Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy a reel to reel tape recorder

• 18-03-2009 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Anyone know where I could buy a reel to reel tape recorder around Dublin Pioneer,Akai or Sony.
    I know there are plenty on ebay but would rather have a look before I buy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Hens teeth, I'd sell you a Studer A-80 but you'd need an extra room and a degree in electronics to keep it maintained, it's a pig of a thing! :)

Try this link to Gumtree here's an Akai http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:hcFiuccZ8tQJ:www.gumtree.ie/dublin/78/31267678.html+%22reel+to+reel%22+dublin&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie&client=firefox-a

Ad could be years old though!!!

I don't think anybody makes them anymore, not for the consumer market anyway so you are not going to find one in a shop.

You could also keep an eye out for a Revox B77. Be very careful about the state of any of these machines too, sony, akai, otari any of them. I got an old Philips reel to reel years ago and the whole deck was live. Heads wear down too, pinch rollers decompose over time, brake drums need replacing and motor bearings wear out, that's before you even look at the electronics, replacing capacitors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Dearg Doom

thanks for reply Studiorat.
    Yeah,like hens teeth alright. The Akai on Gumtree at 400eu was too rich for me.
    That Revox looks a nice machine too.

I suppose the search must now continue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

You should try haggle if it's still available, though I don't think you'll get a decent one for less than €250. Top end machines still go for €1,500 upwards.

The higher end machines like the Revox allow you to calibrate the machine so it records and plays back better, a doddle to do. As well as stop the tape on the head and rock back and forth for editing, great fun when you get the hang of it.

Grundig would be worth a look too. As would Uher and of course, Ampex and Nagra all quite expensive though.

Advertisement