Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor SMS problem!

Options
  • 18-03-2009 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I'm having a problem with receiving text messages. Every so often text messages don't get received by me, even though the sender gets a deliver report!
    Has anyone else had this problem??

I noticed that text messages are saved on my phone rather than on my sim card. Is this normal and is there anyway to save text messages to the sim instead?

I was thinking that my sim card was receiving the text, hence the deliver report for the sender, but then maybe the text was getting lost between my sim and phone, is that likely??

Is the delivery report generated by my phone, my sim or by the service centre??

like I said, it's not all texts, just every so often (which is probably more annoing cause it makes less sense!)

My phone is an LG Renoir and both the sender, that I've noticed this problem with, and myself are on Meteor Ireland.

If anyone has any ideas then I'd appreciate it.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

underpants wrote: »
    I noticed that text messages are saved on my phone rather than on my sim card. Is this normal and is there anyway to save text messages to the sim instead?

I can't help you with your other queries but it's normal that the text messages get saved to the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

A sim card can generally hold 25 sms, but there is no way that I am aware of for you to direct incoming sms to the sim by default. On some handsets, such as Sony Ericsson handsets, you can save sms to your sim card. This is done by saving an sms and selecting “saved messages” as the destination.

Delivery reports are generated from the handset, but are configurable by a mobile network i.e. a mobile network can allow or not allow their subscribers to receive delivery reports.

With regard to your sms problem, have you had the problem since buying your new handset, or has it been intermittently present while you have been on the Meteor network? Does it happen with sms sent from more than one person, or just the sender you mentioned who is also on Meteor?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭underpants

Rsaeire wrote: »
    A sim card can generally hold 25 sms, but there is no way that I am aware of for you to direct incoming sms to the sim by default. On some handsets, such as Sony Ericsson handsets, you can save sms to your sim card. This is done by saving an sms and selecting “saved messages” as the destination.

Delivery reports are generated from the handset, but are configurable by a mobile network i.e. a mobile network can allow or not allow their subscribers to receive delivery reports.

With regard to your sms problem, have you had the problem since buying your new handset, or has it been intermittently present while you have been on the Meteor network? Does it happen with sms sent from more than one person, or just the sender you mentioned who is also on Meteor?

It has happened once or twice before I got the new handset but it's practically every day now which is really annoying!

I've only noticed it from one person so far. It's hard to find out unless some asks why I didn't reply to a specific message as I have no idea they've sent one.
    I think the sender recently got a new phone too so we might swap phones for a bit and see if the problem is reversed. I'm guessing that would then clearly idicate a phone problem!

It has happened once or twice before I got the new handset but it's practically every day now which is really annoying!

I've only noticed it from one person so far. It's hard to find out unless some asks why I didn't reply to a specific message as I have no idea they've sent one.
    I think the sender recently got a new phone too so we might swap phones for a bit and see if the problem is reversed. I'm guessing that would then clearly idicate a phone problem!

The fact that you only experienced the problem once or twice before buying the new handset, as opposed to it happening almost every day with the new handset, would indicate to me that the problem lies with the handset. Swapping the handset with your friend would be a novel way of discovering whether it is your phone specifically, however, you may want to ask some of your other friends on Meteor, that is if you have any other friends on Meteor, to send several sms to you over the next few days and check whether you receive any of those sms. If you don’t, check with them when the sms you didn’t receive were sent, but if you do, then it may be a problem with your one friend on Meteor.

ok, here's the latest on this!
    and it makes NO sense!!

My friend and I are both on Meteor.
    I'm using an LG Renoir and she is using a Nokia 3110.

When she sends a text to me that has more than 160 characters (ie. multiple texts) then she gets a delivery report but I never get anything.

single texts (less than 160 characters) are fine.

So we switched sim cards in the phones and tried agian. No problems. All texts were received in both directions.

I have a spare Sony Ericcson K750i so I put her sim into that and sent some texts to my sim in the LG. All texts were received in both directions.

I also have a second LG Renoir. So I put her sim into that and sent some more texts to my sim in the other LG. All texts were received in both directions!

