Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are ye hopeing for your teams in the draw on friday

• 18-03-2009 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I personally hope we get liverpool because knocking them out would effectively make up for the result last saturday and to those liverpool fans that think we have been exposed Although ye deserved to win the scoreline flattered ye. United domintated large parts of that match and Vidic and Evra had games they probably will never play as bad in again.

Other that Porto and Villareal are the pick of the teams everyone wants but they will probably play each other

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Much as I would love Liverpool to play and hopefully beat Utd again, the ideal draw I think for us seperated into draw halves is:

Porto v Liverpool
    Villareal v Bayern
    ==================
    Man Utd v Barca
    Chelsea v Arsenal

Edit to say that the way we play in Europe though I don't think we need fear anyone of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Porto for me. Liverpool would be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'd love Arsenal or Liverpool, dreading the thoughts of gettin Chelsea. Drogba and Essien back they're a different team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Liverpool fan. Here's what i want

Bayern - Liverpool
    Porto - Villareal
    Arsenal - Barcelona
    Man Utd - Chelsea

i have a feeling i may be right with 2 of those

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I'm a United fan and would like to get Liverpool in the draw. (What happened on Saturday was a 500-1 chance, it won't happen again!) I'm sure Platini and his mates will duly oblige as it seems UEFA (Platini especially) does not want to see English teams making it to the final

My prediction
    Man Utd v Liverpool
    Arsenal v Chelsea
    Porto v Barca
    Bayern v Villareal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want the team they rate the worst. It just makes no sense to me. Who cares about beating Liverpool? There are no prizes for that. I want to win the bloody cup!

I'd want the teams least in this order

Barca
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Bayern
    Villarael
    Porto

To be honest, if we avoid the top 3, I'll be happy.
    However since they also draw the semis here, I'll be extremely happy to be on a different side of the draw to just Barca. They are the team to beat. They are a team that truly terrifies me.

Ideally I'd like Liverpool to be on their side too because even though I think we're a better team, I think Liverpools style of play would be more effective against them.

Then again, a United Barca, Ronaldo Messi, would be a truly memorable final so maybe I'm being selfish, but **** it, I want to win it at any cost.

However considering in this year and the season before we've pretty much drawn the hardest draws we could possibly have drawn [and last season as we all saw, something funny is going on in those draws] , I doubt we'll be getting Porto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well said PHB, wanting a rival who you will not be a favorite to beat is pure silliness. As a Liverpool fan I'd take Dom's mock draw above. Porto now, and the winner of Bayern / Villareal next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

I think Bayern are a better team than Arsenal so I probably would prefer them out of those 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

To be the best you gotta beat the best. And going by Liverpools performance against Madrid, them and Barcelona are the teams to beat. Unless we get an extremely kind draw, we're going to have to beat one if not both of them to win the cup.

With that in mind, I'd LOVE IT if we got Liverpool. While a United-Liverpool final would be a great spectacle, I'd fancy our chances a lot more against Barca in the final. So getting Liverpool out of the way would be a huge boost.

The one team I really want to avoid though is Chelsea.

PHB wrote: »
    I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want the team they rate the worst. It just makes no sense to me. Who cares about beating Liverpool?

Is it such a big deal wanting this? I mean won't it be the same if the bigger teams defeat the so called lesser teams. I.e. if United meet and beat Porto, then the chances of meeting a Chelsea or Liverpool will increase greatly in the semis so what odds? Why point this out? Gotta beat the best to be he best.

Sure it would be nice to win all the remaining league games, get Porto, then Villareal or Bayern in the semis to reach the final as easily as possible (not underrating any of those now). But personally I'd like to get at Liverpool as quickly as possilbe if we are to meet them in the later stages. I'm sure Rooney, Vidic et al would feel the same. From an enjoyment and fans perspective, thats what its all about eh!

I think it would be great to get revenge on Liverpool as quickly as possible, and more likely to happen. Surely a team of Uniteds quality cannot be beaten by the Pool again so soon :D. It makes no odds really, other than it would bring them down to earth early and could possibly have an effect on their title challenge.

Either ways not that big a deal. Just giving some understanding to why people may want it to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

PHB wrote: »
    However considering in this year and the season before we've pretty much drawn the hardest draws we could possibly have drawn [and last season as we all saw, something funny is going on in those draws] , I doubt we'll be getting Porto.

Eh, didn't Utd get by far the easiest draw at the 1/4 final stage last year, with a route to the final that avoided the other 3 English teams.

OK there was Barcelona on your side of the draw, but they were considered a relatively soft draw last season, with the Rijkard/Ronaldinho era coming to a messy end.

