Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Method of Madness

Options
  • 18-03-2009 3:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

So seem to be having slight success, with a newly employed strategy, and thought would post it here and see how it fares up. Out of 5 low stake, 180 man, SnG's , have placed 3 times, with a 1st and 2nd in there.

Basically, coming out at the start being passive, rarely raising, as the blinds are so low its nearly pointless. Instead a few times I have limped in out of position with AK, caught a K off the flop, and caught out some raiser with K? , as he has a hard time putting me on a better hand. try and build up a meagre stack in this manner.

Then later stages, about 60 man-ish, start having a pop at the odd blind, out of position, and hopefully by now you have created the image, "this guy never raises" , managed to steal 3 sets of blinds and antes with only mediocre hands, even with caller into the flop, and bet out, if they have not hit hard they will let it go.

As the bubble approaches, bet into medium stacks, as at this point of the game they dont want to jeopordise what should be an easy drift into the money. When the bubble passes, its time to go into tight aggressive mode, as most short stacks will go pushing with pretty much any Ace rag, and this is not ideal for you, as every weak call diminshes the image you have created. Also this is mostly coin flip poker, and as a good player removing the element of luck as much as possible is key, so raise-hit-raise.

Once the stragglers are gone, its time to open your game up again, maybe start raising in BB with mediocre, and limping with big hands out of position, or even on the BB. nothing like limping on the BB with AK.

From here your image should play out the rest, and hopefully get you a top 4 finish.

Comments????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

wayne.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Well done, now play ten more and see where you come. Also you play kinda horribilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

given that you have gotten fairly sh1te quality replies i will give a quick comment.

the strategy you describe is pretty substandard. if u play that way, over 5 stt's u might do ok, as u have done, over 100, u will lose, over 1000+ you will LOSE. playing 180's stts are MASSIVE varience, you have cashed 60% of the time, which is impressive, but even the best players in the world dont expect to cahs that often.

put your username into sharkscope.com and see what your ROI is (return on investment), im sure it will be pretty high after 5 games and 3 cashes. but compare yourself to the best in the business then.

congrats and your three cashes. but the style of play is not fantastic by any means. if you want to improve, go to twoplustwo and do a search for 180 man strategy, or posts by shaundeeb, a multi table pro. if ur happy with ur current style, good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Swazy911

Well I have been playifor quite some time, this is just a new type of play trying out, and I always use the officialpokerrankings.com site, as I play more than S'n'G's , but also larger multitables, and my ROI is 136% which is not great I know, but never claimed to be a supreme player. Just a new strategy.

Normally dont read strategy guides, enjoy developing my own as improves my own game through trial and error. But will give that one a quick read over.

Currently working on doing some more now, will update progress at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭shano_88

Swazy911 wrote: »
    Well I have been playifor quite some time, this is just a new type of play trying out, and I always use the officialpokerrankings.com site, as I play more than S'n'G's , but also larger multitables, and my ROI is 136% which is not great I know, but never claimed to be a supreme player. Just a new strategy.

Normally dont read strategy guides, enjoy developing my own as improves my own game through trial and error. But will give that one a quick read over.

Currently working on doing some more now, will update progress at the end of the day.
    :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Sn or it never happened.

"Sn or it never happened" ?? Dont understand, new to the boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

"Sn or it never happened" ?? Dont understand, new to the boards
    Sn=screenname
    i.e. your screenname on the poker site you play.

Same as it is here, and play Stars, link it as well, http://www.officialpokerrankings.com/pokerstars/swazy911/poker/results/49FDAC2173C94C2B9C323C001279ADA0.html?t=2

Now bear in mind, this account is used by my mum as well, as it is not exactly a multi-million $ account, in fact at currnet I think the bankroll is near $450 . So I am not meant to be taken seriously, I only play for fun and when I have time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I went 2,1,180 in consecutive 180 player Sit & Gos on 24/09/07.

http://www.officialpokerrankings.com/pokerstars/kincsem/poker/results/6511793E10874167B509C9B525917E44.html?t=2

Its just luck, unless you can replicate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

I think you should start by quitting your job and set up your own poker office. You'll need a good computer a couple of 30" screens, an ergonomic chair and a top quality surround sound system so you never miss another beep when it's your turn to act. You might think €20k is a big investment in a poker setup, but this is your future we're talking about and believe me it will pay dividends later.

