Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is halo 3 famous?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Never like the Halo games at all, feels quite childish to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Um Halo is not - and never was - about a great story. And graphically it's been surpassed too.

It's about a fun, accessible and varied multiplayer.

As for it being childish well you can level that criticism at a lot of computer games e.g. Gears of War II has macho marines running around with no helmets telling each other how hard they are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Pure bull, the halo series has an truly excellent background story with rich characters. The games themselves have excellent graphics, amazing soundtracks, simple yet enjoyable gameplay, brilliant multiplayer options and the backing of the console manufacturer.

The master chief (not to mention the rests of the spartan 2 and 3`s) are up their with the all time great video game characters (not my words but gamespy`s but I agree with them).
    Hmm, while i agree with some of what you say, i'd have to say you (and gamespy) are so wrong here. There's no way master chief is one of the all time great characters in gaming. He's a pretty generic 'save the world' supersoldier. Now i really enjoyed halo 3, and i didn't even play multiplayer. But i could easily name a load of characters who are way more believable, realistic, etc... then the chief. I will give bungie some extra credits for making a brilliant soundtrack. Halo 1 and 3 had great music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    You really need the books to get all the the info in regard to the entire spartan project. It really helps and it shows just how much they had to sacrifice. The books also show the human side to each of the spartan soldiers.With any luck maybe in the future we will see more halo games where you play some of the other spartan soldiers and it will expand the story a little more.

How do the books and the Halo universe in general have anything to do with how the Halo games portray Master Chief? Fair enough, they expand on the mythology of that universe, but that has nothing to do with the Halo games, and how Master Chief is depicted in them.

Personally, I enjoyed the Halo games, having completed all of them on Legendary, played some online matches etc. IMO they don't deserve the level of praise they got when they were released. All of them are solid 7/10 games, except 2 which is probably 6/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

When Mega Drive games came out most offered no backstory apart from the half a page in the instruction booklet and that was your backstory.Most people favorite game charecters came from back then. Same with Halo's novels there all part of the story.

Latest issue of Edge gives Halo 3 number 9 in the top 100 games ever.

Ico and Shadow the colossus arent even in the top 20.

see the full top ten below.

Ocarina of time is number -1st
    super mario 64 -2nd
    half life 2 -3rd
    resi 4 -4th
    zelda link to the past -5th
    super mario world -6th
    tetris -7th
    supermario galaxy 8th
    Halo 3 - 9th
    Yoshis Island - 10th

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RAIN wrote: »
    When Mega Drive games came out most offered no backstory apart from the half a page in the instruction booklet and that was your backstory.Most people favorite game charecters came from back then. Same with Halo's novels there all part of the story.

Latest issue of Edge gives Halo 3 number 9 in the top 100 games ever.

Ico and Shadow the colossus arent even in the top 20.

see the full top ten below.

Ocarina of time is number -1st
    super mario 64 -2nd
    half life 2 -3rd
    resi 4 -4th
    zelda link to the past -5th
    super mario world -6th
    tetris -7th
    supermario galaxy 8th
    Halo 3 - 9th
    Yoshis Island - 10th

So what. It's Edge's opinion who have stubbornly stood by their fanboyism of Halo. It's not the opinion of everyone. They are also the same publication that gave Gunstar Heroes 6/10 so they aren't infallible and it just goes to show that peoples opinions differ. Eurogamer gave Halo 3 10/10 but even when their top 100 of the year came out most of eurogamers own contributers and writers were pretty amazed that the game got 10/10 and said that it should have been marked lower.

hey your preaching to the choir i know reviewers are mostly ful of crap,its also getting to the stage where the only way you can enjoy a game spoiler or opinion free is to avoid game journos completly. i only put the list there so people could see the company it was keeping in the top ten.

Edge also gave fallout 3 7/10 but they seem to only give high scores to games that bring gaming forward,i agree with them on Halo 3 i think its pushed things forward and as a series it always has.

on another point, Forge is alot more then level editor that lets you change gun position and weapon types. there are template levels that let you build huge levels out of supplied building blocks,there has been full mario cart tracks replicated,pac man levels made,pong, you can create your own game types ,you can create your own physiques for the game the amout of players involved the amo limits,the vehicles involved,the amount of shields attached too both and it can all be done in co op or you can just play the level editor live with up to 30 people either creating machima,new maps,building a giant robot,or just running around killing each other. just look at you tube for what forge is capable of,and for anyone who isent impressed by the games engine you should take a minute to look at the halo mythbuster series to see what its capable of.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

But Forge is not new. There have been better game/level mod tools available for years to those of us who play PC games. I was making Quake Levels 12 years ago.

They just happened to put it onto a console, so it's new to that format. However, to say that it's moving things forward is a bit of an over-statement. It's merely brought the console FPS genre within spitting distance of it's PC counter-part and it will never be a better platform for FPS games, just a more popular one.

I'm not trying to get into a Console vs PC argument, I'm simply stating facts. I play a lot of FPS' now on my 360 (Halo 3 included) mostly cause I don't have the financial clout to keep my PC "bleeding edge" to play these sorts of games as the developers intended :)

but its no just the level editor tool that im spouting on about its the co op and comunity enviorment that the game puts you in to use these tools. Im aware pc has had these tools for years but its the implementation that counts,halo 3 did it with full support on xbox live as well as bungie.net and pushed the content in game and out. makes it available to play ingame an out , you can download content directly to your xbox via bungie.net. and its console based so the masses who dont have the pc gamer clout that others have had for years,it hands it to you on yummy plate smothered in that ice cream with the bits of iceburger mashed into it.

