Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is halo 3 famous?

• 17-03-2009 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I think that Halo 1 and 2 are a lot better than Halo 3. Why is Halo 3 more famous?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Marketing hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

eh, it's the newest and first on the 360?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Big push from Microsoft & Bungie. Used in professional gaming tournaments (MLG, World Cyber Games, etc) at a time when this niche is getting more attention.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

It's called exposure overkill

I thought all 3 Halo games were a pile of crap but felt I had to play them in case I was missing out on something. A bit like Lost, you'll watch it even though you know its rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Excellent marketing with bottomless pockets. If the Halo franchise was multi-platform it wouldn't have been half as successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Pure bull, the halo series has an truly excellent background story with rich characters. The games themselves have excellent graphics, amazing soundtracks, simple yet enjoyable gameplay, brilliant multiplayer options and the backing of the console manufacturer.

Lots of games have all the things you've listed and aren't nearly as popular. If you take out the part I have bolded it would be in the same pile as those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

rizzla wrote: »
    Excellent marketing with bottomless pockets. If the Halo franchise was multi-platform it wouldn't have been half as successful.

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

smooch71 wrote: »
    It's called exposure overkill

I thought all 3 Halo games were a pile of crap but felt I had to play them in case I was missing out on something. A bit like Lost, you'll watch it even though you know its rubbish.
    i would use this analogy except substitute lost for a show that is actually ****e like fair city.

actually no wait that's an insult to fair city.

hmm i'll be back with a ****ter show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

i would use this analogy except substitute lost for a show that is actually ****e like fair city.

actually no wait that's an insult to fair city.

hmm i'll be back with a ****ter show.

Glenroe..:D

I loved the first 2 Halo games, I got the third one simply because i wanted to know the rest of the story and hoped it would be as good as the others. i personally didnt think it was, although it was still a decent game. I think a lot of its success is based in its great online gameplay and the fact that its part of a series so people will always want to follow through..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's the same reason people like coldplay and voted for hitler.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's an ok game, but it's not as good as it's made out to be. However, it's fun on multiplayer, esp when you start playing around with the map settings (all Gravity Hammers and Rocket Launchers and weird gravity is a great laugh).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The Halo games are way over hyped but they are not bad games.

Reasons I like Halo 3:
    Its a well made game. Cant remember any bugs at all in it. Decent graphics, good score. Controls are solid.
    Enemy AI has always been decent in Halo games, didn't stand out as much as the original Halo though.
    Improved on the level design compared to the end of the original Halo.
    Vehicles are fun.
    An amazing game for a LAN, the multiplayer campaign is great fun and the amount of customisation available is great for some PoP action.
    Oh I like the 2 weapons thing also

Reasons I dislike Halo 3:
    Story, personally think its **** and never got into it in any of the Halo games. Leaves one feeling a little detached.
    Not a huge fan of ranked games on Live either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

The single-player is average but it has great multiplayer. It's easy to get the hang off, the ranking systems usually pits you against people of similar skill and Bungie are constantly updating and tweaking the playlists so it stays fresh. And there is a huge amount of game-types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Vegeta wrote: »
    Its a well made game. Cant remember any bugs at all in it. Decent graphics, good score. Controls are solid.
    major bug in it that when it's installed on the hard drive it actually preforms worse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not their fault really. It was made well before the hard disk install and it performs worse because it was caching on to the hard disk in the first place to improve loading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Deep Breath

whatever you think of the story, the production values and the 4 player FPS with fantastic Vehicle sections spread across huge detailed environments against some of the best AI in the business has to do it for you on at least some level.

If that Doesn't then the painstakingly produced back-story coming to a climax might do it for you.

Maybe that doesn't? How about forge ? It was Little Big Planet for FPS before they made it for platforms. Huge developer support for these community made levels + game types.

How about an outstanding game engine that runs without a blip, a game engine that while may not have the polish that the likes of gears has, performs as a living breathing hazardas environment ( as anyone whose ever been killed by a flying Cone will testify too).

