Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork City

Options
  • 18-03-2009 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Greetings... I will be moving to Cork City in April and looking for some details. I recently posted on another forum but did not get any answers.

1. Getting to Dublin - I won't have a car for a few months, so I'm looking for the best way to get to Dublin. Is the rail service recommended? bus?

2. Food - I'm looking for recommendation on places to grab affordable lunch. I will be living around Saint Luke's Cross. Sandwich shops? American fast food?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Jhazon wrote: »
    Greetings... I will be moving to Cork City in April and looking for some details. I recently posted on another forum but did not get any answers.

1. Getting to Dublin - I won't have a car for a few months, so I'm looking for the best way to get to Dublin. Is the rail service recommended? bus?

2. Food - I'm looking for recommendation on places to grab affordable lunch. I will be living around Saint Luke's Cross. Sandwich shops? American fast food?

Rail service is expensive, bus is 20euro return (Aircoach)

No real food places on St Luke's Cross except the chipper up the road (Dillon's Cross), best bet would be to walk down to MacCurtain St loadsa food gaffs there (Subway, Hillbillies, indian food etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Basicaly what spitfire said. Trains can be expensive but u can save some money by buying them on the internet and it would depend on how often u intend on going back up to dublin.

Yeah just head to the outskirts of town for food.Some grand places around there depending on what u are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jhazon

I can walk down to the island to grab a lunch.

Reason I ask about rail is because the bus route is 4 hours and the rail appears to be 3 hours... any mostly because rail is nearly extinct here in Canada (last train I took was in Germany in 1999) and it would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

The best way to get from cork to dublin is to fly with ryanair. They always have no tax deals where u just pay like €5 or €10 for your flight. My sis goes to UCD and just block books a bunch of them. Your just have to book them 2 weeks in adance. The train is alright. There is one every hour. It takes 2hrs 50mins. If you go on off-peak times you u can get it for €20 single. It is exspensive but i would def prefer it to having to get the bus. If i know a good bit in advance i'm going up i always check the for cheap ryanair flys up. its very handy.

Places to eat lunch around St Lukes. I dunno if the pubs there do something for lunch but 2 chinese restaurants there don't open till 4pm i think. You could go just 5mins down the road to McCurtain street. loads of restaurants there(subway, indian, pizzeria, issacs, hotel, chippers). The Indian is my fav and they have a good lunch time deal, a kebab, chips and a drink for €5.50. The chicken tikka kebab is really good and they put it in really nice naan bread too. Hillybillys fried chicken on the same street do savage breast in a bun!

Aright hope that helps :)

Thanks for the info, it's very good. Another, question - My family back in Canada is going to set up the computer with Skype. Skype currently offers a Kildare telephone number for approx. $10 month. Question is, if I'm in Cork, is it local or national calling to ring Kildare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Thanks for the info, it's very good. Another, question - My family back in Canada is going to set up the computer with Skype. Skype currently offers a Kildare telephone number for approx. $10 month. Question is, if I'm in Cork, is it local or national calling to ring Kildare?
    Calls outside the 021 Cork city area code would be national I believe however depending on your land line package you could be getting all national calls at the local call price (with Eircom, national calls after 6pm are treated as local anyway AFAIR).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Rail service is expensive, bus is 20euro return (Aircoach)

I thought the Aircoach was €12 return (destination is Westmoreland Streetand) and €18 if you go all the way to Dublin airport??

Nevertheless I recommend the bus, takes about 4 hours and is pretty comfy. It stops half way at a place called Urlingford right outside a petrol station....so you can use the toilet, buy some food and tea / coffee etc.

Not sure if you know anyone in Cork but we have regular meetups if you fancy joining us sometime :)

Edit: Just checked the website and the prices are a bit confusing - for me at least, seems kind of like it is cheaper going to the airport even though it is further?? The prices I posted are the ones I paid when I went on the aircoach a year ago so the other guy is prob right.

here is the prices:
    www.aircoach.ie/aircoach.fares/php

and the timetable:
    www.aircoach.ie/table.routes.cork.php

Good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

used to be twelve not so anymore.. damn recession. Still way better than Bus Eireann tho.

