Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lawn

Options
  • 18-03-2009 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am planning to have a new lawn put down. My garden has lots of unkempt bushes, small trees and weeds in existing flowerbeds. The lawn has lots of moss and dandelions and other weeds in it. I am planning to get a few quotes in to remove all current plants, and dig out current trees. I really just want to start with a blank canvas, with some areas left as unplanted soil, but mostly new lawn, ie new sods paid.

Someone has suggested that what I need to do is to remove the trees, then rotivate the existing lawn & flower beds, then level, and spray with something callend Roundup. Then leave for 2-3 weeks, then lay new sods for the new lawn. Is this the correct way to do it? I dont want the old dendelions or the moss etc growing back up through or into the new lawn or the beds that I will plant over time.

Thanks,
    Philip.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi. I am planning to have a new lawn put down. My garden has lots of unkempt bushes, small trees and weeds in existing flowerbeds. The lawn has lots of moss and dandelions and other weeds in it. I am planning to get a few quotes in to remove all current plants, and dig out current trees. I really just want to start with a blank canvas, with some areas left as unplanted soil, but mostly new lawn, ie new sods paid.

Someone has suggested that what I need to do is to remove the trees, then rotivate the existing lawn & flower beds, then level, and spray with something callend Roundup. Then leave for 2-3 weeks, then lay new sods for the new lawn. Is this the correct way to do it? I dont want the old dendelions or the moss etc growing back up through or into the new lawn or the beds that I will plant over time.

Thanks,
    Philip.

Just make sure the sequence is correct, start with spraying ........removal.......rotovating......planting ........and finish with rolling grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Just make sure the sequence is correct, start with spraying ........removal.......rotovating......planting ........and finish with rolling grass.
    Thanks for the reply.

Just so I'm sure - should the current lawn be removed or scraped off in some way (this could be really expensive i would imagine) or can it be rotivated after spraying? i.e. does removal refer to the removal of the trees etc, above ground stuff?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Thanks for the reply.

Just so I'm sure - should the current lawn be removed or scraped off in some way (this could be really expensive i would imagine) or can it be rotivated after spraying? i.e. does removal refer to the removal of the trees etc, above ground stuff?

Thanks.

Area size will dictate what's practical costwise. Typical urban size garden, I'd say spray with Roundup, and leave for 7-10 days (7 if current temps stay around) until everything is dead brown on surface. Area can be scrubbed to remove loose dead material before commencing rotovating ground.

Larger areas (0.5 acre +), spray area, leave and then turn/plough area.

Either case larger weed/thistle/knettle etc should be removed.

Check the quote for details, if unclear ask Qs. Tree removal should be clearly itemised and also proposed methods to be used. Some for example might try and simply cut at ground level and leave stump an dtreatment should also be included and clearly specified. last thing you want is trying to plant around stumps, deal with possible re-generation, or achieving good levels etc.

A professional proposal should clearly specify methodology and costs and it is no harm to enquire about proposed methodolgy. Design must also be considered when determining site clearance/ground preparation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks Sonnenblumen

Advertisement