So basically, the problm only occurs with her sim in the Nokia 3110 and my sim in an LG Renoir (same problem occurs in either LG renoir).

Makes you think, it must be a phone issue but like I said, swap the sims and it works fine. So must be sim issue? but! my sim receives texts from all others phones we tested except the nokia 3110! And I've also got a new sim just to check that wasn't the problem!

Any ideas why this would or could possibly happen??!!
    I told you it makes no sense!

• Advertisement

ok, here's the latest on this!
    and it makes NO sense!!

My friend and I are both on Meteor.
    I'm using an LG Renoir and she is using a Nokia 3110.

When she sends a text to me that has more than 160 characters (ie. multiple texts) then she gets a delivery report but I never get anything.

single texts (less than 160 characters) are fine.

So we switched sim cards in the phones and tried agian. No problems. All texts were received in both directions.

I have a spare Sony Ericcson K750i so I put her sim into that and sent some texts to my sim in the LG. All texts were received in both directions.

I also have a second LG Renoir. So I put her sim into that and sent some more texts to my sim in the other LG. All texts were received in both directions!

So basically, the problm only occurs with her sim in the Nokia 3110 and my sim in an LG Renoir (same problem occurs in either LG renoir).

Makes you think, it must be a phone issue but like I said, swap the sims and it works fine. So must be sim issue? but! my sim receives texts from all others phones we tested except the nokia 3110! And I've also got a new sim just to check that wasn't the problem!

Any ideas why this would or could possibly happen??!!
    I told you it makes no sense!
    When you state "Makes you think, it must be a phone issue but like I said, swap the sims and it works fine." Are you saying that when you put your sim in the Nokia 3110 and your friend's sim in your LG Renoir that your friend can receive sms with more than 160 characters? If this is correct, then the only other thing to do would be for your friend to get a sim swap, as there seems to be a compatibility issue with her sim in the Nokia 3110.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    When you state "Makes you think, it must be a phone issue but like I said, swap the sims and it works fine." Are you saying that when you put your sim in the Nokia 3110 and your friend's sim in your LG Renoir that your friend can receive sms with more than 160 characters? If this is correct, then the only other thing to do would be for your friend to get a sim swap, as there seems to be a compatibility issue with her sim in the Nokia 3110.

Hi Rsaeire, that's right.
    I think what you said is probably a good idea and one of the last things left that we haven't tried!

Is that possible though? that a sim would have a compatibility issue with a specific phone model?
    After all, her sim and mine are both meteor and should be the same!

Hi Rsaeire, that's right.
    I think what you said is probably a good idea and one of the last things left that we haven't tried!

Is that possible though? that a sim would have a compatibility issue with a specific phone model?
    After all, her sim and mine are both meteor and should be the same!

It depends on how old her sim is, as there are different types of Meteor sim e.g. 8K, 16K and 32K.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 garry gold

Hi I thinking of moving to meteor myself but I have experienced the problem of SMS messages not being received by the recipient who was on meteor on quite a few occasions.
    I was on meteor myself years ago and had the same thing happen to me,
    My texts not received and not receiving texts to my phone.

Is this still a problem with meteor???????

• Registered Users Posts: 12 garry gold

Hi all

The issue with the text messages with meteor is still seams to be a problem.

I'm with tescomobile mobile myself and had to text a number of people that are on the meteor network yesterday it tells you that the message is sent BUT doesn't garentee that the person has received the text to their phone, also my sister and a good friend of mine tried to text a few people as well that are on meteor the same thing happened
    This seams to be a regular occurrence with meteor and their sms system.
    Will meteor ever sort it out once and for all????

AGAIN IF ITS IMPORTANT RING, NEVER EVER RELY ON SMS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Meteor: Sarah

Hi garry gold,

If you could PM us with your mobile number as well as the Meteor numbers you're having difficulty texting then we can look into this. If you could also include the time frames and exact days that you tried to send these texts that would be great.

Thanks,

Sarah

Advertisement