Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the best way to keep fridge running in Ferry

• 17-03-2009 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭

HI, do you leave fridge running on gas for a long Ferry crossing to France or leave it on battery.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

It wont work on battery with the engine switched off. It would drain the battery in no time so its wired not to work without the engine running. You would need to leave it running on gas. If the fridge is cold from running duringthe time you took to get to the ferry then it sould be okay to leave it off overnight. Unless you have something in there that really needs to be kept cold.

I just leave it off. Depending on the cabin you have booked there could be a fridge there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

The ferry companies insist on switching off all gas appliances. A few ice packs work grand for the shorter trips but not much use for the 18hr sailings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

If the fridge is well chilled before you depart, then leaving it turned off for 18hrs or so would not be a problem as the door of the fridge wont be opened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

You can hook up on the ferry, the crew loading the ferry are very helpful. Travelling on Irish Ferries I have always connected up, they have extension reels available if needed.

Corkbuoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Good one Corkbuoy,I didn't realise that irish ferries would do that for you.

On the overnight ferry last summer I had a load of old plastic bottles filled with water that I froze prior to the journey(don't fill them all the way to the top though;)) Think the fridge was colder the next morning than on hook up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

corkbuoy wrote: »
    You can hook up on the ferry, the crew loading the ferry are very helpful. Travelling on Irish Ferries I have always connected up, they have extension reels available if needed.

Corkbuoy

Thank you Corkbuoy, Do you know if Celtic Link provide this service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

Bessa

I have not travelled with Celtic yet but I believe hook is generally available on ferries, you just need to ask.

Corkbuoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Icepacks for me too, usually when travelling I use 4, at any one time 2 in the freezer and 2 defrosting in the fridge. Every day I then swap them around. For the ferry all 4 in an already cooled fridge would be more then enough. After all the door will be shut all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

Hi just came through Holyhead this afternoon, pulled over by HM customs who insisted on the gas being turned off there and then under his supervision. New van which has safety features ( gas does not need to be turned off ). But HM customs not having any of it. Other than that trip was brill.

Advertisement