Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switch mode power supply

• 18-03-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

anybody know what a switch mode power supply is and would it be suitable for xmas lights,model no is epa121da12.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

A switch mode power supply is one which uses a switching mechanism to enhance efficiency.
    The suitability for xmas lights will depend on the current and voltage rating. The voltage rating of the supply must match the rating for the lights and the supply current rating must be equal to or greater than that rating for the lights. Ensure proper protective fusing etc.

Just occurred to me that you may be thinking that this type of supply will provide switching the lights on/off. If so then you are mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 foley_b

thanks for the reply,i am trying to find a cheap replacement for a burnt out power supply and i had this but didn't know what was meant by switch mode.thanks again danjo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Maplin do a bunch of those SMPS's.
    Just aim to match the voltage and the polarity (on the socket).

• Registered Users Posts: 43 foley_b

I was thinking of browsing Maplins site!,I have loads of 12v supplies but the lights are 24v so I will have to buy one.thanks for your help

Advertisement