Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cow bellowing all day!

Options
  • 18-03-2009 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Ok i know this is going to sound ridiculously strange but since this morning (10am) ive heard a cow literally bellowing all day.
    I live in D15..blanchardstown area but there is farmland up around the ballycoolin direction and there is a herd of cattle out grazing recently. I have a little bit of an agricultural background and know that cattle dont make sounds unless perturbed/hungry etc and because its such an unusual noise to be hearing all day, im just wondering if the animal is distressed.
    I would have no problem understanding the dog/cat lingo if you want to call it that, but a cow...er...not sure to be honest.;)

Can anyone enlighten me if this is normal or should i take a trip up to the fields tomorrow? Sorry i know this sounds very strange but its just an unusual sound that caught my attention today.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

I'd take a walk up and check it out. Last summer I heard a horse neighing all morning so I followed the sound and found the horse, his leg was badly torn so I called the DSPCA and they sorted it. The cow might just be bellowing because it's ready to mate but I'd check it out to be on safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

gypsygirl wrote: »
    I'd take a walk up and check it out. Last summer I heard a horse neighing all morning so I followed the sound and found the horse, his leg was badly torn so I called the DSPCA and they sorted it. The cow might just be bellowing because it's ready to mate but I'd check it out to be on safe side.

Take a trip and go see, but sometimes cows can do this when their calf has been taken away. It's relatively rare that cattle would be left unattended though - that seems to happen to horses far more often.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I've heard that cows do that as well when they need to be milked as it may become painful (?). But then again I'm a city boy so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Also possible that it's calf is gone missing, any half decent farmer should be herding them every day so should be around to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

My Grandad had cows and its not a normal thing for them to do all day long, the will do it if they need milking, just had a calf, or one taken from them but it would be for a few hours not all day long well from what I can remember. :)

I would walk up and check just to be sure all is ok

• Advertisement

red menace wrote: »
    Also possible that it's calf is gone missing, any half decent farmer should be herding them every day so should be around to check.

Not neccesarily in this day and age.
    I would definitely check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

as strange/sad as it sounds they are usually mouch more agitated when the calf is taken from them too late (when they should be taken earlier0 we have cows in the field behind us and they will howl for weeks on end when the calfs are taken. it really does sound quiet upsetting. (im such a softie, yesterday one of the calfs was asleep when the rest of the herd moved onto the next field and they left him all on his own, i nearly drove dh mad to walk down the field to show him where they were gone!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

Red menace I agree. A decent farmer would be checking on his animals everyday.
    I was raised on a farm.
    It depends really on why that animal might be bellowing.....
    It might be a cow who's bulling ( ie ready to mate)
    A bull in the next field to a cow thats bulling.
    A cow who was suckling a calf for a while and now the calf has been removed.(weaned)
    An animal who hasnt been fed at its usual time.
    A cow who has just had a calf and the calf has been removed...(like a previous poster said the cow who was allowed suckle the calf for a longer period will be much more distressed when calf is removed and would bellow for the day)

Some cattle will bellow for a full day when calf is removed. It's sad. Poor dumb animals with no choice. I used to hate it when I was growing up.
    Let us know if you went down to look.

Advertisement