Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon Flash battery pack

• 18-03-2009 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone use the Canon flash battery pack (cp-e4)? Just wondering if they are worth getting. I have a 580ex flash, but the recycle time can be a bit, especially when rapid flash is needed.

Or, would buying the 580ex II be a better spend? Since I already have the 580ex, I don't think there's much logic in buying anothe flash though.

Any comments/reviews would be useful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

They're handy I guess. Speed up the recycle time, but then again, with 6 AA's, they'd want to. You can get (3rd party) batteries for them too, which is handy. The connection between cord and flash is crap though, mine repeatedly disconnected until I got the electrical tape out. I don't use it as much any more, just stick in some high powered rechargable's into the flash itself. Can't risk the connection coming loose at the wrong moment, at least I know where I stand with the 4 internal's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Fajitas! wrote: »
    They're handy I guess. Speed up the recycle time, but then again, with 6 AA's, they'd want to.

The CP-E4 uses 8 AA's. I have loads of rechargable batteries (16 I think), and do use them a bit. It's more to speed up the recycle time that gets me. Also, having a connection that isn't secure/stable is of concern, obviously.

Something more for me to consider. :cool:

Is it definitely 8 batteries? I was pretty sure it was 6 - I remember having 2 rechargables left from an 8 pack for my wireless mouse.

Shows the last time I used it.

Nope, I'm wrong, it is 8 :o

Where did I get those 2 spares out of then?

O.o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have one and use it quite a bit, well worth having especially if you change the custom function to use only the battery pack batteries for the flash, means you dont have to change 12 at a time. Above ISO 400 it is able to keep up with around 8fps. Depends on what you use it for though, mine is used for PR/Press/Weddings and presentations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

I use mine a lot especially for Weddings, PR and Press where i might be using flash for a long time. The batteries tend to discharge some when not in use so its advisable to use 8 fully charged when going out on a Job. I never had a problem with the connection coming loose, I usually put the pack in my breast pocket.

I use the Sanyo Enloops in it and even when you havent used the set for a month they are still good to go.

Maybe it's time for me to invest in a battery pack, and then a fresh set of 12 new batteries, all the same make/model and output. Hmmm. That sounds like the least expensive option for what I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I might pick up the CP-E4 myself in Cardiff this weekend. The Sanyo Eneloops from battercity.ie look very tempting too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

I also use the CP-E4 with 8 rechargeables from 7DayShop.

I use it, not so much for faster recycling, but to keep up the power for high power bounced flashes.

if you're doing it for rapid recycling - beware that you can fry your flash if you do too many flashes in a row without a pause. I think the 580 EX II has a thermal cut out to prevent this, but not the MK I.

• Advertisement

After 20 strobed flashes your meant to let it cool down, I have never had it cut out on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

I have a 580EX MK I and II.

The MK II has cut out on me a few times - presumably the thermal protection kicking in. I am very careful using the MK I and try and cycle between using the two flashes, or let them cool a bit, as Borderfox mentions.

All I was really pointing out is that with the battery pack you have enough power available to damage your flash. Using the internal batteries only, that is less likely to happen. This is especially likely if you make full use (or overuse) of the rapid recycling.

Paulw wrote: »
    Maybe it's time for me to invest in a battery pack, and then a fresh set of 12 new batteries, all the same make/model and output. Hmmm. That sounds like the least expensive option for what I want.

Would you not buy the 580 II?

You'll have a backup flash, be able to use a master/slave set up, the faster recycle speed of the Mk II, and a flash for each camera should the need arise?

Just a thought.

The battery pack is less than half the price of a new flash. I also have use of her 430ex flash too, if needed.

So, buying the 580ex II would not be a desired plan, especially when the battery pack is cheaper and would do the job better.

Thanks for all the comments guys, now time to start browsing and see the best prices I can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I think the battery pack is better option its a fair bit cheaper anyway. Saw a photographer in Dublin recently using the flash by holding it away from the camera. What are they called it was like a coiled phone cable. I like the idea of the freedom this would give to add a bit of light without changing settings. I have 40d and 430ex 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

LeoB wrote: »
    Saw a photographer in Dublin recently using the flash by holding it away from the camera. What are they called it was like a coiled phone cable. I like the idea of the freedom this would give to add a bit of light without changing settings. I have 40d and 430ex 11

It's an offshoe chord. It's a different thing than the battery pack. You'd still have to account for the light the flash is giving by having the correct exposure settings. It will allow you to experiment with different angles and whatnot for your flash. You should search the web for what you can and can't do with the offshoe chord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

bovril wrote: »
    It's an offshoe chord. It's a different thing than the battery pack.
    I know I am new to a lot of stuff here:) Should have seperated or worded my last post a little better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Nikon and Canon's external battery packs are an improvement on just using the flash's own internal batteries. Most Pros who need rapid fire or all day shooting eventually end up trading up to a Quantum Turbo Battery. The Turbo Slim is may favorite! See: http://www.qtm.com/Turbo/?res_set=yes&res=1024&resh=768

the Quantum batteries are a fortune and I have used one set in the battery pack for any wedding I have done and thats usually 12 hours coverage. The Quantum's are the premium product though and look and work very well..

Advertisement