Yeah, Bus Eireann was the only service I checked and found it to be expensive so I put the thought of taking the bus away.

Another question... anyone know which pubs are the best to catch Liverpool FC games? Wouldn't want to stop by another supporters place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Brannigans on Pine St (easy walk form St Lukes) is a Liverpool pub

http://www.qype.ie/place/173155-Brannigans-Bar-Cork

If you walk up to Dillon's Cross you can get a good sandwich or a curry in the Kerymman.

Oh yea, I fly to Dublin every Wednesday with Rynair, I normally land a return journey for an average of €30, defintely the way to go.
    The off-peak trains are €20 when booked on www.irishrail.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Aircoach is cheapest by far. Comfortable, reliable and direct. Not quite as fast as train but much cheaper.

Wonderful! Great help!

Now, what about bike rentals? Is there a spot to rental biks in the downtown area or Saint Lukes?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

nevada smith is a liverpool pub close to maccurtain street,if your looking for a walk :pac:

This should finished up my questions, many thanks for the responses:

1. Are there any Billards/Pool halls in the downtown area?
    2. Internet cafe/placed to get internet access? Plus, does anyone know if these places offer web cam (so that I may web cam the folks back home)
    3. what about bike rentals? Is there a spot to rental biks in the downtown area or Saint Lukes?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

theres pool in the leisureplex on macurtain street and theres also internet cafes on mcurtain street,bike rentals im not so sure about.

Leisureplex is very close to St Lukes but it is a bit of a dump.

You are better off heading to the Mardyke http://www.mardyke.com. It is a much better set up, far cleaner & not full of kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Brannigans on Pine St (easy walk form St Lukes) is a Liverpool pub
    nevada smith is a liverpool pub

Same pub ! But worth posting twice - great spot..

KerranJast wrote: »
    Calls outside the 021 Cork city area code would be national I believe however depending on your land line package you could be getting all national calls at the local call price (with Eircom, national calls after 6pm are treated as local anyway AFAIR).

If you were to get your family set up on an Irish Skype or wwwBlueface.ie number then you could call them for free with the right package here.

I would suggest BT or Perlico, you can get free local national & UK calls plus 1Mb BB for under €50 a month. Not sure if it is outside your budget or needs:

http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb_totaltalk.shtml

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I know a mate who the odd time flys from cork to dublin just so you know it can be got quite cheap

mayordenis wrote: »
    I know a mate who the odd time flys from cork to dublin just so you know it can be got quite cheap

I fly up and down every Wednesday. It has cost me between €24 -€54 return including all charges the last 6 times. There is always deals on.

• Advertisement

Wonderful. In my province of New Brunswick, which is actually approx. 10,000sqkm smaller than Ireland, it would cost €200+ to travel the same distance (Cork to Dublin)... plus we have no train service and out bus service is terrible. Fortunately we have good highways and cheap petrol (for now!). In the 1980s our government thought it would be smart to remove the train service and tracks since the future is in automobiles....

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

not to be rude or anything, but i think you should just land and let the rest be an adventure! what brings you here anyway? staying long?

Puibo, I'm always the type to hit the ground running and not take weeks educating myself. Should be in the city for a couple months then moving on.

Rothar Cycle Tours, www.rotharcycletours.com, is charging €80.00 per week for bike rentals.... is there a venue out there to read classified ads on buying a bike in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Buy and Sell is your best bet for that, or try one of the cycle shops around, find Capwell Cycles (Capwell Road) are great to deal with. There's other cycle shops: off the Coal Quay, by Victoria Mills, West Douglas Village come to mind, they'd all have a selection of second hand bikes.

Advertisement