Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fujifilm Finepix Z1 camera pics poor

• 18-03-2009 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi

Have a Fujifilm Finepix Z1 digital camera and the pictures from it are very poor and come out blurred. Have went through all the settings and tried everything to fix it but no luck. Was wondering would anyone have any suggestions of what might be wrong.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Can you post some photos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Has it got a self timer or do you have a tripod?

set it on the edge of a table or on a tripod and set the self timer to take a pic and see if the result is blurred or not.

If it isn't blurred, then hand shake when taking shots might be the problem. If the shot is blurred, then the camera might have a problem.

Is the ISO set to a value that would let the camera use high shutter speeds, say 200-400 iso?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭nellie07

Hi, well I had a fuji film camera previous to this and it was only 2million pixels and the quality of the prints was excellent even when enlarged to say 7 x 5 or larger the images were crystal clear, where as this camera is 5 million pixels and crap! The photos taken in a bar at night are terrible. What should the iso setting be at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

nellie07 wrote: »
    Hi, well I had a fuji film camera previous to this and it was only 2million pixels and the quality of the prints was excellent even when enlarged to say 7 x 5 or larger the images were crystal clear, where as this camera is 5 million pixels and crap! The photos taken in a bar at night are terrible. What should the iso setting be at?

If the lighting is dim and you aren't using the flash, then you will need to set the ISO high, say 800. The pictures will probably be a bit grainier than normal but that will allow the highest possible shutter speed and reduce the chances of blur from camera shake. ISO is the equivalent of film speed with cameras that use film. High speed films tended to be grainier than slow speed films (low ISO).

Since it does have a flash, you could also make sure it is set to auto so it comes on in dim situations and make sure it is not turned off.

Can you post an example of a problem pic? You can upload a pic to imageshack.us and it will give you a link you can paste into a reply here so we can see it.

hi, thanks for the reply, they look ok on screen its when they are printed out Im getting that grainy effect, the camera was a present a few years ago and was 300 euro, I took it back to the store some time ago and explained my story and they said that the settings looked fine. Does anyone have a fujifilm finepix Z1 that they are happy with? I wonder if I went to fuji about it or is that a waste of time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

have a look here:

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/fujifilm/finepix_z1/

see if your pictures look considerably worse than any of the ones listed. it doesn't seem to be a particularly bad camera, i think you've got the ISO up too high.

all those pictures look great to be honest, crystal clear, is it possible there is a fault in this particular camera? where can I post a few pictures to let you know how bad they are!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

My posted a while back when getting really low quality shots with my Fuji... it turned out that in Auto mode it always went to and iso 800 - which gave what I can best describe as a watercolour effect. Blotchy.

Try shoot in aperture priority, it should also free up the option to change iso. upload an image and we can see though.
    where can I post a few pictures to let you know how bad they are!?

You can attach an image when replying or upload here and they'll give you the code to insert: http://www.wthax.org/

Hi, I've changed the settings a million times and still no good, here is a photo sample http://omg.wthax.org/fuji_z1_001_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

nellie there is not much wrong with that image apart from the red eye reduction not working to its full potential.

The z1 is five year old technology, at this stage and thats a long time in digital camera sensor development.

If you are looking to get pin sharp images from a point and shoot compact with an inferior lens. Even when new this particular camera had limitations and most of those related to flash and indoor shots along with noise and an inbuilt high contrast level.

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply, but if you look at the image with the magnifying zoom, the image is totally grainy, all the images come out like that, nothing like the images of photos others have posted of Z1.

I'd love someone to say, right I have this camera, whatever it is, it works great for family pictures, and nights out.... simple as that, Id like to have the option to enlarge it too

thanks for the reply, but if you look at the image with the magnifying zoom, the image is totally grainy, all the images come out like that, nothing like the images of photos others have posted of Z1.

I'd love someone to say, right I have this camera, whatever it is, it works great for family pictures, and nights out.... simple as that, Id like to have the option to enlarge it too

It is grainy but that's due to the poor sensor performance at ISO 400 and above. Upload an image taken outdoors and then compare them.

The image is 1.3 mb or thereabouts and the most you'll print from that is a 6x4

what would you recommend I buy?

soccerc wrote: »
    It is grainy but that's due to the poor sensor performance at ISO 400 and above. Upload an image taken outdoors and then compare them

You're right I've looked at ones taken outdoor and they're very good in comparison so I need a happy medium camera now!

what would you recommend I buy?

How long is a piece of string?

It all depends on budget and what you want to get from the camera and if you want to go point and shoot, bridge or dSLR - they all have their pros and cons.

It would be unfair of me to recommend anything I haven't used so can't really help.

No problem, thanks for your help - I dont even understand half the terms you just used there! So i need to do a bit of research!

That last one was 300 euro and crap Id prefer to pay good money for something im happy with, I'll keep my eyes open
    thanks

Advertisement