Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poem on the end of the pier

Options
  • 17-03-2009 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

If you walk out to the very end of the pier, there is a poem out there in brass on a stone stand. Its called something like August-September 1939. I think the author is Niece. Does anyone know what I am on about and where I might get the words? (I have tried searching the web but nothing)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

I don't know what you're on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Which peir?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

if you cross the river at spanish arch, you can walk out along a long pier. Its old with grass on top and a tarmac path.

Its called nimmons pier I think. Have alook at this map. Its the pier on the southside of the harbour.

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=53.266578&lon=-9.047591&zoom=17

If you walk right out to the end, there is a pillar with a poem cast in brass. I think its called August-September 1939. Its this I'm enquiring about

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Hmm, is it something about war and ships and England and it mentions Clare? Think I read it.

Can't offer you any help though, except maybe go out there with a pen and some paper :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

The pier is Nimmo's pier, after Alexander Nimmo, an engineer who worked with (or was engaged by) the Congested Districts Board to build various piers, roads etc. in the West during the nineteenth century.

Is the poet Louis MacNeice? Is the poem "Autumn Journal"

http://punkadiddle.blogspot.com/2008/02/macneices-autumn-journal-1939.html

I must go down next weekend and have a look myself.

• Advertisement

It's there, alright. It's about World War 2 (I think) and has no reference to either that or Galway really. Only about the sewerage, if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

I got it.

Its called 'Galway' on the memorial and is part of a series.
    The poet was Louis MacNeice as soemone said above. This poem was written on hearing the news of the German advance into Poland while MacNeice was on holiday in the west. Its pretty striking

O the crossbones of Galway
    The hollow grey houses,
    The rubbish and sewage,
    The grass-grown pier,
    And the dredger grumbling
    All night in the harbour:
    The war came down on us here.

Salmon in the Corrib
    Gently swaying
    And the water combed out
    Over the weir
    And a hundred swans
    Dreaming on the harbour:
    The war came down on us here.

The night was gay
    with the moon's music
    But Mars was angry
    On the hills of Clare
    And September dawned
    Upon Willows and ruins
    The war came down upon us here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

A bit late getting back to this and I see you've found it since!

Still, these may be of interest....

DSCF3900.jpg

DSCF3899.jpg

Advertisement