Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question on Planning for Exempt Domestic Sheds

• 17-03-2009 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I'm about to roof a timber shed that I've built behind my house & I've a few questions.

1. With regard to "matching the finish of the house" - my reading of the regs is that this only applies to structures at the side of the house. If not then the wooden sheds behind half the houses in the country would require planning.

2. With regard to the height requirement, where is this measured from?
    In my case, my back garden slopes away from my house. There is another row of houses behind this which are about a storey below. For this reason I took the time to excavate for the shed, meaning that the shed's finished floor level is about 500mm below the natural lawn level & about a metre below the finished floor level of my house.

3. With respect to the 3 / 4m limits on the roof height, I was planning a pitched roof giving a total height of about 4m but wasnt planning on slates or tiles for cladding. In your experience is this strictly enforced? Would patterned cladding be sufficient or is it really important once the roof is pitched. This may be a moot point subject to the responses to 2. above.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

See page no 156 of the 2001 Regs here

1. The jury was and still is out on this point.

2. Clear cut - measured from the lowest point of ground level.

3. Another clear cut answer. Roof - not cladding - is the applicable wording.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

Hi Muffler,
    Thanks for the response & link.
    On 2, thats fine, it doesnt make much difference to me anyway as I would be below the 4m from the finished floor level anyway.
    On 3, can you elaborate a bit further? Are you saying that the usage of the word "roof" implies that it must be tiled or slated?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

air wrote: »
    On 3, can you elaborate a bit further? Are you saying that the usage of the word "roof" implies that it must be tiled or slated?Thanks again.
    The usage of the word "roof" does not imply any specific material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

air wrote: »
    On 3, can you elaborate a bit further? Are you saying that the usage of the word "roof" implies that it must be tiled or slated?

Thanks again.
    As smashey said the roof can be finished in any material but the type of finish will dictate the maximum overall height for it to be exempt.

Pitched roof with tiles or slates = 4.00 max. height
    Any other material/roof type = 3.00 max. height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

Grand job, thanks lads.
    I'm putting plywood between the rafters & purlines, I think I'll put it up & leave it for a few weeks, if there's any objections I'll slate it, otherwise I'll just stick on some cladding. If anyone objects down the line it wouldnt be a major job to remove the cladding and add the slates.

If slate is reasonable I may just do it from the off.
    The finished apex will be about 3.5m above ground level.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement