Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Abominations

• 18-03-2009 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Inspired by tout le monde thread...evidently some Megadeth fans on board here :D

Am I the only one who really likes the United Abominations album?

UA-cover.jpg

I really think its a return to form and far superior to some of the unfortunate albums that we fumbled out...risk for one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

I love the album, new version of Tout Le Monde is not as good as the first one, "Gears Of War" "Sleepwalker" definately the best tracks on the album!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

hyn-zie wrote: »
    I love the album, new version of Tout Le Monde is not as good as the first one, "Gears Of War" "Sleepwalker" definately the best tracks on the album!!!

ah cmon now, I like Megadeth as much as the next guy but 'Gears of War' stank! Uninspired at best

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

helios12 wrote: »
    Uninspired at best

Like most of the album unfortunately. Grr Bush etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I didnt like it all, alse did they speed up A Tout le Monde, something about it, that said I think Scabbia's vocals were a good addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I love that album. Tis great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I enjoyed it, it was better than some of the awful stuff that came out prior to their disbanding. Especially Risk, which had about one or two good songs on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I prefer the The System Has Failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

the system has failed was a fantastic album , abominations was ok gears of war is a great song and i love both versions of tout la monde but originals are always best.....

megadeth are one of the best metal bands....anyone see them in o2 with testament and judas priest great gig and megadeth were on fire,,,dave mustaine in good form and all great gig....mostly great albums,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭finbarr

Sorry Trev I know we've argued this at length before but that album is pure crap... And I'm saying that as a huge Megadeth fan. The last few albums have been piss weak with one or two good songs thrown in but by and large they have been well below average. They were some band in their day mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It's a terrible, terrible album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Wah wah, war is bad etc. That's the general idea of the idea. Not good at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

hyn-zie wrote: »

Don't agree with your Tout Le Monde comment but the other comments I support

Love this album, its brilliant, and a great return to form for Megadeth - long live Roadrunner if they can produce this from Mustaine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Doctor J wrote: »
    It's a terrible, terrible album.

oh look its the judas priest fan :psaying UA is crap again...yer dead to me doc dead to me.

By the way what the hell is the FOF track short for , might be useful to know when its in the podcast ya bleedin muppeh !

Love this album, its brilliant, and a great return to form for Megadeth - long live Roadrunner if they can produce this from Mustaine.

Testify brother , now ya see that there doc someone who has a clue:P

It's the first Megadeth album I actually cringed listening to. Amerikastan? The title track? Come on, lads, they are shockingly bad tunes. As for the rest of them, meh is the nicest thing I can say. It's a terrible, terrible album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Jay P wrote: »
    Wah wah, war is bad etc. That's the general idea of the idea. Not good at all.

That's all their albums.

Megadeth as a band are top class. I'm not a huge fan of UA but it is better than some of the recent offerings. But then, I know many of us fall into the trap of "Oh it's not as good as Peace Sells, or RIP", but that goes without saying really. I personally loved Cryptic Writings but others hated it.

Look at it this way; anything MEgadeth bring out will always be better than post 1991 Metallica. Happy now?

lee_arama wrote: »
    Oh it's not as good as...

That's not it at all. It doesn't matter how it sounds compared to their old stuff. What matters is whether it's simply a good album or not regardless of the logo on the front and, in my opinion, it's not. I wouldn't listen to a **** album just because a band were good 20 years ago and, by the same token, I wouldn't say a genuinely good album was **** just because it's different or not as intense or fast or agressive as the old stuff. Good tunes are good tunes and you won't find any on that album. It's as unlistenable as Risk. There, I said it :)

Risk was the last listenable album from start to finish... Great songs on it, just not like Rust In Peace... Breadline, Time 1, Wanderlust, Ecstacy are all great rock songs. Well written, well executed.

After Marty left the band it returned to the Dave Mustaine show and he just can't carry an album on his own anymore. His alliance with Friedman was a great songwriting team. Shame Mustaine has done nothing but downplay the contributions from Friedman, Ellefson and Menza since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Yeah I really don't like listening to it, bar the odd time throwing on washington is next. Was hugely disappointing after the system has failed, which I loved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

Mustaine is and always was a pwick. Back to the music - have to agree with doctor j here - a band should be judged on their last album not what has come in a different era entirely i.e Megadeth and those Irish residents Metallica are rubbish now.
    Actually most of those bands that have been on the go for 20 years or so have little to contribute - listen to the likes of Sunn O))) ,Earth's Hex album or even the new Einsturzende Neubauten which although not metal per se is fresh for a band that has been on the go since the 80s.
    This forum is so focussed on bands like Megadeth , metallica, FNM, GnR it's unbelievale - open your minds to new sounds and musical styles.

• Advertisement

I thought Risk was poor myself... just goes to show eh?

Granted it isn't in any way heavy or metal but the songs themselves are cracking... But it really depends how much you tie a particular band to a genre. A few "risks" here and there are a good thing methinks.

I'd rather that than a rehash of a formula just for the sake of being heavy or fast or politically controversial.... Which is what United Abominations was in my opinion. Washington Is Next is a great tune though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Worst megadeth album ever. No ifs, buts or comparrisons. There is nothing that compares. They(any by they i mean dave and his bank) wrote a song inspired by a videogame for fooks sake.

When i heard system has failed i thought megadeth might be somewhat going back on track but when i heard this my first thought was megadeths st.anger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Patricide wrote: »
    When i heard system has failed i thought megadeth might be somewhat going back on track but when i heard this my first thought was megadeths st.anger.

I am amazed when I hear comments like this....absolutely shocked and bloody amazed

:eek:eh what megadeth rule totally rule gears of war great tout la monde great most albums are fantastics full of hard ass lyrics and great music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I am amazed when I hear comments like this....absolutely shocked and bloody amazed
    Hey im not saying it was rust in peace inspired or anything im just saying it was better than some of the stuff they had put out previously. And i stick by the comment that it was DEFFINATLY better than united abominations.

here here patricide like united but system was in another league entirely thats a better league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

I haven't got it and don't think I'll bother unless its heavily discounted in a shop window. They play the classics live so why bother?

They were imo the highlight of the priest show.

What I try to do with these classic bands is consider if this was their first album would I get into them-the answers mostly NO especially metallica

Take for exmple the last Iron Maiden studio album.If that was presented as a 1st album I'd definitely be interested in whoever made it.

when you hear more than two or three songs from maiden they all merge into sounding like one song ,,, not good at all ...megadeth were great in the o2

• Advertisement
Advertisement