Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bucky Plaza Tonight ( Paddys Day)

Options

Comments

JustMary wrote: »
    Council crews were emptying the bins around 9pm when I walked through.

Suspect it may have been a bit challenging to get the truck in to the plaza safely earlier in the day.

It had no problem getting up shop street at 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

lads its called "sparch" ...never heard of Bucky Plaza before and im down there allout :P ... anyway it was fairly wedged down there ! was a good atmosphere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Disgraceful carry on tbh. Where is the good Councillor Michael Crowe when you need him?

Oh Michael.... we need a press release, stat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I passed through town around 5 and headed back in around 10.A bit messy and I saw young lads pricking about outside a retirement home.However there seemed to be a good atmosphere around.Did anyone hear anything about the streetlights being turned off?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Galway needs its own TheCitizen to sort these ruffians out.

• Advertisement

Someone beat Michael Crowe to it. He must be devastated!

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/9865
    McNelis condemns loutish behaviour of St Patrick’s Night drinkers
    Galway Advertiser, March 19, 2009.

By Kernan Andrews

This year’s St Patrick’s Day Parade was possibly the best ever, but the national day in Galway was spoiled by the drinking, loutish behaviour, vomiting, and littering which took place that night.

This is the view of Labour’s Galway City West candidate Níall McNelis who said the Spanish Arch area was “like a bombsite” after the night’s festivities.

“The amount of litter and empty bottles was unbelievable,” Mr McNelis told the Galway Advertiser. “Many businesses had to spend time this morning cleaning up the vomit and urine from people who had used them as toilets last night.”

He said the events of St Patrick’s Day portrayed the best and worst of the city to tourists.

“The parade was fantastic,” he said. “It was brilliant to see the African community, the Seventh Day Adventist Church, and other groups, which we may not have associated with Galway, come out on our day and really add to the celebrations. It was good to see and it is good for integration.

“On the other hand there was a group of American visitors to the city and I’m wondering what they thought of all the litter and drinking they saw. If they were thinking of investing in Galway, they might think again after witnessing that.”

Mr McNelis said it is essential that in future the gardaí put in place a proper post-parade plan to curb and deal with the public drinking and recklessness that often occurs on St Patrick’s Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

So in this country, we have law and order. But not if a large enough crowd decides otherwise? Crazy.

Any cop who is afraid of starting a riot isn't worth his wages. Just give a 15 minute warning over the megaphone to disperse. Then if there is no compliance, move in and remove the alcohol. If anyone gets obstreperous at this point, extendible truncheon swung hard just under kneecap. When they go down, cuffs on and swing em in to back of van. Others who are thinking about cheek at this point usually reconsider.

The binge drinking is way out of control in this country. Some foreigners revel in this 'Irish = get pissed' idea and come here in March for that specific purpose. However, for the majority of foreign visitors, what went on was a disgrace. Ireland is unlikely to pull off any great sporting or industrial coups in the next 20 years judging by the 'craic' at the Spanish arch.

Wasters and proud of it. Lurching from one piss-up to another. No reality please. We're Irish. We're great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

:rolleyes:

topper75 wrote: »
    So in this country, we have law and order. But not if a large enough crowd decides otherwise? Crazy.

Any cop who is afraid of starting a riot isn't worth his wages. Just give a 15 minute warning over the megaphone to disperse. Then if there is no compliance, move in and remove the alcohol. If anyone gets obstreperous at this point, extendible truncheon swung hard just under kneecap. When they go down, cuffs on and swing em in to back of van. Others who are thinking about cheek at this point usually reconsider.

The binge drinking is way out of control in this country. Some foreigners revel in this 'Irish = get pissed' idea and come here in March for that specific purpose. However, for the majority of foreign visitors, what went on was a disgrace. Ireland is unlikely to pull off any great sporting or industrial coups in the next 20 years judging by the 'craic' at the Spanish arch.

Wasters and proud of it. Lurching from one piss-up to another. No reality please. We're Irish. We're great fun.

Good man yourself. Why don't you ring Joe?

No one was hurt. There were no fights. If the council had provided bins there would have been no litter. What's your problem?

Fun police... :rolleyes:

It would be a sad day for this country if you ever get any authority in the real world! luckily people with such pointless nanny state opinions rarely do.

• Advertisement

It would be a sad day for this country if you ever get any authority in the real world! luckily people with such pointless nanny state opinions rarely do.

Um... Michael McDowell? :confused:

any copper who is afraid to start a riot isnt worth his wages-topper75.
    any copper that does this isnt worth his job and will get fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,486 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

getting legless on St Patricks Day in Bucky Plaza is tradition now.