Eh, didn't Utd get by far the easiest draw at the 1/4 final stage last year, with a route to the final that avoided the other 3 English teams

Ah that would explain the record of undefeated games in the CL...damn United always get it easy dont they :rolleyes:

Eh, didn't Utd get by far the easiest draw at the 1/4 final stage last year, with a route to the final that avoided the other 3 English teams.

OK there was Barcelona on your side of the draw, but they were considered a relatively soft draw last season, with the Rijkard/Ronaldinho era coming to a messy end.

No way was Roma the easiest draw. I would've rated them above Schalke, Arsenal and Fenerbahce when that draw was made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

As a Liverpool supporter I would like t get

Porto or Villareal

All the other teams will be hoping for the same.

I dont understand the whole get them out of the way nonsense. Keep Barcelona/chelsea and united at arms lenght as long as possible.

A Barcelona - Liverpool Final would be a dream
    Chelsea - Liverpool final would be nightmare

United have run out of luck so I cant see them in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Trilla wrote: »
    Ah that would explain the record of undefeated games in the CL...damn United always get it easy dont they :rolleyes:

Not trying to take anything away from their winning record, just a bit stunned at PHBs 'we never get an easy draw' and using last year as an example to back it up. In fairness Utd have a history of getting tricky draws, but last years draw of Roma, followed by winners of Schalke/Barca was a gift.

By the way, hoping for the easiest draw possible makes sense in every round. The whole 'I'd prefer to play the hard teams now rather than later' attitude is bordering on bizarre.

The whole 'I'd prefer to play the hard teams now rather than later' attitude is bordering on bizarre.

Not in Uniteds case re Liverpool, they'd be itching to repay them asap. Apart from that I agree. I'd hate to get Chelsea though, I consider them the toughest opponent and favourites for the CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

well, for liverpool i think the tougher the opposition on paper, the better chance we'll have.

if we draw porto or villareal its over for us, dont know why, just a feeling.
    so i'm personally hoping for barca or bayern maybe. i figure bayern will be a bit complacent after scoring so many against sporting.

tbh though, whoever wins the champions league, has to go through at least 1 english team. thats just the way it is. so weather its in the next round or the final, it has to be done.

I wonder what odds you'll get on a Chelsea-Liverpool semi final. The 4th in 5 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Porto or Villarreal will do nicely for obvious reasons. Teams I would like to avoid on current form would be Bayern and Chelsea and to a lesser extent Barcelona and Liverpool. It doesnt really matter to much who we get as we are one of the few sides left in it who are capable of beating everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'll think about it once we get through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

redout wrote: »
    Porto or Villarreal will do nicely for obvious reasons. Teams I would like to avoid on current form would be Bayern and Chelsea and to a lesser extent Barcelona and Liverpool. It doesnt really matter to much who we get as we are one of the few sides left in it who are capable of beating everyone.

Its the last 8 of the champions league every team left has a chance of beating everyone

Its the last 8 of the champions league every team left has a chance of beating everyone

Very true although some teams have a far greater chance of beating some of the teams than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Not Porto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

By the way, hoping for the easiest draw possible makes sense in every round. The whole 'I'd prefer to play the hard teams now rather than later' attitude is bordering on bizarre.

Logical.
    Trilla wrote: »
    Not in Uniteds case re Liverpool, they'd be itching to repay them asap. Apart from that I agree. I'd hate to get Chelsea though, I consider them the toughest opponent and favourites for the CL.
    el rabitos wrote: »
    well, for liverpool i think the tougher the opposition on paper, the better chance we'll have.

if we draw porto or villareal its over for us, dont know why, just a feeling.
    so i'm personally hoping for barca or bayern maybe. i figure bayern will be a bit complacent after scoring so many against sporting.

tbh though, whoever wins the champions league, has to go through at least 1 english team. thats just the way it is. so weather its in the next round or the final, it has to be done.

LOgicaL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The English teams didn't worry me at all last year. We hockied Arsenal and Liverpool comprehsevily last year in the league. Chelsea and Barca were the real threats, and Barca imo were the 2nd best team in Europe last year in the CL. Our game with them was way way tighter than our game with Chelsea. We may have deserved to beat Chelsea, we just scrapped through against Barca.

Ultimately, the team you play in the semi finals [bar a really weak draw of like Porto and Villareal] is going to be very very good. Barca or one of the English teams probably.
    Why want a tough team now, and then a tough team in the semis?

