Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Weather Website

Options
  • 18-03-2009 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

I have a website for Carlow Weather up and running, its www.carlowweather.com its based on my weather station in Tullow.

I have purchased a piece of software that creates forecast for the area, it should be very accurate and its customized for the Carlow area.

So you can see past, present and future weather information.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments please feel free to share them.

Cheers

Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

nice one :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Jim K

Very nice and informative of course

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Thanks for the comments, I've added an option to receive forecast's automatically by email : http://www.carlowweather.com/wxemail.php

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

aaawww one of my resentments is on your website :o:o:o
    It is so petty I am even ashamed to say. the date format - why is it american. I would get so mixed up by that.

I love all the info though on the page though, the rainfall, date of sun & moon rising, and also how since it rained (6 days).

Really is an excellent website, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

yeh good job villan well done

• Advertisement

queen-mise wrote: »
    aaawww one of my resentments is on your website :o:o:o
    It is so petty I am even ashamed to say. the date format - why is it american. I would get so mixed up by that.

I love all the info though on the page though, the rainfall, date of sun & moon rising, and also how since it rained (6 days).

Really is an excellent website, thanks.

I never even noticed the date, I have fixed it now, thanks for the feedback its hard to get everything right first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Well done villian. May i ask was this just a side project or have you marketing plans in mind?

stick-dan wrote: »
    Well done villian. May i ask was this just a side project or have you marketing plans in mind?
    Well its just an interest of mine, but I did spend about 2,000 on the setup so I put google ads up and the donate button to see if I could recoup someting but I certainly didn't do it as way of making money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Villain wrote: »
    Well its just an interest of mine, but I did spend about 2,000 on the setup so I put google ads up and the donate button to see if I could recoup someting but I certainly didn't do it as way of making money

Ah right cool cool, no was only wondering. google adds means that you dont pay for the domain isn't it or does it mean that they pay you to advertise.

stick-dan wrote: »
    Ah right cool cool, no was only wondering. google adds means that you dont pay for the domain isn't it or does it mean that they pay you to advertise.
    No Google ads means I get paid each time someone clicks on an add on webpage.

I do have another project in mind regards whole country forecasting but I would need sponosrhip or some way of getting revenue for it to get it off the ground but for now its just Carlow Weather offered as a free service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Great site alright Villian! ;)

Just wondering, but do you have to have the station hooked up to your computer 24/7 or do you have another computer dedicated to the weather station? I wouldnt mind trying to get my one online, ok, its only a LaCrosse, but its pretty good (I think), just wouldnt know where to start with getting it online.

Great site alright Villian! ;)

Just wondering, but do you have to have the station hooked up to your computer 24/7 or do you have another computer dedicated to the weather station? I wouldnt mind trying to get my one online, ok, its only a LaCrosse, but its pretty good (I think), just wouldnt know where to start with getting it online.
    Well at present I have it running on a shared computer but I'm in the process of building a seperate computer which will be dedicated to this job.

If you use Weather Display software its very easy to get it online with a basic webapge e.g. http://www.carlowweather.com/Index.htm

The template I have used is a little more complicated, you don't need a very powerful machine, if you neeed any help just let me know. I know most of what is needed now, If I remember correctly you made a nice radiation shield for your temp sensor so you should be getting pretty acurate readings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Just came accross this site people, not sure if you have seen it before

http://www.reachbroadband.com/weather/

It's from the mast on Mt. Leinster

Yep he's part of the Irish Weather Network it's on a mast on Mt Leinster great to have a station at that height.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭tom traubert

I figured it was time to bump this thread to the top of the page again. 'Hope Villian approves.

http://www.carlowweather.com

Cheers Tom, busy time and its only November.

Over 1,000 Unique Visitors yesterday.

-4.1c at the moment with the Seasons first ICE day looking likely

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have to say it's great,am checking it on a regular basis!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Have to say it's great,am checking it on a regular basis!

+1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

keep up the good work mate, I check it several times during day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

nice site! i;ve got accuwather but its not very accurate about carlow. good thing there's something out there for carlovians!

so if we click on the ads you get some money? I'll click on the ads for ya if thats the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

nice site! I'll click on the ads for ya .

+1

not very accurate about the snows!!!!

not very accurate about the snows!!!!
    Do you mean in forecasts? The streamers off the Irish sea are a very localised event and very hard to forecast e.g. the change in wind direction this morning has moved showers 20 miles from Tullow. Impossible to forecast with certainity.

thats alrite. I think its almost impossible to get an accurate weather forecast locally anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

hi villian

just wanted to say I always check your site too :)

found out about it here about a year ago and have passed it on to friends.

keep up the good work.. :)
    oh and less of the snow please :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 luluboo

Hi villain I used your site on a daily basis over the bad weather and have to say I found it great.

Your tweeter feed is also top notch so keep up the great work 

Advertisement