How about probably the best online multiplayer modes available to man ? sure allot depends on who your playing with and because most of them are American there going to cheat, but a good game of Halo online imo is better then anything else you iv played. Getting a double no scope kill on team snipers yesterday was better then and COD or Killzone if played the day before.

That would be enough (for me anyway) but no its not enough for bungie,they monitor the playlists and change them if not weekly then monthly.

You have a stats filled website that goes beyond the anything iv seen before. Heat maps ,kills maps, Maps with any screen shots taking from the game - all at the click of a mouse. Videos, montages, machima, competitions , its forth round of DLC maps. 2 they gave away free. New achievements.

Sick of FPS?
    Rocket Race.Grift Ball. Grenade Volley Ball. Storm the beach.

Its the only FPS console game I believe that requires real skill in the form of Lateral thinking , how else could there be professional athletes who play Halo for a living, these guys aren't just good gamers there professionals who can shell out the goods regularly.

This level of game play and ingenuity supported by a major corporation that could have just flung out a run of the mill sequel.....its a miracle. Like Turning air into Gold.

Halo 3 is like turning air into gold.

Just my pretentious opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

I still think it's crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

major bug in it that when it's installed on the hard drive it actually preforms worse.

That straw you snatched at was just outside your grasp :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pure bull, the halo series has an truly excellent background story with rich characters. The games themselves have excellent graphics, amazing soundtracks, simple yet enjoyable gameplay, brilliant multiplayer options and the backing of the console manufacturer.
    You broke my sarcasm detector, due to the overload of possible sarcasm!

Can you play 32 player DM in H3 yet?
    RAIN wrote: »
    how else could there be professional athletes who play Halo for a living
    They make lots of money. It all comes down to that. Not how well they play, it's how much money they can make from it.

But they cant make money unless they beat people.........they have to be good to beat people.............otherwise to be a professional Halo player i just need to want to make money .........thats a good point you made.Well thought out.

Hows you sarcasm detector now ?

What other Pro sports does your theory work for ????? I like olympic curling? and i want money ?? Am i a pro ?

• Advertisement

RAIN wrote: »
    If that Doesn't then the painstakingly produced back-story coming to a climax might do it for you.

You mean the same storyline as space invaders with added delusions of pretention. Halo 1 it was decent. After that it was a total mess.
    RAIN wrote:
    Maybe that doesn't? How about forge ? It was Little Big Planet for FPS before they made it for platforms. Huge developer support for these community made levels + game types.

You mean that sad excuse for a level editor? Games from the last generation of consoles and since Doom on hte PC gave players access to full intuitive level editing tools. Comparing forge which lets you change around weapons placement and spawn points to a full level editor like little big planet is silly.
    RAIN wrote:
    How about an outstanding game engine that runs without a blip, a game engine that while may not have the polish that the likes of gears has, performs as a living breathing hazardas environment ( as anyone whose ever been killed by a flying Cone will testify too).

A game engine that runs at near SD resolutions and doesn't look all that impressive in all honesty.
    RAIN wrote:
    How about probably the best online multiplayer modes available to man ? sure allot depends on who your playing with and because most of them are American there going to cheat, but a good game of Halo online imo is better then anything else you iv played. Getting a double no scope kill on team snipers yesterday was better then and COD or Killzone if played the day before.

I'll give you one thing. 4 players playing over live on one console is excellent and it's a disgrace that more games don't have it. While multiplayer is fun I feel it's outclassed by much better games. Was at a lan yesterday and we didn't play Halo. We played the Steam games and CoD 4 because quite frankly they are better.
    RAIN wrote:
    Its the only FPS console game I believe that requires real skill in the form of Lateral thinking

Go play Quake and Unreal tournament for a real skill based FPS
    RAIN wrote:
    how else could there be professional athletes who play Halo for a living, these guys aren't just good gamers there professionals who can shell out the goods regularly.

Athletes is a bit much. Saddo's that play the same game hours on end more like. Bet they get all the girls.
    RAIN wrote:
    This level of game play and ingenuity supported by a major corporation that could have just flung out a run of the mill sequel
    Halo 3 is like turning air into gold.

