Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Febrile Seizures and Reflex Anoxic Seizures (RAS)

Options
  • 18-03-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Is there anyone out there with a child who suffers from febrile seizures (two +15 Min) and/or Reflex Anoxic Seizures (RAS) ?
    We have a little 1 year old who has had a variety of these events and we are starting to get worried that they might have some long term effects.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Our daughter had a febrile seizure a few months back - very scary when it happens. It didn't last long, but she was kept in hospital over night for observations. We were told that because it happened her so young there is a chance it could happen again.

As for your concerns, talk to your GP would be my advice. And best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

I'm not a parent (yet) but I spotted this topic and thought I would respond with my personal experience of the condition :pac:

I was diagnosed with RAS when I was a child; I had my first seizure when I was around 5 years old, after having a tooth removed awake in dentist chair (I was hit in the face with a seesaw :( ). Anyway, all went fine until I was leaving with my mum, and walking down the street. I lost consciousness and fitted briefly - at first they thought it was a reaction to the anaesthetic.

Seizures relatively frequent after that; every time I was in pain or shock of any kind, I passed out. I stubbed my toe, I was unconscious, I got too hot walking around the supermarket one day, I was unconscious, I got too out of breath doing sports at school, I was unconscious, I got my first spot as a teenager, I promptly passed out! Obviously each injection I needed was the same ordeal. I don't know how many I had overall, but I'd say on average I was having a seizure once or twice a month, sometimes a higher frequency over a short period.

I went through a good bit of testing to get the diagnosis, checked for epilepsy etc. but eventually was told it was RAS and that I might "grow out of it".

I'm 22 now, and can say that I HAVE finally grown out of it to a certain extent, though I don't think I ever will entirely. As time went on I learned to recognise the feelings of shock that preceded a seizure, and often managed to at least lie down and call for help. I learned to have something sweet available at all times in my handbag (it helps recovery to get blood sugar up) and had to keep schools/workplaces notified.

This last couple of years I've had 3 or 4 blood tests for various reasons, and managed to stay conscious for each one. Only seizures this last year have been when I got food poisoning (too much pain), when I got too hot and stressed in a crowded metro in summer (couldn't breathe because panicky), and post-op a couple of weeks ago when the clever nurse decided to put a little baggy with my bloody wisdom teeth next to my yoghurt and can of coke (I'm squeamish, particularly about my own blood and body parts).

I know it was quite stressful for my parents when I was growing up, but you do learn to cope with it eventually. Coming around from a seizure is very traumatic for the first few minutes, as you're sick and disorientated and barely able to speak, and it really really helps if your parent is as calm and reassuring as possible. Really you just need to make sure that the child isn't near anything they might hit while having a fit, and supply sugary stuff afterwards. Panic makes everything a lot lot worse! I remember when my little sister was born, I was 9 and went into the delivery room about 20 minutes after the birth. I took one look at the exhausted state of my mum, then at the screaming baby, and promptly hit the floor; when I came around (actually only unconscious a few seconds that time) and could hear things (but couldn't yet muster the ability to talk) all I could hear was a pair of nurses all panicked and flapping around me, and my Mum's resigned voice in the background "Don't worry, leave her be, she's fine. Does it all the time, she'll sit up in a few minutes... you'll just stress her." :P

Happy to answer if you have any specific questions :)

Advertisement