It has replaced mass as the days entertainment.

Try it , you may enjoy it ;)

Thanks for all the efforts to re-educate me - I'll just recap on what I've learned from the thread today:

-Cops shouldn't enforce the law provided enough people break it at the same time. To do so would be precipitating a riot, which is ultimately the copper's fault.

-Laws against drinking outdoors are created and implemented for no other reason than to stop people having fun. There was no other logical reason for these laws.

-It's the city council's obligation to facilitate mass illegal outdoor pissups. Toilets should also be provided for the drinkers.

- Illegal outdoor pissups are good fun. They are an expression of a healthy culture and society. Vomit, litter, and destruction of property are a small price to pay (anyway - it is other people who are paying them!)

- People who lament the lack of law and order are right wing fanatics and wish only to have power over others, and if possible - spoil their fun.

Go back to your lectures and tutorials lads, and leave worrying about who gets into power to me.

Thanks for all the efforts to re-educate me - I'll just recap on what I've learned from the thread today:

-Cops shouldn't enforce the law provided enough people break it at the same time. To do so would be precipitating a riot, which is ultimately the copper's fault.

-Laws against drinking outdoors are created and implemented for no other reason than to stop people having fun. There was no other logical reason for these laws.

-It's the city council's obligation to facilitate mass illegal outdoor pissups. Toilets should also be provided for the drinkers.

- Illegal outdoor pissups are good fun. They are an expression of a healthy culture and society. Vomit, litter, and destruction of property are a small price to pay (anyway - it is other people who are paying them!)

- People who lament the lack of law and order are right wing fanatics and wish only to have power over others, and if possible - spoil their fun.

Go back to your lectures and tutorials lads, and leave worrying about who gets into power to me.
    I didn't see anybody vomit while I was there or cause destruction of property.Any links or pictures to prove this or are you talking out of your ass?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Try it , you may enjoy it ;)

Rarnes, I feel obliged to address your invitation to try it out. I drink myself. I am in no way anti-drink. I had 3 beers with friends in a pub in Galway - with the day that was in it - wet the shamrock and all.

I had fun and didn't act the fool. I didn't annoy anyone and didn't vomit on any shop shutters. I didn't throw any digs at someone who looked at me wrong and felt no obligation to chuck my supermac's rubbish onto the road. I didn't intimidate anyone or play chicken on the footpath against sober passersby.

However, the 'go for broke' how much can you drink approach is a whole different thing. It's not just a Paddy's day thing in Galway. Weekend after weekend, it is the same parade of assholes up and down the pedestrian thoroughfares, shouting and acting the fool, desperate for someone to look over and see what great craic they are. Daytrippers, stags, hens, Morons Inc. Drowning the unbearable thoughts of their pointless lives in a tidal wave of beer and shots.

Rag week, Paddy's, Race week etc. etc. The moron's Mecca.

Is it 21st century Ireland's ugly lot to endure this ad infinitum?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I got a good laugh out of this one :) although I don't agree with everything that's pretty much nailing this thread.

Lol. Lectures and tutorials eh, god I wish I was a student again alright...
    As for letting you worry about who gets into power, well thank God we all get a vote, wouldn't like to live in a country where only you decided :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Rarnes, I feel obliged to address your invitation to try it out. I drink myself. I am in no way anti-drink. I had 3 beers with friends in a pub in Galway - with the day that was in it - wet the shamrock and all.

I had fun and didn't act the fool. I didn't annoy anyone and didn't vomit on any shop shutters. I didn't throw any digs at someone who looked at me wrong and felt no obligation to chuck my supermac's rubbish onto the road. I didn't intimidate anyone or play chicken on the footpath against sober passersby.

However, the 'go for broke' how much can you drink approach is a whole different thing. It's not just a Paddy's day thing in Galway. Weekend after weekend, it is the same parade of assholes up and down the pedestrian thoroughfares, shouting and acting the fool, desperate for someone to look over and see what great craic they are. Daytrippers, stags, hens, Morons Inc. Drowning the unbearable thoughts of their pointless lives in a tidal wave of beer and shots.

Rag week, Paddy's, Race week etc. etc. The moron's Mecca.

Kinda have a piont.
    Dare I say it boils down to age and or maturity though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I sincerely hope you become a Gard, and get your head kicked in by a decent sized group you little fascist wretch. A.C.A.B.
    Ireland is unlikely to pull off any great sporting or industrial coups in the next 20 years judging by the 'craic' at the Spanish arch.
    Landsdowne Rd is hosting next year's UEFA (Europa) Cup Final. Do a bit of research before making yourself look a numpty. Although judging by the rest of your post, you've a lot to work on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

I sincerely hope you become a Gard, and get your head kicked in by a decent sized group you little fascist wretch. A.C.A.B.