It was a run of the mill sequel. It was a rehash of Halo 2 with the Flood cut out (other than those two woeful levels). It added nothing new to the formula.

GamePro
    It's solid gameplay, immense replayability, online functionality and incredible production values will ensure its place in video game history, and it is, without a doubt, a satisfying and fulfilling close to the beloved trilogy[?].

GameSpy
    The Forge is a gargantuan achievement that puts game design in the hands of players, daring you to be creative and invent a Halo 3 multiplayer experience all your own. Of course, the multiplayer is every bit as astonishing as it has been in past iterations and even eclipses its predecessors in many respects.

EuroGamer
    The best game yet in one of the best FPS franchises of the era. Better than either of its predecessors, Halo 3 still can't quite escape the category of flawed masterpiece - but this time around, the flaws are so minor that even the most churlish of reviewers would be hard pressed to mark the game down.

Games Radar (in-house)
    The single player is bigger and brawnier than anything that's been attempted on a console before. The multiplayer, which already shadowed the competition, has improved to the point of ridiculousness. The new features - Forge, Saved Films, Coop - are frighteningly addictive. And if you don't like any of that, you're always welcome to edit it until you do.

1UP
    It's hard to imagine a feature of this game that someone won't love... Sure, no one aspect of the game is life-changing on its own, but perhaps the package as a whole is. After all, Halo 3 has enough content to keep you stuck to your controller for weeks, if not months or even years.

VideoGamer
    Halo 3 transcends video games. It is a global entertainment experience. Just as "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" and "Spiderman 3" brought to a close two of the most lucrative and epic film trilogies of all time, Halo 3 brings to a close perhaps the most complete, engaging and downright fun video game trilogy of all time. There is absolutely no way any Halo fan will be disappointed by this game.

GameTap
    It's well-tested, well-honed, and polished--all qualities you'd expect from Bungie, but the developer's talented and hard-working team shouldn't be taken for granted. Halo 3 may look OK and play similarly, but it will stand in the top echelon of Xbox 360 games for years.

G4 TV
    The maps are all well-designed, the equipment adds strategic elements to matches, and the creative powers granted to players are unrivaled, at least for a console game. Add to the recipe that unmistakable Bungie polish, and you have a Multiplayer experience that will be enjoyed for thousands of gamers for years to come.

Gaming Age
    It's a fight worth finishing so if you haven't already, get out there and do just that.

AceGamez
    My mind is blown. Every level brings new and different scenery...and the scale of it makes "Halo 2" look both limited and amateur by comparison. I'm not exaggerating when I say that Halo 3 takes on "Half-Life 2" and wipes the floor with it.

Edge Magazine
    In substance it’s nothing new, merely a magnificent, beautiful monster of an FPS sequel. In concept and execution, though, Halo 3 is the future. [Nov 2007, p.80]

Gamestyle
    Halo 3 isn't perfect, but it's so close it's unnerving. There's very little to fault with this game, and the flaws that are there are almost completely overshadowed by the overall quality and incredible amount of content and features.

ZTGameDomain
    What it does do is take a great game with superb gameplay and improve upon it in every way imaginable. You will also not find a more complete package for your money this year.

Thunderbolt
    Halo 3 may not be as innovative as its predecessors or have the best graphics on the Xbox 360, but it’s an outstanding game and a fitting end to what’s been a fantastic trilogy.

Official Xbox Magazine
    This 10 is based on the fact that Bungie has successfully raied the level of what to expect in future shooters and how much stuff you can cram into one game with a high level of polish and expertise--and not as an afterthought or as padding. [Nov 2007, p.50]

The Onion (A.V. Club)
    Still, judging a game like Halo 3 on the single-player campaign is like taking a movie to task for its opening credits. Halo 3's multiplayer is its reason for existence.

