Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing my own hedgways / trees from cuttings?

Options
  • 18-03-2009 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for advice from you greenfingered experts!

We're about to start a new build, in which we have to plant new site boundaries on 2 sides of our site.

Plants to be included are:-
    thorn
    beech
    oak
    hazel
    sycamore
    holly

In reality, I want to plant your normal garden hedge (sorry, I'm not good with plant names at all, but you know the ones that start off as little christmas tree type bushes, that eventually grow into each other & you then start trimming them like a solid hedge)
    & along one boundary, I would plant a few of the above named trees, probably about 4 in total, interspersed through the hedge.

Oh, & I'd like to plant 2 cherry blossom trees also, in the same manner.

Would anyone be able to tell me roughly what these type of plants typically cost in a garden centre?

I'm trying to figure out if a) it's possible, & b) if there's much of a saving to be made from growing these myself.

It will be a year before I'll be planting these on site, so I was wondering if that would be plenty of time to grow these plants in pots from cuttings for the year before they're planted on site.
    Or, how does one grow a bush / tree from scratch.

By the time you take compost time & effort etc into account, would there be much savings to be made?

The site is roughly 1 square acre, with 2 sides (& another small section) to be planted.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I'd quite like the experience of doing it, especially if it were to save me a decent sum of money.

Thanks,
    Chrissie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Zack21

Hiya :)

The hedge that looks like a christmas tree is called Leylandii. it's very fast growing plant which need to be cut sometimes 2 during the summer ha ha and thats why i hate the plant ha ha. But it's great if your looking for a nice box effect once you have it growing into each other.

Em most trees like Cherry blossoms are around 30 to 40 euro for a normal 6ft to 8ft tree. all trees that are around that hieght are about 30 to 40 euro. Saying that try and bargan with the business if you are buying alot off plants.

On that note as well most of the hedging will be gone in most areas cause it's finished until next november and if you where to try and buy some at the moment it might cost alot more. So id say you'd be better off to wait till next november when everything is bear root and cheaper to buy.

As far as growing stuff yourself id say your better off with getting all the stuff you need from a garden centre unless your willing to wait for some time to get everything growing in pots and then into the ground.

If you have a friend or family member with some of the plants and trees you need ask them if you can take cutting of them.

1) Cut them off the plant at around three quaters of a foot long.
    2) When cutting the plant cut it at an angle.
    3) Dip the plant slip into rooting powder.
    4) then plant it into a 2 litre pot.

If you have a green house to put the slips into you'll have more success.

Right im bored ha ha any other questions ask me later ha ha

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I have experimented somewhat with cuttings and I have found some will take off fine others will break your heart.

You ideally will have to place all your cuttings in pots and these will have to be left to grow on for around 2-3 years (kept fed and watered) after this some will be large enough to plant in the ground others won't. As well as this some will not survive.

Cuttings also have to be taken in summer for some plants in winter for others all these details of cultivation are available in most gardening books...

If you buy your hedging and trees in nurseries from November-feb you can get bareroot plants which will be more reasonably priced than pot grown and also good deals if buying a large amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Zack21

Yeah but Febuary is still a bit late for that?? you can still get them but id recomend November where every garden centre or Nursery would have them. By the time Feb comes alot of places could be low on the stock your looking for

Advertisement