Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work in Christchurch/South island

Options
  • 18-03-2009 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Whats the work situation like in Christchurch at the moment?
    and whats the living like there?
    We`ve to make our minds up in the next 2 weeks where to settle for the next few months.
    Has anyone any other work recommendations for the South Island?
    We`re just looking for somewhere to spend the next few months and save some money to visit OZ on the way home.
    Christchurch seems like the easiest bet for accommodation and work though have to admit we weren't that impressed with it when we spent the night there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

can't really answer on the wrok situation... there's still jobs and in the wider scale of things, i only know two people who (friends of freinds) who've lost jobs, whereas i know heaps who've lost them back home.

as for work recommendations... what sort of areas you looking at working in? there's definitely jobs out there round here, i just started a second one on monday, but really depends what you're looking for.

why does chch seem the easiest option, if i can ask? ive never really been anywhere else, so i have absolutely nothing to compare it with in nz, just curious really.

as for life here, really depends what you're into. if you love the outdoors at all, then definitely the right place. if you love living in big cities... not so much. im living here over a year now and i absolutely love it. i spend most of my time surfing, hill walking, rock climbing, hanging at the beach and just generally chilling with mates. locals are mostly friendly, real relaxed atmosphere and yeah, i love it, it's a whole other pace of life over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mst

Thanks Crumble Foo
    I`m not really that picky on work, I did cleaning in Wellington.
    I guess I always think the big cities will be easiest to find work in so thats why I said that.
    I have to admit I don't know that much about Christchurch, tho from what you say it sounds pretty nice.
    I`ll probably give it a chance anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

well, chch isnt a big city. about 380,000 here... 1000 people more than wellington according to wiki. but yeah, just in the 5min walk between my work and the bus exchange, ive seen a few signs in windows looking for bar staff, waiting staff and chefs, so there's definitely work here. the more you get to know the people around here and stuff, the more jobs you tend to hear about, ive found, but yeah, there's definitely work. ive no idea how many people are applying for each of these jobs, but the fact they're still advertising in windows is a good thing, i reckon.

Advertisement