Hardcore Gamer Magazine
    Halo 3 is the combination of a thoroughly decent singleplayer campaign, a great multiplayer component, and absolutely incredible enhancements to each. [Nov 2007, p.52]

GameShark
    This is truly the perfect way for Bungie to close out the trilogy. With its fun, if a bit short single player story, four-player online cooperative support, tight multiplayer gameplay and unmatched customization options, Halo 3 lives up to the unprecedented hype.

GotNext
    Playing around with all this just might make you realize that while the individual components of Halo 3 aren't all top class, the sheer number of them offers more game hours of solid enjoyment than nearly anything else on the market, for any console.

Said Sado's have there own show on espn and also sky sports - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AU46npOcgs

The engine is a matter of opinion and mine is that what it does blows the likes of Gears of War out of the water. That game is basically an on rails cut scene. Halo 3s engine is still producing new things people haven't seen before 2 years after it was released.

Forge mode is more then a level Editor im not even going to go there. Edge Magazine Called Halo 3 a platform onto its own a few months back when CliffyB made the same statement about Gears 2 and got laughed at .

Its one thing to say its not to your Taste but to dismiss its accomplishments on such basis is like turning air into ass juice.

edit im addressing everyone not just retrogamer on the ass Juice thing.

ASS JUICE !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Halo 3 online is a lot of fun, it would be lying to say otherwise. There are a lot of things that happen in Halo that could only happen in Halo because of the particular way that world works.

Shields, duel yielding, grenades, oddly high jumps and falling long distances without getting hurt and lots of medals with vehicles that don't feel like they were thrown in for effect all come together to make it a unique online experience where people want to get double and triple kills or skyjack a banshee or whatever. There are lots of things like this combine with good levels for this attributes that make it a great online experience.

The single player is average or a little above average. I do not like the story. I prefer Half Life and would still rank Team Fortress 2 as a more fun multiplayer game.

Halo lacks things but it has a lot going for its multiplayer that can't be found elsewhere. One of the biggest things going for it is simply the number of people online at once and the number of other people you probably know that play it so you can actually talk about it with other people or go around to someones house and have a game. Not many games you can do that with TBH. It is especially fun with two people on one console if you win a game with other poor team mates that don't pull their weight.

One thing that did always annoy me is that there is fook all team work in the team games except by clans so it ends up that if you come up against a clan your screwed and if not then you can sometimes counteract poor team mates which gives you that sense of achievement (before you realise it was just a game of Halo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You mean the same storyline as space invaders with added delusions of pretention. Halo 1 it was decent. After that it was a total mess.

A game engine that runs at near SD resolutions and doesn't look all that impressive in all honesty.

moyutgq1zeffczi0hyqt.jpg

4k6d26w532tttidoy1vg.jpg

uetes6eeeaal9pgo8y5.jpg

Yep, certainly doesnt look any good, at all.

And all those books and graphic novels written about the Halo story/universe are all obviously just **** that i dreamt of and the story is in fact just 'aliens are attacking you must kill them for no reason' a la space invaders.

On the graphics argument, it has always been my opinion that Halo looked great in SD as the graphics are all suited to lower resolutions because they are quite simple looking textures. Most things are metal and quite large in the world so it makes little sense to up the resolution to show higher levels of detail that just aren't there.

I would prefer if it had better graphics but it doesn't. I don't really believe it hurts the gameplay at all though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Halo LAN Parties FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/8-Halo-3

^sums up the negative opinoins quite nicely.

Personally i love the game purely for the 2 player co-op story mode. 1 player does feel like a chore.

One thing that I'm not sure has been sad so far is it is more accessible than a lot of others games.

Anyone can play it and it is relatively cheap to get a console and game going so people are more inclined to give it a go after seeing the marketing.

0ubliette wrote: »
    Yep, certainly doesnt look any good, at all.

[Troll]N64 textures[/quote]

I've seem much better looking games this generation.
    0ubliette wrote:
    And all those books and graphic novels written about the Halo story/universe are all obviously just **** that i dreamt of and the story is in fact just 'aliens are attacking you must kill them for no reason' a la space invaders.

