Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Comic Shops Price War!! (sorta)

Options
  • 18-03-2009 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭

Probably not news to anyone in Dublin, but Sub-City have dropped the price of the standard $2.99 comic to €3.95, due to the sterling exchange rate. I found this out because I was in Forbidden Planet on at the weekend and two of the staff in there were talking about it. The conversation went like this:

"Oh, we've dropped the price of the €2.99 comic to €3.95."
    "How come?"
    "Cause Sub-City have done it and we thought "why not?""

I hope this is the start of the reductions, especially if FP's mentality is that they can afford to drop prices but choose not to!! If they (FP or Sub City)drop prices a bit more I might even start buying comics in the shops again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sammysteiger

have to buy in store, wouldn't trust any other way. Hav eto see it first. Toooo many online hicc-ups in the past. Find Sub City and Fplanet both alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

have to buy in store, wouldn't trust any other way. Hav eto see it first. Toooo many online hicc-ups in the past. Find Sub City and Fplanet both alright.

I mainly use ACE Comics on ebay, and I've had no problems with them since I started a year ago. Even with postage from the UK to Ireland, the average price works out at a little less than €3.00 a comic. That's with a mixture of $2.99 and $3.99 titles, and the very occasional $4.99 (e.g. Ruins, Thor #600). I don't get a massive amount of comics (about 15 a month), but I'm still saving at least €180 in a year by going on-line. I get my other comics (Amazing Spider-Man and my DCs) through subscription which works out cheaper again.

As for seeing it before I buy, so many previews are available these days, especially from Marvel, I can read a third of the issue for free (and legally) to help me make my mind up.

The only drawback I have is avoiding discussion threads and hoping I don't unintentionally come across spoilers while I wait for the comics to arrive.

(I've no affiliation with ACE or any other comics business)

call me weird but I like to check the quality of the comic and make sure it is in good condition. Also I actually enjoy browsing in a store, can't beat the smell of print :)

call me weird but I like to check the quality of the comic and make sure it is in good condition. Also I actually enjoy browsing in a store, can't beat the smell of print :)

Weirdo! :D

(I'm joking, I'm joking)

Forbidden Planet have dropped their prices again. A $2.99 title now costs €3.75, and first issues cost €1.99.

The first issue thing might only be a limited time offer (Sub City did the same thing for the month of May), but it got me to get 4 comics yesterday that I otherwise would have bought online or not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RAMAN

Picked up Streets of Gotham for 1.99 in the Planet and then saw it for 1.00 in Sub City, D'oh. But did manage to get a free copy of Dark Tower hard cover with one of Sub Citys deals. Hope they both keep up the pace.

RAMAN wrote: »
    Picked up Streets of Gotham for 1.99 in the Planet and then saw it for 1.00 in Sub City, D'oh. But did manage to get a free copy of Dark Tower hard cover with one of Sub Citys deals. Hope they both keep up the pace.

€1.00? What's all this? Tell us more! And what deals are they doing?

Planet seem to have all #1 at €1.99! not just streets of Gotham :) went to Dublin Thursday and got some comics , was very happy. Like that Dublin has more than one comic as I can browse but staff at Planet more helpful it seems.
    Like this price reduction fever
    Dublin Comic Con ago it seems also , have to start saving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Too bad these shops aren't dropping their prices for the really expensive pieces of work.:pac:

Advertisement