Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT 6/24mb packages

Options
  • 18-03-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

I am on the BT 6 meg package.
    They say "Up to 6Mb in certain areas In all other areas up to 3Mb applies. **

I am only getting 3mb, so does this mean that my exchange hasn`t been upgraded by eircom yet? My line stats say I can handle 12meg or something so my line isn`t the problem.

their 24meg package says "Up to 24Mb in certain areas - In all other areas up to 7.6Mb applies. **"
    If I upgrade to this package will I get 7.6meg ? Surely not if I`m only getting 3meg on the 6meg package at the moment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

Shulgin wrote: »
    I am on the BT 6 meg package.
    They say "Up to 6Mb in certain areas In all other areas up to 3Mb applies. **

I am only getting 3mb, so does this mean that my exchange hasn`t been upgraded by eircom yet? My line stats say I can handle 12meg or something so my line isn`t the problem.

their 24meg package says "Up to 24Mb in certain areas - In all other areas up to 7.6Mb applies. **"
    If I upgrade to this package will I et 7.6meg ? Surely not if I`m only getting 3meg on the 6meg package at the moment?

I was on the 3/6 package and got 3mb, I upgraded to the 7.6/24 and I now get 7.6mb. Kinda confuses me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

if you can get 7.6 then 6 should have been available to you

I was on 3 .. found out my exchange had been upgraded to support up to 7.6 by emailing press_office@eircom.ie, then called BT and told them that I should now be able to get 6.

They did it after a bit of stupidness from their tech support

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

I`m thinking that the full 6mb is only provided if you are on one of the exchanges that BT have equipment in. When you sign up for the 24/7.6mb package you get the 7.6mb regardless of what exchange you are on.

Doesn`t really make sense though.

zod wrote: »
    if you can get 7.6 then 6 should have been available to you

I was on 3 .. found out my exchange had been upgraded to support up to 7.6 by emailing press_office@eircom.ie, then called BT and told them that I should now be able to get 6.

They did it after a bit of stupidness from their tech support

I thought about ringing them to ask them about that, but it's probably worth the extra tenner or so to have the 'unlimited' download limit.

I thought about ringing them to ask them about that, but it's probably worth the extra tenner or so to have the 'unlimited' download limit.
    True, I`m over my monthly cap already so the unlimited rather than the speed upgrade is more important to me.
    How long does it take to upgrade from the 6mb to 24mb unlimited package?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

I`m thinking that the full 6mb is only provided if you are on one of the exchanges that BT have equipment in. When you sign up for the 24/7.6mb package you get the 7.6mb regardless of what exchange you are on.

Doesn`t really make sense though.

Nope the BT have no equipment in my exchange .. I had to wait for eircom to upgrade the exchange to 7.6 before BT could resell 6

zod wrote: »
    Nope the BT have no equipment in my exchange .. I had to wait for eircom to upgrade the exchange to 7.6 before BT could resell 6

Interesting. If thats the case, BT are just handing out the slowest possible connections they can get away with.

True, I`m over my monthly cap already so the unlimited rather than the speed upgrade is more important to me.
    How long does it take to upgrade from the 6mb to 24mb unlimited package?

Took 2 or 3 days I think, not too long.

Advertisement