Yes they are ****. It's b-movie rubbish that doesn't do itself any favours by being badly written and taking itself far too seriously. Saying that I did think Halo 1 had a nice simple storyline but it tried to vanish up it's own arse in Halo2 and ever since it's been laughable.
    Story wise is was a complete mess? Using your logic pretty much every game has a crappy story. Half-life 2 aliens invade earth, a single hero rises up against the aliens. Havent heard that a million times before. Resident evil series, big evil corpation uses general public as a test bed. Again that has been done a hundred times in cheesy sci-fi films. COD1+2+3, generic ww2 battles played over and over again. I could go on but I wont. Coming from somebody who has a name like retrogamer you should know that the majority of older games have terrible rehashed storyline.

My main problem is that Halo is a generic save the world story line that's been done to death yet it thinks it's something really clever, near artisitic and doesn't let up with delusions of pretentiousness. It's no Silent Hill 2 or Shadow of the Colossus thats for sure but it seems to think it's right up there.

Half-life 2 may be about aliens coming to earth but it's done in a very clever way that allows it uses very original settings for it's games. We haven't seen a setting for a gmae like Half-life 1 and 2 but we have seen super marine saving generic sci-fi universe countless times.

Resident Evils storyline is utter tripe but what saves it is that it knows it's tripe. It's B-movie nonsense but it's also a loving celebration of B-movie nonsense with a touch of gory anime thrown in.

Call of Duty isn't about the story, it's about the spectacle.

I cold also take a swipe at Gears of Wars attempts at some maturity in Gears of War 2 but i have to say it was a resounding success and delivered on of the most surprisingly emotional scenes from any videogame.

The thing is these games know what they are and don't try to be something they aren't and fail miserably at it.
    LIGHTNING wrote:
    (PS that wasnt a personal dig at yourself, I love older games and I have a pretty impressive old console collection)

Don't worry, none of it's taken personally, I'm here to discuss. Excpet about the pro gamers, I just don't get that :)

Contrary to popular belief I don't hate Halo, well maybe Halo 2 because it was an awful single player experience. Halo 1 was a great game. Halo 3 was a return to form but far from the perfect 10/10 game that some people will have you believe.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Half-life 2 may be about aliens coming to earth but it's done in a very clever way that allows it uses very original settings for it's games. We haven't seen a setting for a gmae like Half-life 1 and 2 but we have seen super marine saving generic sci-fi universe countless times.

Resident Evils storyline is utter tripe but what saves it is that it knows it's tripe. It's B-movie nonsense but it's also a loving celebration of B-movie nonsense with a touch of gory anime thrown in.

Agree with all the above.
    Call of Duty isn't about the story, it's about the spectacle.

I cold also take a swipe at Gears of Wars attempts at some maturity in Gears of War 2 but i have to say it was a resounding success and delivered on of the most surprisingly emotional scenes from any videogame.

Disagree here. I think Halo is really just about the online. They have a story but they know it doesn't matter really they do. Just look at the story in Halo 3 and the detail spent on the faces of the human characters. Its very, this isn't where our focus is and the online is the exact opposite. They knew the success of the game is its online and despite everyone going on about how great Xbox Live is online, what most people really mean is Halo as a lot of other games online is just as good on PS3 and usually surpassed if the game comes out on Pc.

Contrary to popular belief I don't hate Halo, well maybe Halo 2 because it was an awful single player experience. Halo 1 was a great game. Halo 3 was a return to form but far from the perfect 10/10 game that some people will have you believe.

I didn't like any of the Halo's story lines TBH. It is all generic and Starship troopers did a much better job. :P

My personal gripe is in the ZP review. The Flood shouldn't be there, it is completely out of place with the rest of the game IMO. The Driving sections are appalling too. The AI can't drive or shoot and it was clearly designed to be a co-op experience but it is the story, it should be able to be played alone as I don't want to play it with other people, I want to enjoy the story on my own as if I were reading a book. Its trying to make up for how boring it is IMO by letting you look for skulls with your friends.

Advertisement