Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would it bother you to live next to a graveyard?

Options
  • 18-03-2009 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

My house looks directly over a graveyard. I personally couldn't care less but I was suprised that some people, when visiting the house for the first time mentioned that they would never live next to a graveyard or saying it's 'creepy' etc.

To be honest neither myself nor my husband batted an eyelid when viewing the house the first time, possibly as neither of us are religious. We find it very peaceful and quiet and I'd prefer living next to a graveyard than having a load of noisy neighbours or next to a main road anyday.

Just wondering what do others think? If it would bother you - why?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Considering my lifestyle (I'm a professional munter) it would probably work out for the best if I lived near a graveyard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'd rather a graveyard than a methadone clinic or halting site.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Considering my lifestyle (I'm a professional munter) it would probably work out for the best if I lived near a graveyard.

So how much dose this pay?

I think i know a few people who would be interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

So how much dose this pay?

I think i know a few people who would be interested.

Its pro-boner work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Aye, the spirit is willing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Do you have kids OP?

If so you can have great fun. Some night show them the Thriller video, then show them Dawn of the Dead, then Return of the Living Dead and then tell the kids you're going out for the night and make sure to mention there's planks of wood in the garage just in case they need to board up the windows for any reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Ha ha, no kids but good plan all the same!

I suppose that's what people are afraid of on some level - that the dead will climb back out of their graves and get them :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I live about 50 yards from a graveyard. Took approx 3 months of living there to actually cop that the graveyard was there in the first place though :rolleyes:

No problems with it though, as someone said earlier rather that than countless other things i.e. methodone clinic, bank etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

The house I grew up in in Kilkenny is on a graveyard. When my parents were digging foundations 20 odd years ago they found thirty odd human skeletons, one with fully formed foetal bones in her belly. as this was the late 70s /early 80s and there was no sign of foul play.. it was never really investigated further. the bones were carbon dated at the time to be about 1300's there or there abouts.. there are still hundreds of skeletons around the house and garden and around the land around us. I've been there on my own, we've camped out in the field, we even have a hip bone in our bedside locker nw in Maynooth. and my uncle has a cranium on his mantle piece in Glasgow... never gave us any bothers no spooks, nothing! scrae the **** out of the dogs tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

I'd love to live next to a graveyard. There's nothing worse than noisy neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    I'd love to live next to a graveyard. There's nothing worse than noisy neighbours.

I'd rather have live noisy neighbours than moaning zombies beating a path to my door in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Tupins wrote: »
    I suppose that's what people are afraid of on some level - that the dead will climb back out of their graves and get them :eek:

Way I see it, if you're a good neighbour yours will be the last house they visit on their relentless killing spree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Wouldn't bother me. Rather that than a pub or noisey/troublesome neighbours, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Why would it bother anyone?

Sure we'll spend enough time in one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Looked over a converted church in a village near Stratford upon Avon in the UK years ago. It came complete with graveyard and you weren't allowed to touch it. We did toy with the idea of buying it and using the top of a tomb as a picnic table, but then declined and bought a proper house a few miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think it'd be pretty cool actually. Awesome for house parties. Right now we have a horse stables behind us. They don't smell or anything but they throw up a lot of dust during the summer. Take a field of tombstones over that any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Dartz wrote: »
    Why would it bother anyone?

Sure we'll spend enough time in one anyway.

I wont. I'm the 2nd coming of Christ.

Oopps, secret out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Actually, I'm in the market for a house in a graveyard!
    What better place to await the zombie uprising I know is coming.

oh and if it had rooftop access and a fecking huge gun rack that would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Had a garden apartment next to a graveyard for many years.

Luckily the neighbors never bothered us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I wouldnt have a problem with a graveyard. At least you'd know that the site will always be there and not turned into a chipper or apartment block!

And as me Granny always says, "Its the living you need to worry about, not the dead"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

No, i'd love it. preferably somewhere quiet and remote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

wouldnt find it creepy at all.
    the thing that would bother me would be the parking situation when there are funerals on, the road could get kinda busy and you could have people blocking in your drive etc.

i know im heartless, and they're grieving, but still..... if there were 2 or 3 funerals a week i'd say it'd get pretty annoying

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I get an odd vibe around graveyards...hospitals and prisons too..it feels like there's traces of the people in the area still,not just the corpses but the mourners too..like the grief has been soaked into the stones.
    Its very hard to explain and not everybody gets it but i wouldnt be able to live near a graveyard for that reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Degsy wrote: »
    I get an odd vibe around graveyards...hospitals and prisons too..it feels like there's traces of the people in the area still,not just the corpses but the mourners too..like the grief has been soaked into the stones.
    Its very hard to explain and not everybody gets it but i wouldnt be able to live near a graveyard for that reason.

Mystic Deg?

Don't think I could live right beside one either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

it wouldnt bother me at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Itd bother me a little cause I know id end up gettin drunk then goin dancing on random graves. Spooks and zombies wont appreciate that......

....CAUSE THIS IS THRILLER!!!!BEEN A LONG NIGHT!!!!AND NO-ONES GONNA SAVE YOU FROM THE BEAST ABOUT TO STRIKE!!!!

stovelid wrote: »
    Mystic Deg?

Don't think I could live right beside one either.

An ex of mine used to live in phibsboro and everytime i slept in the house i'd have horrible,vivid nightmares,really terrible stuff that i'm not prone to at all.
    Ages later i remember noting that the house backed almost up against the wall of mountjoy..it must have been 170 years of negative energy or something was bleeding into my subconscious.Nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So Degsy's 'sensative', that certainly explains a few things :)

Thaedydal wrote: »
    So Degsy's 'sensative', that certainly explains a few things :)

I very much doubt it!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No need to be so sensative about it. :P

Advertisement