Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would it bother you to live next to a graveyard?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

There's a graveyard just down the road and i've never thought about it, might keep me up tonight tho!! :pac:

In fairness twud be worse living near a church with the real living dead, those old biddies going to mass! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Degsy wrote: »
    An ex of mine used to live in phibsboro and everytime i slept in the house i'd have horrible,vivid nightmares,really terrible stuff that i'm not prone to at all.
    Ages later i remember noting that the house backed almost up against the wall of mountjoy..it must have been 170 years of negative energy or something was bleeding into my subconscious.Nasty.
    let them have a ;dig; at you, but seriously i often feel vibes when entering a old building or place nothing that is to scary but in feb i was living in a old cottage in wicklow[dated 1600 ad] and i saw two young girls appear next to the fire place--back to the toppic next to a chuch yard it would be dead quiet even in the dead centre of town

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

A friend of mine was in art college in waterford and was showing me around o ne of the studios.The minute i walked into the (large) room i got a terrible feeling of misery and dispair..i asked him did the building have any "history" and he told me it was a former magdelene laundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

did yous know that .
    any people who live beside a graveyard cant be buried in that graveyard .
    reason
    there not dead yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

did yous know that .
    reason
    there not dead yet

Ha ha, def going to use that next time someone mentions something about me living next to a graveyard - thanks!

• Advertisement

did yous know that .
    reason
    there not dead yet

They're not dead yet.

That joke shouldve been laid to rest long ago..a very grave attempt at humour...i'm so angry i've had a coffin fit.

did yous know that .
    reason
    there not dead yet

Gravely unfunny.
    I'm so angry i had a coffin fit...dont tell any morgue jokes like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

A friend of mine was in art college in waterford and was showing me around o ne of the studios.The minute i walked into the (large) room i got a terrible feeling of misery and dispair..i asked him did the building have any "history" and he told me it was a former magdelene laundry.

Is that you Derek Acorah?

Gravely unfunny.
    You should lay that joke to rest.
    I'm so annoyed i just had a coffin fit and i'd ask you not to tell any morgue jokes like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A friend of mine was in art college in waterford and was showing me around o ne of the studios.The minute i walked into the (large) room i got a terrible feeling of misery and dispair...

Art colleges are probably stuffed with emos?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

You should have your own TV show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In fairness, the ghosts are more likely to be hanging around the places that they lived, or stalking their ex-partners and mates, than hanging around a graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

starflake wrote: »
    The house I grew up in is on a graveyard. When my parents were digging foundations they found thirty odd human skeletons, one with fully formed foetal bones in her belly

Really? I'm not even an expert in CSI Miami but I thought that tiny infant's bones - so most likely foetus' bones also - were so light in calcium that they decomposed much more quickly than adult bones... wasn't that why Garda forensics couldn't put much stock in the absence of babies' bones when they failed to find them in the Shankill House of Horrors garden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

I lived right next to a church for 9 years of my life.
    I would rather have lived IN a graveyard and slept ON a grave.

Really? I'm not even an expert in CSI Miami but I thought that tiny infant's bones - so most likely foetus' bones also - were so light in calcium that they decomposed much more quickly than adult bones... wasn't that why Garda forensics couldn't put much stock in the absence of babies' bones when they failed to find them in the Shankill House of Horrors garden?

Not only that,"fetal bones" wouldnt be still in situ in the mother's belly.
    The act of digging them as well as post-mortem movement of the soil would have disarticulated the skelatons and it would be very difficult to see what bones belonged to whom.
    Unless his parents were trained archeologists...
    I call shenanigans on that assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭yellowcurl

Even though i'm easily terrified (really bad with horrors/thrillers) i don't think it'd bother me. It'd be the people who would keep telling you different storied that would bother me so much. Like they aren't the ones living beside a graveyard, so why should it bother them! :P

I'll post up photos next time I'm home... every single word is true, i swear! Well, My mam and Dad are both in the medical proffion, and doubt they would have told me that story about the baby bones as a kid, if it weren't true.... unless they were very sick... and i dont think there are any 'experts' in CSI Miami tbh

The act of digging them as well as post-mortem movement of the soil would have disarticulated the skelatons and it would be very difficult to see what bones belonged to whom.

It's all true, every word, you're more than welcome to come investigate in Kilkenny if you wish... my Dad would love to know what went on there... oooh and they were al buried from east to west or maybe the other way around. they all were perfectly intact, perfect teeth etc... one or two of them had their heads between therir ankles other than that they were totally intact there was only one womman the rest were males... im not fibbing about the baby bones i promise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hey Degsy...
    starflake wrote: »
    you're more than welcome to come investigate in Kilkenny if you wish...

Road Trip?

:D

Yer more than welcome! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Tis' all true (starflakes' family home being my in-laws)

The find was made before the amendments to the national monuments acts of the post-Cullen era, so without suspicion of foul play, and a satisfactory carbon date, the bones were moved from the field to a nearby churchyard.

I have seen the remaining bones which, although excellently preserved, are badly fragmented from careless digging over time, and probably significant compaction from years of tillage. (The field was never set in ridges as far as I know, so the ground was never penetrated below a few feet).

The foetal bones are interesting, the way they were described to me sounds exactly as starflake put it - also, all bodies were interred in single graves, so I doubt they were the bones of another.

The area itself has a long history of small-holder settlement, and the place-naming sugests something of the significance of the field. All bodies were interred facing the same direction, so the ritualistic layout is confusing me, as it doesnt correspond with the stated carbon date in terms of religious practice.

As soon as I have time I will follow it up, but I suspect the bones are from a much later famine grave, which would explain both the place-naming, local superstition, and the interment pattern.

I didn't see them in-situ before they were moved, which I would imagine, will limit any further conclusions without a full overview of the layout

well either they wer foetal bones or she had just ate a big chicken!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I get an odd vibe around graveyards...hospitals and prisons too..it feels like there's traces of the people in the area still,not just the corpses but the mourners too..like the grief has been soaked into the stones.
    Its very hard to explain and not everybody gets it but i wouldnt be able to live near a graveyard for that reason.

As much as I believe in vibes and the power of energy and what not, I don't think that it'd bother me too much. If they're well kept, graveyards and cemeteries are often quite beautiful places, very still and quiet.

At the very least, you'd know the lot next door to you wouldn't become the future site of some condominium that would block your sunlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I get an odd vibe around graveyards
    Graveyards slightly freak me out for similar reasons I think.
    Especially big, active ones like Glasnevin cemetary... walking around seeing graves with kid's toys, like a teddy bear all mouldy and tattered from the elements... both a sad reminder of the grief and sentiment from the people he/she left behind and a grim metaphor of lost youth and decay. (sometimes I wish I had an emo fringe I could flick out of my eyes for after I write things like that)

The sheer number of graves too, when you're out in the middle of the place and you have graves around you in every direction as far as the eye can see... it feels a bit other-worldly and almost claustrophobic.
    I don't like stepping on graves either for some reason... yet it's almost impossible to avoid.

I don't know whether I have unresolved issues with my own mortality, or whether I've seen too many fúcked up horror films like Phantasm and Pet Cemetery as a young kid... probably both :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

The house I grew up in was right next to a pet cemetery. Never had a problem. Except for the ghostly wails and shadows of dead animals and Satanic sacrifices at night. And the time the neighbor tried burying his dead child there in the hopes that it would return from the dead.
    But aside from that, never had a problem.

Advertisement