Landsdowne Rd is hosting next year's UEFA (Europa) Cup Final. Do a bit of research before making yourself look a numpty. Although judging by the rest of your post, you've a lot to work on.

haha that gave me a giggle,

I love the arch (first year in Galway so I've never called it bucky lane). I was down there, paddy's day, yesterday and today for a bit. It was good fun, although I have seen some lads acting the C*nt and trying to ruin it for people who are genuinely just having a fun.

I was drinking all day there on paddy's day and I was hammered leaving, but I brought all my rubbish with me, its not a case that people ruined it by drinking too much but rather d*ckheads who are d*ckheads when they are sober, were drinking there!

Can't wait for race week!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You win a holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    any copper who is afraid to start a riot isnt worth his wages-topper75.
    any copper that does this isnt worth his job and will get fired.

An Garda Síochána - The Peace Guard / Guardians of the Peace.
    Starting riots is exactly what they should be trying to avoid.
    Why beat them if they're in good form when simply asking people to please make some space for a guy with a rubbish trolly/van to get in and change the bags would have pretty much everyone complying out of their own pride in decency.
    Explaining (over a loud hailer perhaps) in a non-aggressive tone what you want done and why it's a good idea is faster than a truncheon to the knees.

If people are brawling with broken bottles, then taking the legs from under them starts becoming a more likely option.

The puking annoys me. It's a waste of perfectly good drink and shows that the person is fscking clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The Gardai in Galway generally seem to take a fairly sensible but tolerant approach to public drinking. I can remember drinking cans at the sparch years ago - we were approached by a plainclothes cop who asked very nicely if we wouldn't mind putting our cans in the bin when we were finished. This sort of approach encourages responsible public drinking - in fairness you couldn't argue with the guy's approach.

Of course if we were pissing/puking/breaking glass in public that would be a different matter, I don't think it should be tolerated. Its a bit harder to effectively police this sort of behaviour while maintaining the general good spirit around the place. But in general I think the cops do a good job in keeping the peace in situations like Paddy's Day.

cornbb wrote: »
    The Gardai in Galway generally seem to take a fairly sensible but tolerant approach to public drinking. I can remember drinking cans at the sparch years ago - we were approached by a plainclothes cop who asked very nicely if we wouldn't mind putting our cans in the bin when we were finished. This sort of approach encourages responsible public drinking - in fairness you couldn't argue with the guy's approach.

Of course if we were pissing/puking/breaking glass in public that would be a different matter, I don't think it should be tolerated. Its a bit harder to effectively police this sort of behaviour while maintaining the general good spirit around the place. But in general I think the cops do a good job in keeping the peace in situations like Paddy's Day.

why did ya quote me? I think we re in agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    why did ya quote me? I think we re in agreement?

You must be referring to po0k's post? :)

cornbb wrote: »
    You must be referring to po0k's post? :)

Yep-my mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Iontach

I walked down Shop St on Paddy's Day with a can in my hand, and past several Gards, none of whom said anything.

Yet during RAG Week I was walking into town with a can and they came out of their squad car, shouted at me to pour the can away, and confiscated a closed bottle of beer I had in a bag. I asked her if she was allowed to confiscate closed drink, and she said "I'll do whatever I want". :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

'Fraid so.

In previous generations, the wasters emigrated, lived their lives in other countries.

Now, they stay at home.

• Advertisement

Iontach wrote: »
    I walked down Shop St on Paddy's Day with a can in my hand, and past several Gards, none of whom said anything.

Yet during RAG Week I was walking into town with a can and they came out of their squad car, shouted at me to pour the can away, and confiscated a closed bottle of beer I had in a bag. I asked her if she was allowed to confiscate closed drink, and she said "I'll do whatever I want". :confused:

Considering that before .. what was it .. 1pm on the Monday during RAG week, there were 40 arrests, then it's not surprising that they would have more of a strict approach.

The Guards had a presence down the Spanish Arch for the whole time I was there. But there was nobody fighting, puking, pissing, etc. etc. so there was no need for them to act.

And as for the litter. The only people who are to blame for that is the Galway city council for not having enough facilities to deal with that amount of rubbish. And, as proven by the photos, it wasn't like people were throwing their rubbish everywhere, they at least made an effort to dispose of them.

Advertisement