Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just another runner's tale.

Options
  • 17-03-2009 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi everyone, found this thread accidently a few weeks ago and now I'm ready to post and hopefully commit. Started to forget how much I've ran so this would be handy to keep all my info. But compared to some of you people on here, my logs are small change. Always been interested in running, not much, just a couple of miles. But for a year or so I began smoking and eating too much. My 4 year old honestly told me at the start of the year I was a fatty so at the end of jan I began running on a treadmill and stopped eating fatty foods.
    At the end of February I began road running and upped it to 4 miles.
    I Find it hard to get out but once I am , I feel great and I could stay out for longer but I make any excuse to stop.I've Lost a bit of weight and feel great,
    Here's my stats.

Sunday 8th march 4.01 miles
    Monday 9th march off
    Tuesday 10th march 4.60 miles
    Wednesday 11th march 3.50 miles
    Thursday and friday Lazy, i know.
    saturday 14th March 5.84
    Sunday 15 th march 7 miles

Monday 16 th march 7.34 miles
    Tuesay 17th March off

Trying to push myself to run further and its working but I know I could do better.I'm off work now for a few days so I should get out.
    If anyone has any suggestion how to warm up, would appeciate it. At the moment I jog for a half mile and then spped up after that.
    Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

While my wife is sleeping ( she works nights) and my son is at school. I decided to go out, and what a day. Just fantastic. Ran from Tinahely to Askakeagh. My gps packed in half way so I worked the miles on www.MapMyrun.com. 4 miles there and back , so thats 8 miles.I'm pretty pleased. Dunno why I'm really doing this, mainly cus I wanna lose more weight and maybe do a half marathon.
    Anyway gonna get a bath.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck with the log. Don't worry about the why and just enjoy, as the fitness builds so will your goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck darkestlord (cool name). I'm only up the road from you it seems (from your last run). Just outside Aughrim, me.

Thanks Slogger Jogger. Its a great area to run.

Today didn't go so well.
    I aimed for about 8 miles, but only got as far as 4 then gave in. I wasn't out of breath but my legs were aching.
    I'm gonna try and get out later, but it left me a bit dissinpointed.Nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭jlang

Don't worry about it. You need to give the legs time to recover after a hard run. Doing 8 miles again the day immediately after you did the distance for the first time wouldn't be easy. After extending your long run, you'll find you need an easy day or two (possibly a rest day - or a good walk) before repeating the exertion. Definitely don't go out and try for 8 this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Wow, you're doing really well!!! I can only manage to run about 2 or 3 mins without having to walk! :o
    Good luck & keep up the good work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭findingfitness

Hi Darkestlord

God 8 miles is brilliant well to me anyway I did my first 4.2 miles this week longest ever for me on road and I thought I was an absolute legend I was walking on air for the day after it lol... So all I can say is good on ya and maybe a entering a half marathon could be a good idea. I have entered a triathlon this summer and I find its really focusing me, im looking to lose weight too and i have hardly lost 2lbs but my shape has really changed and people are starting to say it to me so happy days!!. Well thats my 2cents worth lol but best of luck with it and happy running.

Thanks everyone for advice and support. Much appreciated :)
    The plan is to go on a few half marathons. Wexford looked interesting but no places left.:( But one I will do i is Kilkenny. I did it a few years ago but I think the route has changed.

Was pretty busy today at work so I didn't get out.. But to be honest,I really wanted a rest.I'm gonna get out the weekend though.Hopefully the weather is nice.

Went out after the rugby match. Overall I ran 7.24 miles. Pretty happy with the run, got a blister on the side of my foot but apart from that it went well. I think my time ( which I didn't post) are on the slow side but I think with time I can quicken. Working tomorrow so Hopefully I should get out. Got have a shower. Night.:cool:

Just to tidy this up a bit.Last week's details.
    Monday 16 th march 7.34 miles
    Tuesay 17th March off
    Wednesday 18th March 8 miles.
    Thursday 19th March 4.91 miles
    Friday 20th March off
    Saturday 21st March 7.91
    Sunday off

From the end of last week I was really tired and found it hard to get myself out. I was the same monday, my legs were still giving me jip.

Monday 23rd March. off
    Tuesay 24th March Morning 5.84 miles walking up the forestry.
    Afternoon 3.49 miles running.

Since last week found it hard to get out, hopefully I can push myself to do more this week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement