Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More boyz being born then girls

Options
  • 18-03-2009 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Just an observation here but has anyone else noticed that in the last few years there are alot more boyz being born then girls? I noticed it with my first lad nearly 5 years ago, the ward I was in in the UK there was 5 full 6 bed wards. Of all of those there was only 2 baby girls. Having had a second boy and seen realitives (three) in maternity wards have noticed this trend is still about. I wonder will this lead to a population reduction in their generation? Just some morning brain farts lol.

just saw this
    http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/06/22/why-are-more-boys-than-girls-being-born.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Yes, I have noticed this, and I think the stats prove it so its not just observation. If I ever get a minute I must look up the CSO and see what those stats are :)

Is it possible there is some evolutionary reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

I have four sisters and we all have kids. The last five babies born between us all have been girls.
    My eldest sister had two boys who are now 10 and 9 and then she had a girl.
    Then I had a girl. My other sister had a girl. Then my other sister had a girl.
    Then I had a girl.

Now two of us are pregant again.
    I wonder will we ever have a boy? The first two are sick of all the girls!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

MaleBirths.jpg

Here you go. Official CSO stats as per quarter since 1960. :)

As you can see apart from a spike of female births the last few years have been pretty typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Almost everyone i know who has given birth in the last two years has had a girl! I recently had a girl, my sister has four girls another sister has three girls and two of my friends are due to give birth to... you guessed it girls :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

While I was in having the boy, it was almost all boys on the wards - so much so that they ran out of blue blankets and my lad was given a pink one.. Good thing he's comfortable with his sexuality ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

nesf wrote: »
    MaleBirths.jpg

Here you go. Official CSO stats as per quarter since 1960. :)

As you can see apart from a spike of female births the last few years have been pretty typical.
    Cool, so the population is good for now lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Quackles wrote: »
    While I was in having the boy, it was almost all boys on the wards - so much so that they ran out of blue blankets and my lad was given a pink one.. Good thing he's comfortable with his sexuality ;)

Same thing happened to me! When family came in to visit they thought I was joking when I told them it was a boy. 4 sisters in Law have had 4 boys over the last 2/3 years and I have 2 boys too and I am expecting a third now so wonder if it will be a boy again?!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭fme

Hi all,
    I don't suppose those CSO figures can be broken out by profession.
    I'm convinced that if either (or both) of you work in IT that you are more likely to have a girl (I have 2 girls). Also thats the area most of my friends are in and most of them have had girls the last few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I work in IT and have 3 boys and 1 girl. A year ago, about 6 coworkers had kids, and they were all boys. So its not working near computers that are making the girl swimmers faster for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

My hubby works in IT and we have two boyz:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I have 7 sisters and 1 brother, we were born between 1964 and 1984. 3 of us have 2 boys each, another has 5 boys and 1 girl, 1 has a girl, 1 has a boy, 2 have 1 boy and 1 girl. Think that's right, I do get confused keeping track.

On hubby's side we have 2 boys, 1 of his sisters has 2 girls and his other sister had 1 boy and 1 girl.

When I lived in the UK a work colleague reckoned that throughout history there have been more males than females born and that it is nature's way of trying to compensate for all the males that get killed in war.

As a childminder up until now it's been mainly boys that I've minded, just the occasional girl over the years but recently I've had a number or enquires and all of them are baby girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Dublin Mama

I noticed the same thing! All my friends had boys in recent years...

I wonder!!!!!!!!Is it going to be a son or a daughter for me?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Well theres another boy on the way..

Mrs iggy due next fri :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

fme wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I don't suppose those CSO figures can be broken out by profession.
    I'm convinced that if either (or both) of you work in IT that you are more likely to have a girl (I have 2 girls). Also thats the area most of my friends are in and most of them have had girls the last few years...

Hubby and I both work in IT and have 2 boys.. I'm thinking your theory doesn't hold water :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭memo_to_all

My wifes cousin had a baby girl on thursday in the Coombe and told us that a nurse had mentioned to her that it was a really strange week...that it was virtually all girls born.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

Everything I have been seeing points to the idea that there are more girls than boys being born now, due to high amounts of artificial oestrogens in our environment. I myself am father to 2 girls and a boy, in a family that was traditionally nearly all boys.
    Where I originally come from in England, (East Midlands), there are roughly 3 female births to every boy, and on the singles dating scene, there are 5 women to every man.

Advertisement