Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emmerdale [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'm still not convinced by Aaron's story...i think theres more to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I know it's a horrible story but there's just something not adding up for me, I can't put my finger on it.

fin12 wrote: »
    I know it's a horrible story but there's just something not adding up for me, I can't put my finger on it.

Aaron knows that theres no chance of Gordon being charged...why would he let him away with it..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

I really hope they don't put Cain together with Charity again it's been done to death and it'll just be a rehash. Mind you I think Charitys character is past it's sell by date now, she's schemed, sold her child, had a lesbian affair, married more than once for money, stolen, cheated business partners, cheated on her partners, betrayed her daughter's trust on numerous occasions so I don't think anything she does can shock anymore.

I'm also in the somethings not right with Aarons accusations camp as well even though Gordon is obviously a nasty piece of work I'm not convinced. Danny Miller is playing a blinder either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

i just find it very irritating that they have just added the plot now and changed the character in an albeit excellent acted few weeks.

I know they are continuously coming up with plots to suit the entertainment but this particular one is sooooo heavy that it essentially destroys a character that it is clear from his first stint was definitely not intended to be a paedophile, and most definitely not one who abused his own son. Its clear they have just another misfortune to Aarons life for the sake of it.

I don't buy that Aaron blocked it out. He was never hostile really with his father, only one event when his father threw him out for hitting his girlfriend or something. There was so many different interactions between Aaron, Chas and Gordon over the years. Aaron never showed fear towards Gordpn, always was close and respected him.

Now he turns up and their interaction is wholly and instantaneously different. Perhaps he has years to think about it and come to terms with it, that can happen and I'm sure that is the line the writers are going down. But the level of detail Aaron conveyed of the event isnt one that can just be forgotten and then resurface after twenty years from my, albeit admittedly limited, knowledge of PTSD. You cant just burden that up in the back of your mind and then recall it to that level of detail.

Its excellently acted and all but its just something which has taken away from the story from me.

I know others have different views and I respect that.

• Advertisement

Does anyone think there was any truth in the story Gordan was saying about how a soccer coach was found out to have been molesting children around the time Aaron was in the soccer training as well????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

The thing is Aaron loved his dad,so didnt say anything in case he went away as well.But i agree there is something i cant put my finger on.Maybe it was his stepmum and hes blaming Gordon.

dubstarr wrote: »
    The thing is Aaron loved his dad,so didnt say anything in case he went away as well.But i agree there is something i cant put my finger on.Maybe it was his stepmum and hes blaming Gordon.

Its just at the back of my head that the writers only wrote this story a few months ago, meaning that they have essentially changed one longstanding character's background (Aaron) and destroyed another just for the sake of a sensationalist plot.

I think such a life changing plot should never be introduced when it changes developed characters so drastically.

Just my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Does anyone know the name of the piece of music that was playing in Gordans house - when he returned home and Cain was inside and had turned the music on. I really liked that music/song ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I don't know if Aaron is mistaken in who abused him or not , i honestly don't think he is though . And I think it's a totally believable back story re his self harming and that.

Concerning Aarons relationship with Gordon previously , re him idolising his Dad . it reminds me of an ill treated dog , who is forever trying to please his master , or a child who has done something wrong , and is trying to please their parent , in the hope that the smack/slap/beating/abuse won't happen again. Along the lines of --" if I show them I love them , I'll be good , i'll do whatever they want , then it might not happen to me again ".

Just my take on it , am open to be slaughtered here :)

• Advertisement

well considering he used to hit Gordon's wife, wreck his office and go on drug errands while living with Gordon, he wasn't very good at being good!!!

We all know this story wasnt intended to be initially written for Gordons character so the writers are essentially rewriting history to develop a plot. Thats my issue. Yes, it is a believable notion that someone might block something out and self harm. But its the fact the writers are using this now so as to rewrite the characters' history is a bit meh for me.

Just like Kats second baby plot. I just cant buy into new plots which rewrite such huge aspects of a characters' history.

I'll tell ya one thing..i'll never enjoy a fish and chips again...:p...

BTW....the song was Neighbourhood by.Space...

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

I don't really understand why people are confused, I thought Gordon admitted it (eventually) when Chas confronted him at his house. Then she told Aaron and then Aaron said he would go to the police because Gordon finally admitted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

alleystar wrote: »
    I don't really understand why people are confused, I thought Gordon admitted it (eventually) when Chas confronted him at his house. Then she told Aaron and then Aaron said he would go to the police because Gordon finally admitted it.

