Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I went to the zoo today

• 18-03-2009 2:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

while most people went to town for paddies day myself and the gf went to the zoo. Great day for it, and my first real outing where i took over 10 pics! Most of them are taken through glass/fence tho, so its hard to get a nice shot.

Heres what i managed to salvage tho! Your input would be nice

might have gotten carried away with the post process :pac:

7 - this makes me sad

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Jon061

Wow!! that last one has alot of feeling to it. defo the best shot of them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

The Chimps/Apes always look so sad, I always think it's their extra intelligence and they feel imprisoned with the same mundane life they find everyday and the peering crowds at them.
    I will probs not set foot in a Zoo again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Some loveley images in there Red_Ice, i especially like the 6th, great angle.

I must say however i agree with AR on the Zoo, i know they do a lot of good work with breeding programmes and all that but the last time i was in a zoo i just found it hard to handle the way we were still reducing beautiful and proud creatures to something less than pets.

the fingerprints on this leopard's cage speak volumes to me.
    2366953162_e82381142e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

red_ice wrote: »

Yeah that one is pretty sad alright :(

I had the opportunity to go to Monkey World in Dorset (where the TV show is filmed) a few years ago and it was great to see all the animals there in really large enclosures.
    A concrete step in
    Dublin zoo isn't the place for a chimp to be :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

number 7 is a fantastic picture. it really is worth a thousand words! you should send it in for a photo competition.

the one with the cow is hilarous. well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭katzenjammer

keefg wrote: »
    Yeah that one is pretty sad alright :(

I had the opportunity to go to Monkey World in Dorset (where the TV show is filmed) a few years ago and it was great to see all the animals there in really large enclosures.
    A concrete step in
    Dublin zoo isn't the place for a chimp to be :(

On a happier note, the gorillas (#7 is a gorilla, right?) are getting a big new enclosure in Dublin Zoo! No more concrete hopefully :D

Lovely pics tho, I like that heron's aura of authority!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I love the blue tones in number 6

I think that the depressing grey and black colours, and concrete surroundings in 7, add to the picture and match his mood :( I love his little ray of light too. It's a pretty deep photo. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

not trying to be argumentative or cranky,

but i couldn't be bothered clicking numbers to see the pictures - i'm sure i'm not the only one?????

if ya want comments on the pictures maybe take the time to post them in the thread??????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

gorilla

moving image, conflicted.

well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

It is sad to see animals in these conditions, I had only seen a video on Circus cruelty in Ireland and most of the complaints they make can be aimed at most of Dublin Zoo too.

Some nice shots and one of the things I try to do when I got to the Zoo was to show the animals without the cages or railings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

It's been at least 20 years since I went to the zoo. I felt so sick looking at the elephant repeatedly moving from one leg to the other (reminiscent of the footage of the neglected Romanian babies that were shown years ago) that I haven't gone back. people have told me that it is different now, but I don't really believe that. Conserving species is noble, the rest is farce and cruel.

I have seen elephants in Zimbabwe in 1990 and the idea of them being locked up is abhorrent!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What have they got cows in Dublin Zoo for?????

That one of the gorilla does look like bad publicity for zoos alright, but the ones I saw in San Diego last week looked equally bored with their lot in life and I suspect their enclosure was about the same size as the whole of Dublin Zoo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fota Wildlife is a much better place to go both for viewing of animals and animal welfare.....much bigger spaces animals don't look so depressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

number 7 is excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

to re-emphasise what valentia has said - having been to africa and seen animals in their natural, uninhibited environment, one can never enjoy a zoo again.

many animals, particularly monkeys & apes, are social creatures like humans. there is a glaring difference in the demeanour of animals that are left free to roam open expanses amongst many of their own kind and those that are confined within a small space, either alone or within a small grouping.

nice photos though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

I think if you cropped the bottom off the 'Stalk' one, it'd look like you were under him/her and it would make a bigger impact!

Just my 2c!

Advertisement