Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to re-introduction of third level fees

Options
  • 18-03-2009 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Fine Gael have proposed an alternative to Third Level fees. Instead of an upfront registration fee and new annual fees, students would pay 30% of the cost of their course in extra PRSI repayments when they get a job.

Seems like a decent idea, and would actually encourage some more people from poorer backgrounds to go to University.

A big problem is that people who permanently emigrate never have to pay for their course.

All in all, best proposal I've heard on paying for third level education. I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0318/breaking33.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I wish people would stop suggesting things when it isnt even confirmed if theyre coming in.........(Particularly regarding next year coming)

I'd rather worry about matters at hand, like ya know, the leaving cert, and statements like this from FG are just distracting! Hopefully confirmation will come with the mini-budget.

Also I think the more they reduce the fee with extra PRSI ideas etc, means there wont be the interest free loan things for those who need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Well, I think this statement is aimed more at parents and current students than us leaving cert students.

Well, if you're paying for your education through a tax that you only pay once you've reached a certain income, it would suggest that you wouldn't be in any great need of an interest-free loan to pay for university. Although, there are problems for those who have to pay for accomodation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Fad, it's likely-ish that fees are going to come in (though interestingly enough, the reasoning for them coming in has changed from "Universities need more funding to be better!" to "We don't want to give the universities money any more, so you shall"), and even if it's not certain yet, considering options is always a good idea.

If they were to bring this particular scheme in, as soon as I'd graduated I'd just take myself and my skills elsewhere. ;p

HQvhs wrote: »
    Well, I think this statement is aimed more at parents and current students than us leaving cert students.

Well, if you're paying for your education through a tax that you only pay once you've reached a certain income, it would suggest that you wouldn't be in any great need of an interest-free loan to pay for university. Although, there are problems for those who have to pay for accomodation etc.

But then Bat O'Keefe made that statement that current 3rd level students wouldn't have to pay (ie I wish they'd just get their act together).

Its kinda frustrating especially for my parents who while times were good were paying over the norm taxwise (By no means rich, but comfortable) then as soon as times get rough (Nationally and personally.....), the education they have kinda already paid for is gone and they have to pay for it.

Fad, it's likely-ish that fees are going to come in (though interestingly enough, the reasoning for them coming in has changed from "Universities need more funding to be better!" to "We don't want to give the universities money any more, so you shall"), and even if it's not certain yet, considering options is always a good idea.

If they were to bring this particular scheme in, as soon as I'd graduated I'd just take myself and my skills elsewhere. ;p

I know just trying to delay my realisation of the inevitable :).
    Funding thing is definitly a bit questionable, desperate times call for desperate measures seemingly.

+1 on going abroad, Canada here I come. Or do the real Irish thing and head to Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

But if you had a job offer straight out of college would you turn it down and take the gamble of seeking employment in another country all for the sake of slightly lower taxes, providing work is your sole reason for leaving? If you wanted to travel then it'd be great as an alternative for fees though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

A better idea was suggested by my local Green counciller who said the high fees should be put on the degrees that aren't really needed by the country and lower fees on the degrees the country needs.

Kournikova wrote: »
    A better idea was suggested by my local Green counciller who said the high fees should be put on the degrees that aren't really needed by the country and lower fees on the degrees the country needs.

What degrees are "Needed"?

I doubt that a local councilor will know the exact economic climate in 4 or so years. Also there are few degrees that are certain to provide immediate employment after 3 level.

I think that is an AWFUL idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Things like Sociology and all that random stuff, or thinks like Primary Teaching that have a massive surplus.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

You can't force people to do a degree because it is "needed". If there is a demand for a degree, then by all means let people do it! If too many people do a certain degree, then jobs will be scarcer in that area and they won't find employment. People will then stop doing those degrees and the cycle continues. A good example of this is computer courses a few years ago, and construction-related courses this year.
    Who's to say what the economic climate will be like in a few years time?

Anyway, the government are making a complete botched job of this fees debacle. "We will, we won't, we might but we won't tell you when." It makes it a pain to plan for University, especially for families who need to know how much/if to save for college.

I don't mind them bringing in fees, it's about time we contributed something in a fair manner for education. Just let us know when they're coming in, and do it a sensible and equitable manner and we'll all be relatively happy.

It's this waiting and apprehensiveness I can't stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Just decrease the dole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Listening to RTE1 radio this morning, the speaker ( either a minister or a person on board of reccommendations, i didn't catch the name) was talking about introduction of fees. The conversation basically stated that they couldn't give their decision at the moment until the budget, however it was basically sure that they were coming in this year or next year, with September 2010 being more likely.

Listening to RTE1 radio this morning, the speaker ( either a minister or a person on board of reccommendations, i didn't catch the name) was talking about introduction of fees. The conversation basically stated that they couldn't give their decision at the moment until the budget, however it was basically sure that they were coming in this year or next year, with September 2010 being more likely.

If they leave it till 2010, and Bat O'Keefe goes back on his word regarding not hitting students already in college with fees, he'll be getting more than shoes thrown at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Kournikova wrote: »
    Things like Sociology and all that random stuff, or thinks like Primary Teaching that have a massive surplus.

And have no fees on what... say Medicine?
    :rolleyes:

Every degree has a value, and was chosen by a student because he/she thinks that it is valuable to both them and society. How would you individually value degrees? Would a degree from Trinity be of a greater value than one from UCD? Would IT's hold any value at all?

Meh. Think things through before you suggest 'em.

Advertisement