Gordon actually just said "prove it" not yes I did it so still ambiguous. Aaron only agreed to go to the police to stop Cain and even then didn't look comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

piperh wrote: »
    Gordon actually just said "prove it" not yes I did it so still ambiguous. Aaron only agreed to go to the police to stop Cain and even then didn't look comfortable.

And if I remember correctly, Chas' actual words to Aaron were, "he admitted it", sure he may not have said, "I raped Aaron" but once Chas was ardent that she didn't believe him, he became hostile towards her, started goading her, deflecting blame etc. A complete turnaround from his initial reaction towards her when he thought he could manipulate her into believing him.

It may be slightly ambiguous but not that much. I mean, no one would act that way if they hadn't done it, you'd still be outright denying it. No one would take the rap for sexually abusing their own child to protect someone else either. That's ludicrous.

kjbsrah1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of the piece of music that was playing in Gordans house - when he returned home and Cain was inside and had turned the music on. I really liked that music/song ...

Neighborhood by Space.

Were around during the peak of the britpop era while not being major players. Had another song 'the female of the species'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭pigtown

well considering he used to hit Gordon's wife, wreck his office and go on drug errands while living with Gordon, he wasn't very good at being good!!!

We all know this story wasnt intended to be initially written for Gordons character so the writers are essentially rewriting history to develop a plot. Thats my issue. Yes, it is a believable notion that someone might block something out and self harm. But its the fact the writers are using this now so as to rewrite the characters' history is a bit meh for me.

Just like Kats second baby plot. I just cant buy into new plots which rewrite such huge aspects of a characters' history.

We do?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Gordon also implied to Chas that Aaron deserved it, needed punishing so I do think he abused him

pigtown wrote: »
    We do?

Well it wasn't? ? They are completely different writing team that wrote this plot!! When they created the character 13 years ago di you think they said "ok let's also make him a child abuser but not reveal it until 13 years time....." I could be wrong here...

Well it wasn't? ? They are completely different writing team that wrote this plot!! When they created the character 13 years ago di you think they said "ok let's also make him a child abuser but not reveal it until 13 years time....." I could be wrong here...

Your correct. While it is good that they are exploring this issue, in this case there is no storyline consistency. That said i would say the majority of the audience wouldnt exactly have huge intelligence or memory hence the continous blatant rapid ageing of youngsters in these shows

• Advertisement

Your correct. While it is good that they are exploring this issue, in this case there is no storyline consistency. That said i would say the majority of the audience wouldnt exactly have huge intelligence or memory hence the continous blatant rapid ageing of youngsters in these shows

a tad harshl on viewers but I agree with your sentiments!

- There could be fresh challenges ahead for Rakesh and Priya which will put strain on their relationship…
    - The arrival of his sister into his life is about to turn things upside down once more for Aaron…
    - As Kirin hits the bottle, can Vanessa trust him around baby Johnny after a shock outburst?
    - A traumatic from Carly’s past is set to lead to big heartache…
    - There’s another wedding on the cards – but will it go ahead?
    - A surprise proposal could have seriously awkward results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭pigtown

Oh I thought you meant that the storyline was written for another character first. Still though, a character's past doesn't have to be revealed all at once, and he hasn't been in the show all that often so it's not like Aaron's seen him much since he first came to the village.

pigtown wrote: »
    Oh I thought you meant that the storyline was written for another character first. Still though, a character's past doesn't have to be revealed all at once, and he hasn't been in the show all that often so it's not like Aaron's seen him much since he first came to the village.

he has been in the show many times over the years.

of course not but it is just so inconsistent with his earlier persona. I get that they alter the characters' histories or fabricate other parts of such to suit a plot but this story ihas just too major an impact on two characters. its just my opinion. I actually would have invested myself more in the story if it was another male that was close to Aaron during his youth. A teacher? A soccer coach? A brother or friend of Gordon? I just didnt buy it as much when they drastically altered a character's (in fact two characters') respective histories so much.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Isn't Dot in Eastenders??

Anyone having problems with UTV player, keeps freezing.

Fair play to Adam wanting to go sort Gordon with Cain for Aaron

Ban me for swearing (please don't) but what a colosial thundercunt Gordon is. That scene in the dingle sitting room with all the family & again in the pub was heartbreaking & lovely to see showing support for Aaron

no poilce just dingle justice but I guess a storyline like this they have to go by the books

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

You're correct. While it is good that they are exploring this issue, in this case there is no storyline consistency. That said i would say the majority of the audience wouldn't exactly have huge intelligence or memory hence the continous blatant rapid ageing of youngsters in these shows

Just trying to decide which category I fit into... :D

I dropped all soaps for a good number of years, so there are definitely storylines and characters that I wouldn't know the full background to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement