Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interrailing (its that time of year!)

• 17-03-2009 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

Hey, me and 3 friends are planning to go interrailling at the end of August, start of September just before college restarts.

Today we started making out a bare bones itinerary, maybe ye can tell me if were being overly ambitious. We havent decided how long each "stage" will take yet. 21 day pass btw.

* Plane to Paris, stay there for 2 or 3 nights before the global pass starts.
    * Down to Monaco over the course of 3 or 4 days, we could take in Lyon Marseilles etc etc
    * Over to Venice in a few days, possibly take in any of Genova Milano Verona etc
    * Trieste, or another town on the Adriatic sea.
    * Zagreb
    * Budapest
    * Vienna
    * Prague
    * Finish in Berlin. Ideally arrive there on the last day of the pass and hang around for 2 or 3 days before flying home.

Is it stupid to get a train every day? We were thinking getting a morning train to arrive in the new place in the early afternoon but this might be naive!

Thanks for all feeback!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

You wouldn't need any longer than a day in Verona, I had a day there Jan 06 and it was really nice, I got to see most of the important things before I moved onto Florence. I would recommend 3 or 4 days in Venice although you are going at the worst time of year, it will PACKED with other tourists. You kind of have to see it though.

I've never heard a single good thing about Zagreb, supposedly it's just a boring city with no charm and I avoided on both my inter-rail trips. Budapest- awesome. Vienna- Amazing, 4 days at least and try to stay in Wombats hostel, it has it's own really cheap bar, the rooms are clean and it's basically the best hostel ever. Prague- awesome, go to the 5 story club and make sure to visit the castle and if you're into it, the Franz Kafka museum is brilliant.

Berlin- best place in Europe I think, No less than 3 days here and for the love of god go to this place at least once, you won't regret it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunsthaus_Tacheles. I've been to Berlin twice and the second trip I spent every single night (5) in this place, it has so many surprises and is possibly the coolest night spot ever (just watch the rats).

It's always better to spend more time in less cities than to rush a whole bunch, you'll find that you're leaving just as you settle in or are starting to get in the groove of the place.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

heya. ya roll on interrailing!

me and a group of mates are heading interrailing start of august..

the rough plan i think is
    fly to amsterdam
    berlin
    krakow
    prague
    munich
    venice
    rome
    and end in france somewhere
    then fly home again (knowing us we will chop and change all this before we go!)

we plan to do alot of traveling by train at night..

lot of planning to go into it but it will be savage craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

So valmont, do you think it would be better getting a 10 day in one month ticket rather than getting as 21 day global pass? We werent planning on staying in the one city as long as you have recommended, I can totally see where you coming from its just with a full pass it might not be worth it?

Looking at a rail map here it looks like we will have to pass Zagreb anyway, and Ljubijana on the way there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

turgon wrote: »
    So valmont, do you think it would be better getting a 10 day in one month ticket rather than getting as 21 day global pass? We werent planning on staying in the one city as long as you have recommended, I can totally see where you coming from its just with a full pass it might not be worth it?

Looking at a rail map here it looks like we will have to pass Zagreb anyway, and Ljubijana on the way there too.

The first time I went inter-railing (06/07), they had the general 1 month pass travel-all-you-want in this time which was far better value than the current set up. You'll save time and money if you go for the 10 day in one month pass. I used this on my second trip and I used up the 10 days and then got the bus for the last two days of the trip and it still worked out cheaper than the monthly pass.

On an inter-railing trip, train journey's can get very tedious especially in the summer heat, I nearly collapsed from heat exhaustion twice travelling around Bosnia and Serbia.

Krakow is a great place, especially if you take one day to go to Auschwitz & Birkenau.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

Just looking at random pics of Germany there.

I wanna stay here instead of a hostel:D

Neuschwanstein.jpg

• Advertisement

Why, did someone ask you to go interrailling with them? :P

Where is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

You know if I were you I'd try to work in Sweden and Finland somehow! Just been to Finland last week and in Sweden at the moment. Great places!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 elnino-9

chek ou aerlingus deyv cheap flites 2 europe all summer probly start in gay paris den amsterdam berlin munich wien prague nd milan guna try catch an artctic monkeys gig while im in vienna!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 razzcocks

Hello!anyone whos been inter railin before,generally speakin what would it cost for a 3 week journey, on average??just lookin for some sort of ballpark figure!:D

This is the basic plan, what does everyone think?

Fly to Paris for 3 nights
    First day of interrailing ticket get the high speed to Marseilles for 1 night
    Nice and Monaco - 3 nights (Monaco as day trip).
    6 nights between Turin, Milan, (maybe Padua) and Venice.
    A night in Ljubljana (capital, Slovenia)
    2 nights in Zagreb (capital, Croatia)
    2 nights in Budapest (capital, Hungary)
    2 nights in Bratislava (capital, Slovakia)
    2 nights in Vienna (capital, Austria)
    2 nights in Prague (capital, Czech Republic)
    Last day of train ticket head to Berlin. Leave in 3 days or so.

I like the eight capital cities in a row, dont know if we have time for all those?? Or is staying mainly in cities bad???

If we had to much time early on the plan would be an extra day in Prague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

turgon wrote: »
    Hey, me and 3 friends are planning

3 friends and I?:P

Bratislava eh?

3 friends and I?

It only took you 4 weeks to realize that :p
    Bratislava eh?

Cheap Americans should have used the train ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 krochford

Neuschwanstein.jpg

ya the Schloss Neuschwanstein, myself and some friends are going interrailing and we plan to get this in.
    plan of attack is
    fly into venice spend the day there train to lake garda that evening a day or two there night train to munich from verona then get the train out to the place above and back. from munich to vienna or bratislava or both then prague then berlin for 4 or 5 days where we will meet the friend who went able to interrail then home

Advertisement