What time is this at on Friday btw?
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    LOgicaL

hilarious! The thought that United players would love to beat the Pool in the CL and get at them as early as possible and that Chelsea can be considered the favourites for the CL with Essien and Drogba back. Mind boggling in fact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would hope for one of the easier ties, and hope that United regain some sort of form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Porto or Villareal with two of the other English teams to be drawn against each other.

It was disappointing to play an English team (Chelsea) in the final last year.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

LOgicaL

about as logical as losing to benfica over 2 legs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

about as logical as losing to benfica over 2 legs
    Who did that?

liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

As a Liverpool fan, i genuinely don't care who we get. There's no one i particularly want to avoid. I think we're good enough to beat any of the teams and you can't keep avoiding the top teams if you want to win the competition and so i say bring on whoever. I'm sure the Liverpool players feel the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

monkey9 wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan, i genuinely don't care who we get.... I'm sure the Liverpool players feel the same way.

I'd be 99.9999% certain they don't feel the same as you.

Porto for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Arsenal: Man U or Barca please.

monkey9 wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan, i genuinely don't care who we get. There's no one i particularly want to avoid. I think we're good enough to beat any of the teams and you can't keep avoiding the top teams if you want to win the competition and so i say bring on whoever. I'm sure the Liverpool players feel the same way.

I think we (Arsenal) could be a potential banana skin for Liverpool.

I think the only way to beat Liverpool is to play a very technical game at a fast pace. Arsenal can do that if they're in form, Barca may be able to but I suspect that the tempo Liverpool play at might catch them out were the two sides to meet.

I really don't understand Man U fans that are eager to draw Liverpool - I understand the desire for revenge but they've clearly got the measure of you this year. Man U will win the league because they're much more consistent and they've got a bigger squad but I don't think you'd find many neutrals who'd pick Man U as winners in a knockout competition.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »

Why ? Do you want end your season prematurely.

Simply put without Fab Arsenal are far from Fab.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Liverpool fan and i so want man u blood again.
    They will be terrified to play us again, i can imagine Vidic having nightmares in anticipation of facing El Nino again :D

Fingers crossed for Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dcully wrote: »
    Liverpool fan and i so want man u blood again.
    They will be terrified to play us again, i can imagine Vidic having nightmares in anticipation of facing El Nino again :D

lightning doesn't strike twice

utd will be up for revenge

revenge is a dish best served cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Good thing he's back for the quarter finals then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Good thing he's back for the quarter finals then.

Excellent, he could be the shot in arsé my FF football team need.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

liverpool

Ah sure, Utd barely squeezed past them as well, it took extra time.

(Might as well talk about 1968 as 2006 while we're at it)

Headshot wrote: »

Are you sure about that?

He's expected back for the next round.

We've a good enough record against Man U in recent years, even though we've missed our star players at times.

Barca - Arsenal would just be a great game to watch plus all the sub-plots, Henry, Fab, Toure bro's, Hleb etc.

Are you sure about that?

lightning doesn't strike 3 times then :D

Headshot wrote: »

utd will be up for revenge

revenge is a dish best served cold

Ha Ha nice editing there :D

Have i got your blood heating up ? :P

Bring on your revenge attempt, i pray you get the chance i really do :cool:

I just gotta milk the win, God knows yous will walk the title so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

gosplan wrote: »

Surely Arsenal, more than anyone else, need the easiest draw possible?

Players are only now returning from injury, and it will take a while for them to gel as a unit. I expect them to be a far better team come May than they are now.

They also have a great chance to open a gap between themselves and a fading Villa that have to play Liverpool, United and Everton in their next three games, so they conceivably would have 4th place wrapped up and could concentrate 100% on their semi-final (if they get there obviously). This is a luxury that I don't think United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Barca or even Bayern will have at that point in the season, as they will all be still involved in a battle for their respective domestic championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd prefer to see United get Villareal or Porto. I wouldn't want Barca or Liverpool as they have teams that could very well go all the way. If those two get drawn against one another it would be quite handy.

Ha Ha nice editing there :D

Have i got your blood heating up ? :P

Bring on your revenge attempt, i pray you get the chance i really do :cool:

ha ha ninja editing :D

I rather meet liverpool in the final,it'll be much sweater to see ye come soo close to the CL trophy but fall at the last hurdle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

As long as there is European representation in the semi-finals, I don't mind.

For those who want Villareal and Porto, PSV were the desired team in 2005..

I know its pointless actually predicting draws like this, but I could see the following happen:

Bayern vs Man Utd
    Barcelona vs Arsenal
    ----
    Chelsea vs Porto
    Villarreal vs Liverpool

• Advertisement
Advertisement