I feel im wasting my time trying to push my views on the game down people knecks,in alot of ways im like the pope except instead of condoms to a people riddled with aids its spartan lazers and halo montages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

RAIN wrote: »
    I feel im wasting my time trying to push my views on the game down people knecks,in alot of ways im like the pope except instead of condoms to a people riddled with aids its spartan lazers and halo montages.

You're not wasting your time, it's your opinion and you're entilted to it. As are those who think Halo is overrated and shallow. I happen to be one of them and nothing you say is going to change my view. But if you love it then great!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Farcry Instincts had a better level editor, and that was on Xbox.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Farcry Instincts had a better level editor, and that was on Xbox.
    True, but lets never mention it again. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 declanx

With 3 years between Halo 2 and 3 people expected more. Liked all 3 games, but the story line mumbled away in Halo 3 like a ZanuFF election promise. Online drives me nuts with all the jumping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

There is a lot of great things about halo 3 that makes it a great game. Its not the fact that there is a level editor its the way it was implemented for example a player makes a map uploads it onto there fileshare recommends it to all there friends they then download a simple 50kb file and voila they can play there friends map.

But wait theres more we also have a theater which we can view our games and make film clips and put them on our fileshare and reccommend to friends. Also with our screen shots we can now post our maps we have made on a website with a link to our fileshare on bungie.net which can then be downloaded onto our xbox.

Halo has always been about going clutch and the feeling of destroying your opponents and after doing this we can then watch it in the theater over and over and relive this clutch moment.

Don't get me wrong halo 3 is far from perfect and i enjoyed halo 2 multiplayer more and still do but the fact is nobody plays it. They ruined the br in halo 3 and put in a ridiculous starting weapon with the assault rifle which just turns everyone in melee monsters and then we have the ridiculous melee system which allows 2 people to simultaneously beat each other down and the assualt rifle basically encourages this. Also the map designs are terrible compared to its predecessors which don't encourage competetive gameplay at all but luckily thanks to forge our good friends at mlg can make them pretty competitive basically i can't stand any other playlist apart from mlg and the odd bit of team snipers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Halo 3 is one of my most regulary played games on my xbox.

Couldn't care a jot for forge, and have never used it.
    SP whilst having some great setpieces was in the end dissapointing and didn't bookend the series.

What really sets it apart is the multiplayer. I've yet to see as polished a piece of work (on a console.) Great playlists that are constantly updated. Probably best ranking and skill system on any game I've seen, which rewards skill as well as experiece, so you simply can't gring out ranks (Hello COD4.)
    Accessable to newbies as well as having a depth of play that grows. Saved replays/movies and screenshots.

But what sets it apart from of the majority of other online shooters is that its still fun!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

A-Trak wrote: »
    But what sets it apart from of the majority of other online shooters is that its still fun!

^^^ THIS!

That's the be-all and end-all of the arguement tbh. A game that's that old and still being played by so many has to be doing something right. It's why people were playing QuakeWorld (and still do) for years, why they played Counter-Strike (and also still do).

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭ClayDavis

"I think Halo is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesn't afraid of anything."

Says it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

is it tho? I played online MP a handful of times and didn't take to it at all. Prolly cos I sucked! I tend to not play fps mp on the 360 generally tho.

4p LAN/splitscreen is awesome tho.

I <3 halo

kaimera wrote: »
    is it tho? I played online MP a handful of times and didn't take to it at all. Prolly cos I sucked! I tend to not play fps mp on the 360 generally tho.

I <3 halo

i would hope my 8000 games havent been wasted on a not so fun game :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

kaimera wrote: »

I <3 halo

I imagine that is why you didn't enjoy it. Most people enjoy it if they can do reasonably well.

I'm usually one of the best on my team but sometimes not. It is really frustrating when it doesn't go your way. Then it becomes one more game until I get a good result and then I can stop playing and go to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

thebman wrote: »
    I imagine that is why you didn't enjoy it. Most people enjoy it if they can do reasonably well.

I'm usually one of the best on my team but sometimes not. It is really frustrating when it doesn't go your way. Then it becomes one more game until I get a good result and then I can stop playing and go to bed.
    oh I agree but time to dedicate to it is something I don't have :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I quite liked the multiplayer part of Halo 2. I hated the singleplayer, but I had so much fun with my mates that I didn't care. But that lasted as long as it took for the next MP game to be released on a console. And I think this is why Halo 3 is currently thought of as being the best game ever: it was only released about a year and a half ago. Give it a little time and people will move onto the next big thing, be it Halo 4 or Hello Kitty Online Adventure: Deathmatch Pack. There will still be some who will continue to play Halo 3, but I say they'll be in the minority.

I can't see it ever having the long lasting appeal that Quake did. It'll be remembered but that will be about it.

humanji wrote: »
    Hello Kitty Online Adventure: Deathmatch Pack. .

I, for one, cannot wait for this to come out. :P

Also, Halo 3 MP bites the big one. Like a fncking kangaroo farm with a load of 13yo American sh1theads screaming "pwned n00bz....lulz" etc. bouncing around the place. 'Twould drive ya mad.

don't play with americans then, halo 3 will last until the next halo game comes out if it ever comes out fact.

End of the year then: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/halo3untitledodstgame/index.html (although it's a standalone expansion rather than a new game, but you get my point :D )

campaign extension with the same multiplayer

Well I'd imagine they'd tweak the multiplayer somewhat. They're including all the map packs, and they'd be insane not to at least try and increase the longevity with more than a few maps.

hence the term cmpaign extension they are not doing anything to the multiplayer except including all the new maps with odst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

So they say but I bet they'll do something. Bungie tweak the playlists regularly. They'll certainyl want to keep people interested in the expansion.

• Advertisement

they tweak the playlists at most once a month maybe once every two months not that much really. Apart from the double exp which is basically the same thing every few weeks

Advertisement