Once you've got totally comfortable you should start the grind. Except that I feel "grind" is a really harsh term for someone with your obvious flair. In any case you'll be playing the highest stakes very soon, then you'll only need to play 10 SNGs a day to keep the bills paid and your mistresses in the latest fashion. You can put the rest towards your classic car collection.

If it wouldn't be too much to ask, could you get your valet to post a picture of the car collection once you do get it going? Just to let the rest of us live vicariously through you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I always use the officialpokerrankings.com site, as I play more than S'n'G's , but also larger multitables, and my ROI is 136%
    Same as it is here, and play Stars, link it as well, http://www.officialpokerrankings.com/pokerstars/swazy911/poker/results/49FDAC2173C94C2B9C323C001279ADA0.html?t=2

Now bear in mind, this account is used by my mum as well

Your mum wouldn't happen to be Jennifer Harman by any chance?

Obviously Mr sarcasm has entered the field up there, unfortunately, at poker, I go on terrible bouts of unluckiness. Today played about 4 tournies myself, and same style, although today when I was going in dominating was being sucked out on, twice I got AA, twice beat. But I am not moaning, thats poker. And my ROI is only high-ish, as during one of my better periods I placed in a large MTT for 1600, prob not much to you guys, but my largest cash thus far.

And I wish it was Harmen, that would be sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

although today when I was going in dominating was being sucked out on, twice I got AA, twice beat. But I am not moaning, thats poker.

Yeah that happens a lot when you do this......
    S
    Once the stragglers are gone, its time to open your game up again, maybe start raising in BB with mediocre, and limping with big hands out of position, or even on the BB.

I love this though.....

Swazy911 wrote:
    nothing like limping on the BB with AK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Well I for 1 are crazy for the swazy

Caught someone a moment ago with that very move, Limped mid position with AK, 2 callers, flop comes down AAA, start thinking, never getting paid here, put a small, please raise me, bet. And some guy thinks about then pushes all in, quick call reveals him with 44, and his chat goes crazy. Dumped out lol , with a quick word to him in the msg box...... NH dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭30something

FFS lads. Constructive criticism is deserved, not sarcasm.

We all started somewhere.

Swazy, they are trying to tell you that the sample size is about 1000 tourneys short of being able to offer you any advice. It feels great to go on a heater but you will really have to play a LOT MORE tourneys to see how the variance levels out before getting opinions on any strategy.

Do look up 2 plus 2 though for some really good strategy tips.

To be honest, I am not looking to make a career out of poker, its just something I do for FUN, you guys must remember fun, and not always worrying about boosting your bankroll??

Degree in maths means I love numbers, numbers are fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

[IMG]http://www.muchos.co.uk/members/dannydiamond/its time to stop posting.jpg[/IMG]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

According to sharkscope, you roi is 15% over 400 sit 'n' goes and you are currently on "super tilt", for someone with a degree in maths - i assume you appreciate that the higher the sample size taken the better the expected return is in the long. A good sample size would be ~ 1500 i'd say. the best in the business would love to have ~ 5% roi.

Also what sort of degree did you do - 4 years in college doin maths and all i see are letters and the greek alphabet. :)

Statistical analysis, and I appreciate the higher the sample size the more accurate the data, but I also play a few MTT's each day, and although normally dont make the big cash.

Well before go to bed, my final 2 tournies played this evening, MTT made the cash, but not great cash. And 180 S'n'G Final table 7th . So not a complete bust

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

To be honest, I am not looking to make a career out of poker, its just something I do for FUN, you guys must remember fun, and not always worrying about boosting your bankroll??

Fun = winning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

I actually play very similiar to you in MTTs and 30-man S&Gs, minus the limping with big hands of course. Otherwise it's a solid strategy for which I am only slightly down overall. ;) I'd link my sharkscope but it's blocked from work. I'll do it when I'm home.

The one thing to realise is that these MTTs with a S&G blind structure, like the 180-man games you're playing, will eventually degrade into poker bingo. :( My only hope is to have enough chips that it doesn't bother me when I get there. when I cash, it usually works out that way.

Advertisement