Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL or SKY

Options
  • 18-03-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am moving into an apartment on my own. I am debating whether to get the TV from NTL or Sky. So far I have always had NTL and I am happy enough with the channels but I know from experience the customer service is woeful. Sky are supposed to be good but I am not sure if the channels with suit me. If I want MTV it looks like I have to get the music package even though its the only channel on the music package I am interested in. Also its seems you can't get BBC 3 and 4 on Sky. NTL advertise that you can. Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you want cheap good broadband, as well as a decent choice of channels, go for NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

No UTV on sky either.

(UTV, BBC3, BBC4 are available through 'other channels' but not on the EPG or recordable on sky+)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The music package is not separate.
    There's 6 "packages" of normal stations as well as separate add ons for the sport and movies. The basic 6 costs €31 a month.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 incis

Hi,

If I want MTV it looks like I have to get the music package even though its the only channel on the music package I am interested in
    That is true! Same applies to children channels. If you want Nickelodeon - will be paying 1.50 extra for it each month. It is hard to understand how SKY works (when you do you will realize they want your money and a lot of it! :D) after using NTL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Check with the landlord/management company, as in the apartment I am in, when I moved in we were tied to Broadworks, but can now, depending on terms and conditions of the shared dish with Sky, we may be able to get that in, but that is currently up in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Definitely check your lease. Many apartment devlopments don't allow satellite dishes and remove them so you could end up with a costly subscription and no tv service!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Check with the landlord/management company, as in the apartment I am in, when I moved in we were tied to Broadworks, but can now, depending on terms and conditions of the shared dish with Sky, we may be able to get that in, but that is currently up in the air.

what is it connected to, a sky hook?

I changed from ntl to sky last year due to channel choice (FX, the itvs, ch5 etc) but do miss setanta ireland and it is a bit awkward watching bbc3 and 4 but not that bad. I upgraded my sky + box to a 500g hard drive and have over 200 hrs recording available to me and I pay just 21 euro a month so it is cheaper than ntl, unless you have the bb or phone service. better picture quality aswell and doesn't crash like my ntl box used to (always when there was a decent film I wanted to tape)

Advertisement