Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm Panel External bell

Options
  • 18-03-2009 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,

Looking for a little help if possible.
    I installed my alarm panel some years ago (Aritech CD9503 - which I got from employer when they moved premises).
    This has been working fine over the years, but last week needed to replace the external bell box. I did not get an aritech replacement, rather a Texecom Odyssey, and I'm having trouble wiring it into the panel.

The odyssey has the following connections - +12V, 0V, bell, tamper, strobe. It also has a microswitch for the lid. the bell and stribe are both negative-activated.

On my panel I have a bell tamper, which includes a 4.7K resistor - this is currently just (the resistor) across the tamper connections in the panel.

The problem is with the strobe - I cannot get it to stop flashing. All other things work fine - bell goes off on alarm etc, but strobe is still flashing. I thought originally it was due to the wrong polarity being set on the output on the panel, but rechecked this and it is a negative-activated signal.

Also I'm unsure how to wire the tamper - on the panel I have as said a resistor between the bell tamper connections, but there is only one connection to tamper on the bell? so unsure how to connect it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    gg339

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

Texecom Odyssey-CD95

A (12V )
    Terminal 54 – External Siren +
    B (BELL)
    Terminal 53 – External Siren -
    C (TAMP)
    Terminal 33 – SAB Tamper Return (Use 4K7 Resistor)
    D (0V)
    Terminal 34 – SAB Hold -
    S (STRB)
    Terminal 51 – Internal Siren -

Let me know how you get on

Derek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gg339

Derek,

Many thanks for your reply...

After my post below, I relooked at the bell box and decided to connect it to the panel, and I did it as follows...

12V - Terminal 54 ( Ext Bell +)
    Bell - Terminal 53 (Ext Bell -)
    Tamp - unconnected
    0V - Terminal 57 (Aux 0v)
    Strb - Terminal 41 (output 3)

I then programmed output 3 as internal bell type, and strobe and bell worked fine. I left the tamper disconnected.

As I said, that was last week when I posted this thread, and I have not touched the thing since.

So in reply to your comments, and considering how I now have things connected, do you reckon I should change connections around as per your post (I'm concerned that I may have taken the wrong 0v for the bell box - although I would expect all 0V connections to be on the same bus?)

If I do connect the tamper then is it important to move my existing 0v connection to terminal 34 on panel, and if I do (or not) I assume I just connect the tamper via a 4.7k resistor to terminal 33.

Could I finally ask what the object of the tamper loop in this instance is? - ie - there is a tamper switch allready in the bell box, and the bell will go off if it loses 12v from panel - so what is the bonus in the tamper?

Many thanks again for taking the time to answer my question earlier - I appreciate your effort.

Kind regards,
    Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

Hi Gerry,

The 0v for the bellbox doesn't really matter whether you use the tamper or not. If you do decide to use the tamper, just connect it to terminal 33 via a 4K7 resistor.

The reason for the tamper connection is to trigger the alarm panel if the bell cover is removed(24HR). This will in turn trigger the internal sounder and if it is armed, trigger the communications.

Derek

Advertisement