Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidental fire - will I be evicted?

Options
  • 18-03-2009 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

I did something really stupid tonight. I put the oven on and left the house. The oven was only on low and I wasn't gone more than half an hour but when I got back there were two fire engines pulling up outside. Turns out I'd left a hob on without realising and something caught fire.

Now luckily no-one was hurt and there wasn't even a lot of damage done to the flat. The only damage is in the area surrounding the oven. The presses above the oven are damaged, the wall behind it is scorched and the hob is completely ruined.

I have to ring the lanlord first thing in the morning. I'm worried about whether or not I'll get evicted. Is it likely? On one hand it was an accident and on the other hand there has been some damage. If the landlord does decide to evict me does he have to give me any notice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Id say you will have to pay for the damage, don't see why you should get booted out prob cost a grand or 2 maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

You'll possibly be paying for the fire brigade too, depending on where you live. Upwards of €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

wyndham wrote: »
    You'll possibly be paying for the fire brigade too, depending on where you live. Upwards of €500.

House insurance usually covers the cost of calling the fire brigade out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Deadzone

I did something really stupid tonight. I put the oven on and left the house. The oven was only on low and I wasn't gone more than half an hour but when I got back there were two fire engines pulling up outside. Turns out I'd left a hob on without realising and something caught fire.

Now luckily no-one was hurt and there wasn't even a lot of damage done to the flat. The only damage is in the area surrounding the oven. The presses above the oven are damaged, the wall behind it is scorched and the hob is completely ruined.

I have to ring the lanlord first thing in the morning. I'm worried about whether or not I'll get evicted. Is it likely? On one hand it was an accident and on the other hand there has been some damage. If the landlord does decide to evict me does he have to give me any notice?

XXXXXX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭UnderpantsGnome

I've spoken to my solicitor and the House Insurance will cover costs.

I just want to know if I'm likely to be asked to leave and if so, will I get any notice?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I just want to know if I'm likely to be asked to leave and if so, will I get any notice?

Terms of notice, as determined by the 2006 Residential Tenancies Act, will continue to apply. Exact term of notice, depends on how long you have been in the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Only if your landlord wants it to go through insurance. They may not if it will effect their future insurance costs.

Im sure you wont get kicked out if you pay for the fire and smoke damage. Accidents happen, and luckily noone was hurt.

Advertisement