there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Yeah the portaloos aren't the greatest idea, sorta not a lot you can do really. Used to live in one of those apartments overlooking the 'plaza' and used to get randomners knocking on the door looking for use of the loo....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Council crews were emptying the bins around 9pm when I walked through.

Suspect it may have been a bit challenging to get the truck in to the plaza safely earlier in the day.

Advertisement